Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   21-days in Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/21-days-in-asia-135423/)

Marianne Jul 2nd, 2001 04:54 PM

21-days in Asia

Hi there. <BR>My husband and are planning to take this trip Dec/Jan. We want to see and do as much as we can since it will be a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. We're active and like to experience the unique culture. Any tips or suggested itineraries would be most helpful. Thanks!!

C Jul 2nd, 2001 06:09 PM

Beijing and that area of China is very cold and dismal during the winter months, so I'd avoid that region.

xxx Jul 3rd, 2001 05:18 AM

Along the sames lines as the previous post, expect cold weather in northern Asian destinations (e.g., Japan, Korea, etc.). If you are looking for warm weather, stick with southeast Asian sites (e.g., Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc.).

philip Jul 3rd, 2001 07:31 AM

My wife and I went on a 3 week honeymoon to Asia last year. We had time to hit Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore and Bali. We spent 3 days in Hong Kong, 2 days in Singapore and split the rest of the time between Thailand and Bali. <BR>You might want to contact Cathay Pacific Airlines. They offer an All Asia Pass that allows for travel to Hong Kong and up to three other locations for one price over a 30 day period. As of 2 years ago, when I last priced it, I think the pass was about $1,250 per person. <BR>Good luck.

lynn Jul 3rd, 2001 07:31 AM

Marianne - <BR> <BR>If I were going to plan this for someone I knew, I would recommend southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong, Thailand, and Vietnam. <BR> <BR>4 Nights Hong Kong, China <BR>4 Nights Bangkok, Thailand <BR>4 Nights Chiang Mai, Thailand <BR>3 Nights Ho Chi Min, Vietnam <BR>3 Nights Saigon, Vietnam <BR> <BR>Or switch one of the Vietnam cities for 2-3 Nights in Siem Reap, Cambodia to see Angkor Wat; one of the seven great wonders. <BR> <BR>Skip Singapore! <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR>:-)

skip Jul 3rd, 2001 09:11 AM

Agree with Lynn, SKIP SINGAPORE - cosmopolitan city...opt for Malaysia, borneo, Bali, Thailand, Cambodia, vietnam. <BR> <BR>My husband and I did a package with Toureast (www.toureast.com) in March. We were in Bali for 7 days, singapore 5 days (have relatives there) and 3 day in thailand (not enough time). You will enjoy ASIA...great choice and good luck Marianne. Do bali if you haven't been there yet...GET READY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH IT. <BR> <BR>cheers

Meg Jul 3rd, 2001 09:58 AM

I'd definitely throw in a great island for a few days - either in Indonesia or one of the Thai islands. You'll have a great time!

mari Jul 3rd, 2001 01:14 PM

lucky u, marianne! i second those who suggest giving several places in southeast asia some leisurely time, esp thailand, vietnam and cambodia (angkor wat) since i used to live in the region. but i also love visiting kyoto in the winter. it's cold, but the discovery of small temples and gardens cloaked in snow is magical. wd be great if u cd do snow country first, then emerge in the balmy tropics. have fun!