Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   2012 Cherry Blossom Forecast (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/2012-cherry-blossom-forecast-922361/)

hawaiiantraveler Feb 2nd, 2012 06:00 AM

2012 Cherry Blossom Forecast

Well the 2012 forecast in in and it looks like they are predicting a later than usual blossoming this year. Wait, I read that would be the case somewhere here on Fodors last year so I know that theirs is not the <b> first forecast</b>.......why is the JG site so late..... ;)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2011.html

Aloha!

kuranosuke Feb 2nd, 2012 06:11 AM

ht-san, okini. i hope its earlier than the jg predicts.

i thought they got out of the business of hanami predictions.

Mara Feb 2nd, 2012 07:41 AM

http://sakura.weathermap.jp/
I don't think the jma does sakura forecasting any more.

Yes, ht, I think I know where the first forecast originated.... ;-)

I think I might be a smidge too early but whatever....my dates are set. :)

travel4425 Feb 7th, 2012 04:42 PM

I went to Japan in early/mid April of 2005 and the blooms were right in bloom, quite a beautiful site. I was kind of apprehensive booking a vacation so that the time would coincided with an act of mother nature, however it could not have worked out better.

DonTopaz Feb 8th, 2012 02:44 AM

How do you say "Punxatawny Phil" in Japanese?

travel4425 Feb 8th, 2012 11:08 AM

thats right!!

hawaiiantraveler Feb 8th, 2012 01:17 PM

<i>Puxatawny Firu</i> neh?

travelrob Feb 8th, 2012 01:40 PM

I went in March of 2011,at the time of the Earthquake,and believe it or not there were already cherry blossoms.I didnt see that though in any of the forecasts

Another thing to pick up if one goes at that time of year is the Sakura Frappacino at Starbucks.

But weather wise has to be one of the best time of year to go

travel4425 Feb 9th, 2012 02:46 PM

Tooo bad they didnt have that drink when i was in Japan :(. It looks as though they put real freeze dried CB petals on the top!

hawaiiantraveler Feb 9th, 2012 03:00 PM

I have seen....sakura candy, sakura tea, sakura soda pop, sakura potpourri, sakura ice-cream,sakura mochi and many more things sakura that just don't come to mind this second. It is a great time of year to be there.

Aloha!

eigasuki Feb 11th, 2012 07:06 PM

I bought sakura sugar in Ginza Hands - It's called Arigatou sugar. Can't taste anything other than sugar but it looks pretty sprinkled on things

kuranosuke Mar 9th, 2012 09:41 PM

my ninja network informs me that its still cold in tokyo, so the bloom is still in limbo. i will be there soon, and will be able to provide a live report.

emd3 Mar 10th, 2012 06:23 AM

ninja network, ROFL, can't stop...i see a bunch of little ninjas running around Tokyo w/cell phones, calling Ken

Sakura has a very mild taste. (I almost wonder if it has any taste, or if the Japanese just make up some flavor called sakura and flavor it with something else.) It looks a lot better than it tastes, IMO.

jill777 Mar 31st, 2012 12:13 PM

In Tokyo now with windy rainy weather, mar 31st, one to two trees in the famous gardens in bloom rest have buds looking to bloom very soon, wistful, with so many trees it must look fab. When it fully blooms. Oh well next time, missed it by this much... As maxwel smart used to say

Mara Apr 1st, 2012 02:42 AM

I saw quite a few sakura blooming in Fukuoka two days ago - particularly in Maizuru Park. :)

hawaiiantraveler Apr 1st, 2012 03:25 PM

Thanks Mara, hope you are having a good time!

Would you mind reporting here on the cherry blossoms you see while in Japan this time around so we can all be jealous(also would like an on the ground report of the sakura)?

Aloha!

Mara Apr 3rd, 2012 03:51 AM

I've been in Nara since Sunday afternoon - there is a lot to see here except for sakura which have barely started to open in the places that I've been. Then today there was heavy rain and wind so I don't know how that will affect them.

hawaiiantraveler Apr 3rd, 2012 06:46 AM

Thanks Mara :)

The rain should be over until the 10th where you are. How much longer are you in Japan and where to next?

Aloha!

kuranosuke Apr 4th, 2012 03:20 AM

i left japan on mar 31, barely made it out. the storm was bad, and it caused a four delay in departure to bangkok.

i arrived at my hotel on suk soi11 at 5am, just in time for breakfast.

i went to shinjukugyoen park on mar. 29. a few trees had bloomed so it wasn't a total loss. the next day, i went to ueno park. not much going on. shinjuku was better.

i think the full bloom will occur around apr 5-6.

ht had warned me that blooming would be late this year, but did i listen, noooo. lol. actually, going to tokyo later was not an option, as work commitments could not be altered.

kuranosuke Apr 4th, 2012 03:28 AM

i went to a very nice kaiten sushi restaurant in roppongi hills for dinner. it is called Pintokona kaiten-sushi Roppongi Hills-Metro Hat. i believe they were original tenants of the roppongi hills development.

very nice decor, and excellent sushi. we had two bottles of sake, and 18 plates of sushi, and the tab was just under 8000yen.

my favorite kaiten sushi place, tho, is still maguro bito in asakusa. not as nice or fancy as pintokona, but the sushi is excellent.