2 weeks in Vietnam - what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going in March for our second trip to Vietnam -- we enjoyed is to much the first time we want to go back but would like some help.

The first trip we spent a few days in Hanoi and Hoi An with a one day trip to Halong Bay. We want to go back to Hanoi and Hoi An but would like recommendations on where else we should visit. We thought we would start in Hanoi and leave out of HCMC but we are looking for suggestions. Maybe just stay in the north or is it possible to see parts of north and south?

We are not trekkers but have heard that a trip north to Sapa is beautiful - will we enjoy it if we are not up to hard core trekking? Should we take the Victoria train up there from Hanoi? Where to stay?

What about Cat Ba? We did Halong Bay in one day and wonder if this would be more of the same. Not that that would be a bad thing because we loved that trip.

Is HCMC worth the time? We have heard mixed reviews on it. Boat trips from there?

What about a few days in Nha Trang or Mui Ne for a day of relaxation before heading back?

Any suggestions would be great. We love the food, people, history.

Thanks,
Butch
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 10:06 PM

nha trang is more than ok, the beach is not the best in the world, but the islands outside is great, so see that.
there are a lots of hotel there so that will not be a problem.do also the mama hanh boat trip. you can also rent a motorbike and drive around outside nha trang, and there you will find a lot of beaches you can have for yourself.
hcmc::::i think that is a must see, the ciyt is absolutly not so sleepy as hanoi, but i think its a great city.
must see in hcmc:
1.former us embassy(you cant get in there)
2.war museum
3.former president palace.
chu-chi tunnels(aqbouth 1/2-1 hr outside hcmc)
4.markeds,markeds,markeds
5.take a cyclo trip, but make the price before you start the trip, and get someone who speaks english, who can tell you about the city.
6.walk the back allys and see how people live.(i have done it many times, and i never had a problem.
7.district 1, is where all the tourist stays, and you have kim, and singh cafe there and you can take a trip with them down to the delta. i did a 3 days trip, and it was worth it.
8. about restaurants, in hcmc there are about 100000 of them.
9.CHEEEEEEEEERS'
10.HAVE A NICE TRIP.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:05 AM

hi..again....if you stay in hcmc for a while, you can also take a trip to phnom-penh in cambodia, the bus leave everyday, its a hard trip, and take some time, but make sure that you have a re-entry visa, so you can get back to vietnam it you are leaving from hcmc.. there are not many atm machines in hcmc, but there is one at the new-world hotel, at the hong-kong bank. if you need more info, let me know, and i will try to help.
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 02:15 AM

Sapa is great.

Could be cool up there in March.

Take the luxury sleeper.stay at the Victoria or the Green Bamboo.

Do short walks into the valley.Admire Fansipan across the valley.

Don't miss the Sunday am market at Bac Ha.

Forget Cat Ba.If you want to go back to Ha Long Bay take the Handspan overnight trip.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:36 AM

We are presently several photo album of Vietnam highlight or tourist attractions on www.geographic-expeditions.com If you are interested pay a visit.Much more photo albums are being added in the next few weeks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:38 AM

We are presently posting several photo albums about Vietnam. If you are interested please visit www.geographic-expeditions.com