2 DAYS in BKK, 2 DAYS in Chaing Mai

Jan 30th, 2005, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

2 DAYS in BKK, 2 DAYS in Chaing Mai

I know it sounds crazy, but my daughter is living in (and has fallen in love with) rural CHaing Mai and wants to spend as little time as possible in BKK (big, noisy city) and take me to where she was living. She will have explored some of both cities (altho they went trekking among the hill tribes). WHAT OUGHT WE TO DO/SEE for two days in BKK and TWO in CHaing Mai? Suggestions for lodging that have recently been experienced (Dec/Jan) in CHaing Mai? thank you. (We're not zealous shoppers. I'd rather buy from the night markets, co-ops, etc and prefer art to jewelry or clothes.) thank you
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:50 AM

How very sensible of your daughter!

You shouldn't have a problem filling up two days in either place. As for lodgings, it depends on your budget.
Jan 30th, 2005, 07:09 AM
jat

I recently stayed in the Sheraton in CM and it was OK but definitely nothing special. We only had 2 days in CM as well, so I arranged a guide and driver to make efficient use of our time. We spent one day going to the Mae Sa valley, where we enjoyed seeing a Hmong hilltribe village, elephant camp, and orchid farm. Then we went to Wat Doi Suthep in the afternoon, which is definitely worth seeing. The other day we drove out to Lampang and Lamphun. Our guide was through Sergeant Kai (Chiang Mai in Action), and I would recommend them. For BKK, I would recommend the major wats, and taking a riverboat tour (which you can combine with seeing wats). Also enjoyed taking day trip to Ayutthaya.
Jan 31st, 2005, 06:32 AM

Can't give a recommendation on actual experience(yet), but we are booked for later this year at the Ibrik in Bangkok (a new small but stylish 3 room hotel on the river but on the West side, across from the grand palace, www.ibrikresort.com, I believe one of the three rooms is a twin) and Tamarind Village in Chiang Mai (a modest size, more authentic Thai style hotel, booked through www.asia-hotels.com). Both came highly recommended by other Fodor posters. Enjoy planning your trip!
Jan 31st, 2005, 02:42 PM

Just returned - Chiang Mai was our favorite city in Thailand - stayed at Chiang Mai Plaza hotel and can recommend it - to do's: elephant camp - Wat Doi Suthep - be sure to get massages with your daughter - my daughter and I fit one in every day - forget the hotels and hit the one's nearby much cheaper - the one directly accross from the Plaza was great - if you want to treat your daughter to an elegant night out for diner highly recommend Le Coq D'Or - expensive for Thailand but we found out that you can bring your own wine even in high end restaurants - their corkage fee was around 10.50 - your picked up by a limo and the food and service ranks up there with our 4star restaurants in the states
Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

In BKK have a drink or dinner at Vertigo it is the tallest open roof top restaurant I have ever experienced. We could never have anything like it in the states because of codes. But we sat on this roof with a gorgeous view and they had an amazing jazz singer it was a magical night for our last night in BKK. For you daughter she can see the elegant side of BKK.
We also took the tour of the historic ruins and returned by boat, my favorite spot was the summer palace.

Karen
Feb 2nd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for these recommendations.all ones I had nt found here earlier. think we'll try them all esp. dinner in CM and rof top bar in BKK.