Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > 2 nights in Bangkok/3 nights in Phuket or the other way around?

2 nights in Bangkok/3 nights in Phuket or the other way around?

Jan 1st, 2019, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

2 nights in Bangkok/3 nights in Phuket or the other way around?

We are planning on spending 1 night in Dubai on our way to Thailand. We have 5 nights to spend in Thailand, arriving on a Monday and departing on a Saturday. Should we spend 3 nights in Bangkok (Monday to Thursday) and 2 nights in Phuket (Thursday to Saturday) or 3 nights in Bangkok and 2 nights in Phuket?
We will be vacationing as a family with a young boy, and not interested in the nightlife but instead into cultural enriching activities and relaxing.
Thanks in advance!
Jan 1st, 2019, 06:21 PM

In your position, and given your desire for cultural enrichment, I would not split my time but spend it all in Bangkok. There is more than enough to keep you all interested for the whole five days and you would not be wasting virtually a whole day of those five, transferring from Bangkok to Phuket or vv.

Yes you would miss out on the beach but to compensate for that you could stay somewhere like the Anatara Riverside which is a nice resort type hotel with pools etc. Right in the city and, in urprisingly, given its name, it is right on the Chaya Praya River which provides easy access by boat to many of the major sights. The river boats themselves are a fun way to get around which I am sure any young boy would love.
Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:45 AM

If I were you, I'd spend them all in Bangkok. I'm in Bangkok now on my 20th-year-trip of coming here and I always find something to do and I stay for 3 weeks. You mentioned about relaxing and relaxing, in my book, would not include spending a short 2 nights in Bangkok and then having to up and transfer to another place for only 3 nights. There are plenty of both great hotels and serviced apartment buildings that are relaxing and have great pools, spas, and food.

Happy Travels!
Jan 2nd, 2019, 07:14 AM

Have a look at a side-trip from Bangkok by train to either Kanchanaburi...

https://www.seat61.com/Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

Kanchanburi deserves an overnight stop if you intend taking in Hellfire Pass [which you should].

Or Ayutthaya, the Ancient Capital of Siam.
Jan 6th, 2019, 08:24 PM

I don't mind changing destinations but your plan would be no fun. It could work if there was 2-hour train between city centers, but there isn't. You are going to have to fly. I urge you to spend all of the time in one location andd it should be Bangkok.
Jan 7th, 2019, 03:28 PM

Ditto, I would recommend the same as everyone else suggesting the whole time in Bangkok. With such a short time (5 nights is just 4 full days), I wouldn't want to waste it travelling, and certainly not just to sit on a pretty beach (though I confess, that's because I'm not a beach person).

Bangkok has so much to see and do, especially if your family are interested in food, as well as culture. You can do a public or private boat ride on the Chao Phraya River and along some of the klongs (canals) of Thonburi, There are several famous temples, palace etc. China Town is extensive and worth a guided tour if you can find a good guide. Or there are tuk tuk or walking street food tours. There are many shopping options from malls to markets.

There are so many possible day trips too, such as visiting some of the nearby floating markets or a tour to Ayutthaya, which is not that far and just beautiful to see.

Search this Thread