Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > 36 hours in Seoul: where to stay and what to do

36 hours in Seoul: where to stay and what to do

Sep 8th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

36 hours in Seoul: where to stay and what to do

I have a 36 hour layover in Seoul on my way to Sri Lanka in Nov. Where are the best (most central) areas to stay? Do you have any hotel recs? With my limited time, what should I and which areas should I explore? I'm a single female traveling, so I want to spend some of time eating and shopping too. I appreciate any suggestions.
Sep 8th, 2018, 08:11 PM
kja

36 hours is not much for Seoul -- you will need to be selective. You shouldn't have any difficulty finding wonderful foods in Seoul. I'm another solo female traveler, but not a shopper; that said, I bought gifts for family and friends in Insadong, which I would recommend for anyone who does want to shop.

You might find some useful in my (long!) trip report; the sections on Seoul are near the beginning and the end, and I provide information on two different accommodations there, one a bare-bones hotel (the Hostel Korea 11th: Changdeokgung, which still gets very good reviews), the other a traditional (if low-end) hanok (the Haemil Guesthouse, which also still gets very good reviews).
4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea

Hope that helps!
Sep 8th, 2018, 10:58 PM

We stayed in Insadong at the Ibis. Not an especially exciting hotel but good value, helpful staff and an excellent location. I would definitely recommend Gyeongbokgung Palace which was close to our hotel and also Bukchon Hanok Village which is a short walk from the places some details and photos form our visit on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/07/12/seoul/

Not a shopper so I can really comment but my wife did by a load of very good and cheap silk scarves at Namdaemun Market.

For eating I would seek out the dumpling restaurants- amazing! Worth going to Seoul just for those.
Sep 8th, 2018, 11:29 PM
kja

Interesting! I thought Bukchon incredibly over-hyped. JMO.
Sep 9th, 2018, 05:36 AM

Wouldn’t these forums be boring if we all liked the same things!
Sep 9th, 2018, 11:58 AM
kja

@ crellson: Absolutely! And not just these forums, but life in general. Vive la difference!
Sep 11th, 2018, 02:30 AM

If you are interesting shopping and eating, check out Hongdae area for all things indie and fashionable. It is home to some of the largest shopping brands and vast number of cafes and Korean BBQ restaurants.

Search this Thread