Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   1st trip to Thailand Itinerary..... (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/1st-trip-to-thailand-itinerary-741169/)

Penelopestar Oct 6th, 2007 12:55 PM

1st trip to Thailand Itinerary.....

Dec 23, 2007 -Jan 3, 2008

Thank you to everyone's awesome advice on this site!!!! This is what we have planned so far, just need some help in the middle/end......restaurants etc........

A little about us, First time in Thailand,(2) early 30 something females. Not interested in diving, or too many museums, just want to see the sights, eat great food, go on adventures you wouldn't do in California (elephant riding, tiger petting, temples, amazing beaches) and get a taste of life in Asia.....I'm sure this will not be our last trip....So, here goes......

Day One - Arrive in BKK 6:30a.m.

Staying @ Majestic Grande

Grand Palace
Weekend Market
Emerald Buddha
Wat Po
Massage/spa @ night

Day Two

6:30 a.m. Meet one of Tong's tourguides

Floating Market
Kanchanburi Elephant Camp
Tiger Temple

Day 3

Flight to Phuket @ 8a.m.
1 p.m. Ferry to Phi Phi
Check-in @ PP Casita

Days 3-7

On Phi Phi
Maya Bay

Any other suggestions for day excursions???

Day 7-10

1pm Ferry to Phuket
check in @ Safari hotel
Phuket for a few days
Railey Beach-day trip

Any other suggestions while in Phuket?

Day 10

Fly from Phuket to BKK in a.m.

Wander around BKK,
Nice dinner, maybe last massage

Day 11

Wander some more around BKK

Airport @ 5:30 pm and back to LAX

Please put your 2 cents in wherever you think fit! If you think I packed in too much in a day, or not enough, where to eat. We're more budget travelers, $100/day...

simpsonc510 Oct 6th, 2007 01:23 PM

Penelope

I'm trying to picture your schedule... do you arrive on the 23rd or fly from LAX on that day. The 23rd is a Sunday. Is that "Day 1"...?

You mention the weekend market for day #1. I, personally, could not imagine heading to the market after just getting off a long flight. It is hot, crowded, and very large! Keep in mind, the weekend market is open on WEEKENDS. It looks like you might be arriving on a Monday or Tuesday if you leave LAX on the 23rd ???

Speaking of just getting off a long flight, unless you can get a good sleep enroute, I think you will be pretty tired to try to plan very much the first day or two. Just my opinion.

I think you will like the Majestic Grande in Bangkok. I stayed there in February of this year for a few nights. I had a very basic room, but it was very satisfactory, although a little dark. The breakfast was nice.

I moved into the Bangkok Holiday Inn (Ploenchit) for the remainder of my 9-day stay and was VERY happy there. The room was bigger, lighter, and a bit handier to shopping on Sukhumvit, and the skytrain is right outside the door.

I know that you will get comments from some posters here about spending too much time on Phi Phi and Phuket. I'm not a swimmer, but I do enjoy my time in the islands!! I just usually go for about 3-4 days at a time. Bangkok has soooooo much to offer, it is worthy of more time, IMO.

I know you will have a great time! The people are so nice and helpful, most of the time. Just beware the taxi and tuk tuk drivers... some want to take you to their jeweler or tailor...

Plan to go to the top of State Tower to Sky Bar (appropriate dress required) for the view and an expensive night cap. It's one of the most beautiful bars in the world!!

Carol

smartcookie Oct 6th, 2007 01:27 PM

On Phi Phi, you can take tours of the islands there. It's actually a combination of several islands, most of which are only accessible during the day via boats.

I would go to Krabi's Railay beach from Phi Phi. I would stay in Phuket first when you arrive, then take a boat to Phi Phi and then take a boat to Krabi from there, and then fly back to Bangkok from Krabi. Not sure if it's feasible to go to Railay as a day trip. I might be wrong, but I believe it involve a boat and a cab ride each way.

JamesA Oct 6th, 2007 01:57 PM

Getting a room at the Safari Hotel over NY you were lucky !! Savoey Seaffod is right there at Safari, go across from where Soi Bangla starts and you will find plenty of restaurants, fast food etc.
Walk to the top of Soi Bangla and turn left along rat-U-Thit (2nd Road ) and on the left after a couple of minutes the open air restaurants, try the 'Red Boat' about2/3 the way along, good seafood and Thai food, cheap, ( though you will see tourists with burgers and fries probably too!)
Opposite that are street market stalls in from of Paradise area, lots of cheap stuff.
Turning right at top of Soi Bangla the new Jungceylon Mall.
It is right near to Soi Bangla which is the center for nightlife, bars, clubs etc etc, very busy part of Patong, restaurants, shops and bars a few steps away, that area will be packed over NY.
Its a short walk down to the beach and that area will be very busy.

What flight do you have booked from Phuket to BKK, that's the 2nd I guess.

If yuo are arriving Phuket day 7 and leaving morning day 10 then you only have days 8&9, you really need to just beach those days unless you really want to do any tours, otherwise you will be well tired out.

If you want to go to Railay then do it from Phi Phi.

JamesA Oct 6th, 2007 02:01 PM

You will probably have a 'compulsory' NY Eve dinner at Safari, most of that range do, they are often in the $75-100 per person range for that level hotel.

Kathie Oct 6th, 2007 02:12 PM

I'm with Carol. Don't try the weekend market on day 1. Indeed, I expect you may feel somewhat challanged by Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha/Wat Po on your first day. You want to get there as early as possible, GP/EB opens at 8:30. Nonetheless, given how little time you have in Bangkok, it's worth it to see these "must-see" sights.

Another must-see in Bangkok is the Jim Thompson House. It's easy to do on your own. They provide tour guides there.

Gpanda Oct 6th, 2007 02:31 PM

I would skip the day trip to railey's beach. Lots of driving for another beach. It's nice, but not unique.

I would reduce the Day one activity. Either the market or the GP and Wat Pho, but not both. If you skip the GP on day one, have Tong's guide take you on a day sightseeing in BKK instead of the day trip outside BKK.

Penelopestar Oct 6th, 2007 11:53 PM

Thanks to all the "regulars" on here....I take in all your advice!

Simsonc510, I leave the 21st, so we arrivie in BKK early the 23rd, and plan on sleeping (with help) most of th way there to power out the first day, and crash early that night....

Smartcookie, a friend of mine really recommended Railey beach at some point, I may just wait and figure that out when I get there.....

JamesA, thanks for all the insight! I'm printing this out and bringing it with me:)

Kathie & Gpanda, I'll take your advice and skip the market, but do the Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, and Wat Po, and then crash early that night!

But, Gpanda, I'm so excited about going to the Tiger Temple and Elephant camp that I think I will enjoy leaving BKK for the day:) I've seen everyone else's pic's and it looks amazing! I'm intrigued by big animals....(I love horses too)....

Thank you everyone!!! There is no doubt in my mind that this will be an amazing experience, and come January, I will report my trip as well, as I love reading all everyone else's adventures!

Gpanda Oct 7th, 2007 03:22 AM

If you're taken with the Tiger Temple, by all means go. I was only suggesting skipping it if you were not seeing the GP on the first day.