Reload this Page >

2 week stay in Thailand / Siem Reap in late October

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
My husband and I are considering two weeks in Bangkok - Siem Reap- and maybe a beach in the last weeks of October. We have never traveled in Asia before, and are concerned about heat and jet lag.
1. Do you have suggestions about how to divide up our days among the three destinations?

2. We are hoping to spend about $100- $150 USD/ night for accommodations. Clean and well located are our first priority in hotels. I am interested in museums/ temples and my husband would like nice pools and beach. We were considering Royal Orchid Sheraton or Chatrium Hotel Riverside in Bangkok, perhaps Le Meridien Angkor, not sure about which beach. The JW Marriott in Phuket looks pretty.

3. Do you recommend flying or ground transportation between the three?

I'd love your feedback, Fodorites! Thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM

With just two weeks, for sure fly between destinations. Do know that October is rainy... weather-wise you'd be better off in November. You should be able to get nice hotels for that price.

Figure 4 nights (three full days) for Angkor) and I'd say at least 5 nights for Bangkok. That would leave you with 4 or 5 nights for a beach location.

If you can, you might want to go to the beach first and rest up after your flight and get adjusted to the time change, then to Angkor and last, Bangkok.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

I think you are right about flying, Kathie. How about hotel recommendions? And is there a beach which you especially likes?
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 02:22 AM

The Royal Orchid Sheraton is a much better option in Bangkok. Good location, good food.

As for Siam Reap, most people I know prefer the Sofitel just a bit more than the Meridien there. But this is not first hand information, so take it with a pinch of salt.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:28 AM

look nat the jw marriott in khao lak, one hour north of the phuket airport...le meridien in same place also...both beach and pools..

hyatt in hua hin is a fav too...pools and beach..

oct., not the best month!!

either riverside hotel is good, as is the anantara..

look at air asia for cheap flts, but baggage limit is low..
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM

Air Asia doesn't fly to Siem Reap, only Bangkok Air. You may be able to take advantage of the Discovery Pass, as you can fly three or more legs on Bangkok AIr.