Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   2005 Trip to Manila (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/2005-trip-to-manila-473386/)

BillT Sep 10th, 2004 10:07 AM

2005 Trip to Manila

Our next trip is to Manila in late Feb, early March 2005. Will be staying at the Manila Peninsula. Will tour a number of places outside of Manila including Corregidor.
I think experienced Fodorites might want to give this place a try. Yes Bangkok is number one ( I agree picture me waving my hand with the index finger extended chanting were' number one). Angor Wat is great, Chang Mai etc. etc.
After you have been to these places (however many times)- you might find the Phillipines an interesting place to try.
Anyhow- will of course give a full trip report after we go- then you can decide.

Ericka Sep 10th, 2004 03:50 PM

It sounds like you've done a lot of research.

We will be overnighting in Manila on our way to Amanpulo (Cuyo Islands). Do you have any suggestions for us if we have an extra couple of hours? We'd be most interested in scenic areas.

kikahead Sep 11th, 2004 11:24 AM

I couldn't agree more. The Philippines was never on my short list before and it is the most amazing country! Manila is such a fun city for me. We have never stayed at any of the top hotels and can usually be found shopping in the Divisoria or dancing in Malate. I still have not been to Bagio City so that is next on my list.

blues Sep 12th, 2004 02:00 PM

If you love beach, you could also try Pearl Farm in Davao. If you loved Boracay, this place is so great, you'll love it more.

Also, if you like to rejuvenate and relax, you could try San Benito Farm in Batangas. Its a cool idea putting up this place.

You can look up these two places in the net.

BillT Sep 13th, 2004 04:15 AM

Ericka:
If you only have a few hours then I would suggest Intramuros/ Fort Santiago and Rizal Part in the downtown area bordering the bay.

purplefish Sep 13th, 2004 10:21 PM

Boracay is definitely a must is you like an island getaway that has powederlike fine sand, lots of beachfront restaurant and clubs, little hideaway coves. There is also a world class spa called Madala Spa. Try their watsu...massage while in a heated pool...it's excellent.

For more upscale beach resort, Amanpulo in Palawan can't be beat. Service is legendary. And the scuba diving is excellent in this area.

For a more rustic and barefoot luxury resort, check out Isla Naburot in Iloilo which is off Guimaras. No electricity but the place is just beautiful and very private.

If diving is your passion, there is lots of choice places to go. you can drive to Anilao, Batangas...about 2 1/2 hours from Manila. Lots of dive resorts and the diving is great. There is Whale Shark interactions aside from diving in Bohol.

BillT Sep 14th, 2004 04:11 AM

Palawan is in the southern Islands where they have had rebel problems- not sure you want to go there at this time.

purplefish Sep 14th, 2004 06:14 PM

The problem area is in Mindanao which is so much further south. Not Palawan. Palawan is very safe and security is very tight. And the coast guards in that area are very vigilant bec there are key government installations in the vicinity.

BillT Dec 13th, 2004 04:15 AM

Our trip to Manila has now firmed up. We leave on Feb 27th and return on March 11th. We will be staying at the New World in Makati. Will be doing Baguio, Manila and Corregidor.

Razzle_Dazzle Dec 13th, 2004 05:10 AM

That sounds exciting. Philippines is on my list of places to see. Enjoy your trip and we'll be looking forward to your report.

Razzle_Dazzle

banares Dec 13th, 2004 09:33 AM

BillT, were you able to get good fare ? May I asked what and where you got it from ? I'm considering going last 2 weeks in Jan. Thanks.

BillT Dec 14th, 2004 04:44 AM

Banares- I booked with EVA AIR (on their web site)- am flying Houston to LA to Taipei to Manila.
The first segment is on Continental, then on EVA AIR.
Continental is coach but EVA AIR we opted for their Evergreen deluxe class (like business- more legroom, wider seats, better service).
Round trip from Houston is $1050 and we get Continental miles for the entire trip.
We flew EVAAir to Bangkok this year in Evergreen Deluxe and it was great!

JamesA Dec 14th, 2004 10:43 AM

Kikahead: What's the nightlife like in Manila? Do they send you home at 1 a.m? Not into crazy stuff but we are still young at heart and like a nice club/dancing etc

purplefish Dec 14th, 2004 08:09 PM

You can party until its time for breakfast the next day. For the younger crowd, they start to really get going at about 11pm. There are a number of places in the city that are pockets for bars and clubs. Don't limit yourself to establishments within the hotels.

kikahead Dec 21st, 2004 12:34 PM

We usually go to Malate--Ratsky is one of our favorites. Good crowd, strong drinks, and great food. They usually have some great live bands. Malate has so many places to go that we usually just walk around there jumping into places that appeal.

Dress code at the places we went to was ENFORCED. Here in San Francisco a man can usually get away with wearing some types of black sneakers (i.e., Diesel types) but there a friend of ours wasn't allowed in, just FYI.

Aphrodite_Undercover Jan 12th, 2005 08:54 PM

Greetings from Manila everyone! Pleased that people are considering traveling my country. Let me just say, we are a collage of cultures, thereby both confusing and exhilirating, frustrating and fulfilling. The nation speaks better English than nearly all other Asian countries, but is largely unemployed and impoverished. We're Catholic but ludicrously superstitious. Our version of the tuktuk places the passenger carriage on the right side of the driver. The infamous jeepney is on the verge of extinction.

As for Thailand, I take my fedora off to it's tourism board. A great part of is undeniably overrated (I recently revisited), such as the bargain to be had. Manila can offer better in that department. We have a more cosmopolitan dining and entertainment scene. But our fruits don't hold a candle to Thailand's overgrown freaks. I so miss them.

Be with the locals, best thing I can say. And eat streeT, in particular fishballs and barbecue. Yo need not specify the kind of barbecue as it's understood to be pork, though you can also get pig ears, coagulated blood saks, and chicken and pork intestines. The intestines I can fearlessly say are fantastic, especially in chili vinegar. Eat them well done

And to those visiting Amanpulo, I hope you have the time of your lives. My fiance proposed to me there a month and a half ago. Ask the staff at the Beach Club for bread to feed the fishes with. You'll be shrieking like children, while fishes circle around you in shin-deep water.

Cheers to you all!

Martinan Jan 16th, 2005 01:21 PM

with regards to the airport lounges, do you know if it can also be done in US airports?

Martinan Jan 16th, 2005 01:26 PM

Hi BillT! Sorry about that, posted something earlier and it did not register. Anyway, here goes. I'm also travelling to Manila Eva deluxe. I heard that you can use the Eva lounge in Taipei by paying a nominal charge. Do you know if this is true? I'm travelling with my kids ages 4 and 6 and can really use a lounge especially on the way back where lay over is 3 hours. We usually fly NW from JFK but had diffuculty upgrading with 3 passengers. Thanks.

BillT Jan 19th, 2005 04:50 AM

Lets put an end to this right now.
My wife is from a prominent family- the Suguys- in Manila. She attended the finest schools there and has been in the states for the past 25 years. She has been an Executive Secretary for some of San Francisco's leading companies (JP Morgan to name one). Bob meant no disrespect as we are friends but those from Manila could easily misconstrue this comment.
Lets get back to talking about travel and bury this one. I'm 6 weeks away from heading to Manila.

Martinan Jan 19th, 2005 05:38 AM

Hi BillT! I'm glad were back to the discussion. I too am Filipina married to an American. No offense taken on
rhkkmk comment. After reading most of the threads on this forum, it's clear that it was friendly banter between people who knew each other. After all, it's cheaper to hire a tour guide than to marry someone just to see the country. Right? Hahaha! Now do you have an answer for me for the Eva lounge in taipei??? Thanks!I'm leaving next week...