Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   2 Extra Nights in Malaysia, what to do? (Near Kuala Lumpur) Taman Negara maybe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/2-extra-nights-in-malaysia-what-to-do-near-kuala-lumpur-taman-negara-maybe-758556/)

TylerTraveler Dec 29th, 2008 01:55 AM

2 Extra Nights in Malaysia, what to do? (Near Kuala Lumpur) Taman Negara maybe?

6 of us, aged in the mid-20's, will have 5 nights to spend in Kuala Lumpur. I had planned on taking a couple of those nights to sneak out to Taman Negara and spend a couple nights there, enjoying the canopy walk and a little bit of jungle time.

But now I'm hearing reports that that might be a Malaria zone? Can anyone confirm or deny that rumor? I'm kind of in charge of these other 5 people and a couple of them only bought enough Malorone to get us through the earlier parts of the trip and I don't want to take any unnecessary risks with them.

Also it sounds like you spend most of your time with leeches and fist sized spiders crawling all over you... and the thought of 3 angry young ladies giving me the cold shoulder for the rest of the month isn't very appealing.

If you were me would you risk the trek to Taman Negara? Or would you take those two nights and take another little side trip near Kuala Lumpur? I just don't know Malaysia that well so I would love to hear from people who know a bit more than I do =)

Thanks! =)

Kathie Dec 29th, 2008 06:41 AM

Yup, it's considered a malarial risk zone.

A couple of options to consider: an overnight trip to either Meleka or to Georgetown (Penang) to visit an interesting historic port town... charming areas, great cheap food. You can take a luxury bus to either.

TravelTwiddle Dec 29th, 2008 08:43 PM

"leeches and fist sized spiders crawling" .. LOL, your imagination is more fertile than the soil on the forest floor.

I assure you thousands of tourists visit Taman Negara every year and it is anything but off-the-beaten path. I have written a fair bit about Taman Negara here, http://outskirtoutreach.org/taman-ne...-tour-kl-boat/. This will give you a good idea on what to expect and cost estimates. Also, if you like to watch a video of mid-20s people go jungle trekking, click YouTube on homepage http://outskirtoutreach.org/. It'd save you all the guesswork. The video was shot in the non-touristy jungles around my hometown Ipoh.

The rain forest is not for everyone though. Some find it too messy for a holiday. Leeches are creepy to some people. As you did not mention dates, you should be more concerned of whether your travels coincide with the east coast monsoon when Taman Negara will be too wet to give you a nice holiday.

If the ladies decide to skip the jungle, yes, Penang and Malacca can easily eat up a few days with their striking collection of historical sites and array of good eats. Here's a good site to read up http://www.penang-traveltips.com/exp...eorge-town.htm. It takes 4 hrs to Penang and 3hrs to Malacca by bus from KL.

TylerTraveler Dec 31st, 2008 12:34 AM

Thanks so much, both of you! I really appreciate it =)

Yea I'm kind of afraid that I'm just being overly cautious like people always are before they go on trips. I'm just having a hard time convincing everyone to head there, and it didn't help that the cdc website lists Taman Negara as a Malaria zone (with our limited number of pills).

I'll definitely be looking into Meleka or Penang. And I'm definitely open to other ideas as well.

We are also going in Mid March if that helps =)

StanKase Dec 31st, 2008 04:57 AM

Some of the best snorkeling we have done around the world is a 45 minute flight from the CITY AIRPORT (NOT international)in the Redang Islands. While you do not have a lot of time you can get in 2-3 snorkel trips of 2-3 hrs. each. The air was about $140 USD RT and the better hotels with A/C were $125-$175/room for 2 with meals. But you can get places with A/C that are fine for $75USD. It is almost as good as the snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. Just a different idea. On your return a taxi from the city airport to the international airport was $20 in 2006 and the convrtsion is about the same these days maybe 10% less at best.

rhkkmk Dec 31st, 2008 06:28 AM

stan, where have you been??

TylerTraveler Jan 9th, 2009 05:14 PM

Thanks for all your help! I just booked rooms for a couple nights in Penang after reading reviews on the city. It looks like we got a great cheap place to stay as well.

We are well into our 3 month long trip already and you can check out my blog if you want to have a look at our time helping our at an orphanage here in Phnom Penh:

www.tylernofziger.com/messageboard

lincasanova Jan 9th, 2009 09:00 PM

what a moving blog. enjoy yourselves in penang.

go to FRIM outside KL to get your canopy walk and hiking in.

TylerTraveler Jan 9th, 2009 11:35 PM

Thanks for the tip about the FRIM! I had no idea that that was there. Do you think that could be done in a half day trip out of KL?

Thanks so much! =)

lincasanova Jan 10th, 2009 12:43 AM

we did FRIM and Batu caves same half day with driver. they are both very close to KL. A good combination, too. Our driver charged us about 70MYR and we had him for about 5 hours or so. there were three of us so it seemed a waste of time to do public transportation.

he waited for us at FRIM picnic parking lot to get us after we did the canopy walk and hiked down the less travelled trail, which was a lot of fun. we got maps at the admission center and marked for him where to meet us.

no leeches.
no fist sized spiders.

this is a very civilized jungle trek, and we had a lot of fun.

the Batu caves are 272 steps up to top, then more stairs inside. monkeys running around. it takes about 30-45 minutes.we didn't pay to go into the other sections at street level.. just went up to the top and inside caves there.

i have started a trip report which you can find clicking on my name. I am getting ready to finish it with our Penang info, but kathie and others have the best reports with detailed food stall locations you should take note of.

we loved KL. our cabbie pointe dout some new hotel chain that is super cheap and people seem to go for it

www.tunehotels.com
the location of one in KL was very near the Sheraton Imperial.. so it was not in a ghetto.

check it out. probably like an easyjet place.. but looked pretty good on internet. might look into this myself someday!

TylerTraveler Jan 11th, 2009 04:48 AM

lincasanova, you have made my evening =)

That sounds great and I'll probably try and do exactly what you did...

Thank you so much for your help! =) I'm looking foward to Malaysia!

lincasanova Jan 11th, 2009 10:08 AM

glad to have amde your evening! have a great trip!

someone here suggested a great food court inside a mall in KL. the food court was called "FEAST", but we didn't have time to go there. sounded good, though. if you click on my name and see my request posts about restaurants you can get alot of good ideas.

it's all about food in the end, isn't it?!

taxis in KL are about 20-30 MYR an hour. maybe we had our fellow less time.. i am not sure. but it was very reasonable when you consider three people were carted around. the more hours you give him the more he is willing to negotiate.

an evening at luna bar or trader's hotel top floor bars cannot be missed for the stunning views. live it up. have your driver include taking you there and getting you two hours later, too.

StanKase Jan 11th, 2009 03:17 PM

I was asked where we have been. In the past 6 years we have been to Thailand (BK,CM,Puchet) and Koh Samui, Krabi, Koh Tao, Phi Phi Don, Samillian Islands. In Indonesia to Bali, Java, Lombok, and Gille Islands. In Malsaysia the Redang and Prehentan Islands and Penang. In the Pacific to Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Tahiti and the other Society Islands. In the Americas probably 12-13 Caribbeean and Bahamian Islands, Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica and Panama. The above relate to snorkeling and some diving only not sightseeing in Europe and elsewhere. But bear in mind we have been married 41 years and travel 2-3 times a year.

lincasanova Jan 12th, 2009 12:45 AM

I just remembered there is a dress code at most upscale places in malaysia..
no flip flops. no shorts. no t-shirts.

no need to get too dressy but beach/hiking garb not welcome.

i'd hate for you to get all the way thre and find out your comfy sandles were not welcome!

TylerTraveler Jan 16th, 2009 05:20 AM

Wow, I'd love to see half of the amazing and warm places you've seen. Most of my travels have been in Europe.

Thanks for the warning about how to dress in Malaysia! I hadn't thought about that yet. =)

lincasanova Jan 16th, 2009 09:37 AM

we only encontered the dress code at those intersting upscale bars that are really worth the visit for the photos and ambience.

another posh restaurant had the same code.. but not your normal places, food courts, malls or mid-range restaurants.