North India Itinerary - really rough

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help on my South India itinerary - we're planning a 10 week trip to India starting mid January/14.

We'll start in Tamil Nadu and travel to Kerala, and then spend 2 weeks in a villa in Goa. Starting late February we plan to travel North - following is the first cut at a rough itinerary. It's approximately 28 days in total (including Nepal) but there is flexibility in it.

Mumbai
Udaipur
Rawla Narlai
Nimaj
Jodhpur
Manvar
Jaisalmer
Bikaner
Jaipur
Ranthambore
Agra
Varanasi
Kathmandu
Delhi

I haven't decided on the number of days in every location - right now most are 2; there are only a couple of one nighters and Nepal is 4. I have to figure out the best number of nights everywhere, but am interested in comments in general on the locations and flow of the itinerary.

My biggest question now is whether to go to Ranthambore or not ---- the animal sightings can be hit or miss as I understand it.

Thanks!
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, four days for Nepal leaves 24 days for 13 places. In India. I hope you have a rest cure planned for afterwards.

I suggest you lay this out, day by day, <i>with travel time</i>. And then cut it back. And then post again.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 09:00 PM

we are glad to help you plan your itinerary - i will suggest you as below -

Day 01 - Mumbai - udaipur
Day 02 - Udaipur sightseeing
Day 03 - Udaipur to Rawala Nirali via ranakpur
Day 04 - Rawala Narli to Jodhpur
Day 05 - Jodhpur sightseeing + driver to Manvar
Day 06 - Manvar to Jaisalmer
Day 07 - Jalsaimer to Bikaner
Day 08 - Bikaner to Jaipur
Day 09 - Jaipur sightseeing
Day 10 - Jaipur to Ranthambhore
Day 11 - Ranthambhore
Day 12 - Ranthambhore to Agra via Shikri
Day 13 - Agra + overnight train to vasransi

this itinerary perfect as per your only if you want to less time than i will suggest you skip bikaner from your itinerary and i will suggest you new itinerary -
Day 01 - Arrival Udaipur + Half day sightseeing
Day 02 - Udaipur sightseeing
Day 03 - Udaipur to Rawala Niarli
Day 04 - Narali to Jodhpur + Sightseeing
Day 05 - Jodhpur to Jaisalmer
Day 06 - Jaisalmer to Manvar
Day 07 - Manvar to Jodhpur + train to Jaipur
Day 08 - Jaipur sightseeing
Day 09 - Jaipur - Ranthmbhore
Day 10 - Ranthambhore
Day 11 - Ranthmbhore to agra
Day 12 Agra + Overnight train to varansi
Day 13 - Varansi

thanks nimbera
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd - thanks,yes I already have all the drive times and I've done a Google map to see the flow. We will be traveling in a car.

And as mentioned I have the flexibility to add more nights (or subtract locations - the first place I might do that is Ranthambhore). I posted more for thoughts regarding the locations/flow .... rather than the number of nights in each location.

Thanks for your input Nimbera!
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nimbera's input is a great example of what NOT to do.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:01 AM

No kidding!

Elizabeth, I think you know my approach to planning how many nights. I figure one night in a place means just a place to sleep - no time to see/do/experience anything. Two nights is just one full day. This would be for a stop where there is only one thing I want to do/see, etc. I consider three nights a minimum stay for a place I'd like to experience.

I would recommend more than 4 nights in Kathmandu. It's city amazingly dense with sights and experiences. We spent 8 nights there last trip and covered all of the world heritage sites in the KTM Valley. You could probably visit all of the sites in 5 full days. You want to allow plenty of time for the experience. photos at www.marlandc.com
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:06 AM

Hello Elizabeth,
My husband and I just completed a month of travel in India. While our schedule was flexible and we thought about visiting other parts of the country, we really wanted to ENJOY our time and not to be rushing around from place to place so spent most of the time in Rajasthan alone (with a week in Leh, which was simply stunning if you can put that into your schedule and change some other things around).

I would also skip Bikaner and I would spend more than just a day in Jaisalmer and Udaipur as they were our favourite places of all.

We also went to Varanasi (flew from Delhi then took the overnight train to Agra) and were there during some of the worst flooding in decades. Everything was waterlogged and filthy and, because we spent all the time with a very poor Indian friend, loved being there.

However, two weeks later my husband contracted malaria so I urge you to take malaria precautions when you are in this region (we have lived in Cambodia for three years and, foolishly, didn't give it a thought which we dearly regret).

We've been writing on our blog about our trip so this may be helpful - and also feel free to email me directly if we can be of any assistance. Our blog is at www.TheMeanderthals.com

Namaste,
Gabi
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all - I thought it would help not putting the number of days in and just looking at the destinations on their own. I share everyone's opinion about extended times as often as possible! The only single nights we'll do are those to shorten the drive.

And I can easily add 7 to 10 more days so know I'll have enough nights.

Kathie - your pics are lovely. Our godchildren (brother and sister) both taught in Kathmandu for 6 months and have introduced us to the School Principal so we will extend our stay. I want to see Everest - did you fly Buddha Air? Am considering a trip to Everest View Inn as well.

Gabi - so sorry to hear about your husband -- hope he is better now. Your blog is lovely - I will have a closer look at Leh, which looks beautiful.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM

Elizabeth, I did the flight to see Everest when I was in Nepal in the 1990s. We had good views this trip on our flight on the way into Kathmandu, so decided not to do the flight.

Gabi, I'm sorry to hear that your husband contracted malaria. Your post is a good reminder to people who think it won't happen to them. I hope your husband is feeling better soon.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 08:58 AM

Add as many days as you possibly can. Car travel in India always takes much much longer than you think it possibly can. Plus you might want to see something or even stop along the way. The villages are often as interesting as the cities. Make the car travel time worthwhile. I am sue you we're not planning to sleep on the car until you arrive at your next hotel. Four days in Kath is very short especially if you want to see Everest. And it is worth seeing.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM

I have travelled in most of India, from Ladakh to Kanyakumari. - And all the way to Mon. India is one amazing country and have so many different wonders and experiences. Looking at your travelplan, I would cut out a few places, so you have time to experience the real India, and the people, see dance shows, and really go below the surface. Since Varanasi is quite in the other end, I would remove this destination and save it for next time.
I hope you have one amazing time in India and Nepal.
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Topping for comments specific to the places on the itinerary rather than the number of nights...........