3 nights in the Meking Delta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning 3 nights in the Meking Delta, ending in Chou Doc, on the next day taking a speed boat to Phenn Phen. Has anyone done this trip. If so was it interesting?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 01:47 PM

If the speedboat is negotiable I'd arrange another way to Phnom Penh. In my research about Laos and Cambodia, I've found that speedboats are not the recommmended form of transport ever...because they are dangerous first and because the noise is unbelievable second and because the position you have to sit in and the rough ride make your body feel terrible. I've read enough horror stories to make the discomfort sound good compared to the danger.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:29 PM

You might read this account of a speedboat trip elsewhere on the Mekong. There are plenty of stories just like this and much worse if you google "mekong speedboat." http://dakiar.travellerspoint.com/16/ I don't think the particular start and finish point of the boats make much difference in the experience. Also, from what I've read, you are still at least 2 hours from Phnom Penh at the end of the boat ride.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM

I just can't manage to get this all in one post
http://www.travelfish.org/faq_answer...604c3565622567
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM

I just read your other post about this topic, and you said you didn't enjoy the boats in Bangkok to go into the klongs. I think those boats are rather tame and comfortable and quiet compared to the Mekong speed boats.
Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

From Chau Doc to Phnom Penh there are several boat options.

1 The Victoria Hotels group run a 10 seat (the upholstered seats are actually very comfortable) speedboat for the 4hrs trip. Leaves at 7am and cost $75. Check this site for more information http://www.victoriahotels-asia.com/t...oget.php 

2 There is a new fast boat service from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh that takes around 4 hrs and cost $25. These are new boats, quite comfortable and are equipped with a toilet. They are much better than the regular fast ferries and just about as good as the Victory Hotel ferry. Email: [email protected]. for booking and more information. In Phnom Penh the travel agent for booking is Sun Rise Booking No 249 St. Preah Sisowath. Phone 0855.23.223.579.

3 Regular fast speedboat for $15 - not that comfortable, no toilet. not really recommended.

Notenbsp;The boat makes a stop at Vinh Xuong Gate in Vietnam to do your exit visa. Then it stops again at Khau Kaam Samnor Gate in Cambodia for immigration procedure then continue to Sisovat Pier in Phnom Penh. Visa into Cambodia is available here - $20 plus 2 phots. No visa on arrival is available when entering Vietnam this way so you must have one before hand.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:43 AM

"Scotters" information looks really helpful. Must be good news to know there is now a choice of boats to P.Phen. I went by the Victoria speedboat about 3 years ago - it was a wonderful trip. Yes, it was very expensive then - and a noisy engine but the Delta is beautiful and so interesting.

Have a good trip. Pat
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Scotters, Thanks for the information. We are staying at the Victoria in Chau Doc and plan to use their boat.

Kim I have read about some very bad boat experiences, And my son who is teaching in Thailand has had some very hair rasing experiences on boats. but this seems safe and a very efficient way to avoid going back to HCMC with an overnight and AM flight. Also my boat in Bkk was great. I had visited the floating markets over 30 years ago when it was a very beautiful and pristine experience. So I was in a state of shock to see how much it had changed.

BUT MY MAIN QUESTION IS for all you well traveled fodorities will 3 NIGHTS IN THE DELTA be a little redundant. I have having a hard time finding good information. Most places sound about the same. We would like to travel with my daughter and her University group, I cannot say that my husband is overjoyed with working and staying in a farmers cooperative. But it could be a
very interesting
Thanks in advance for any Meking Delta information!!!!!!!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

I did not mention the other places we are staying in the Delta. Long Xuyen, Cho Moi and Chau Doc. Except for Chau Doc I belive we have flexibility.

The planning of this trip has really dragged on since we have been spending alot of time in the mountains- hiking,biking etc. in Wa. state and have been home very little.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.