Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   1st trip to Far East (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/1st-trip-to-far-east-191572/)

Evelyn Sep 25th, 2001 03:38 PM

1st trip to Far East

My husband and I rae going to Beijing, Shanghai,Singapore,Hong Kong,and Bangkok, <BR>with Pacific Delights for 3 weeks. We are going to see the highlights of these cities <BR>and we are going to have a few days on our own. We would appreciate it if we could get some advice on what we must see and wher we should eatabout 27 breakfasts, lunches,and dinners on our own.Where to shop for clothes.jewelry and gifts. <BR>We are stayig at the following hotels <BR>Beijing... The Palace Hotel <BR>Shanghai... Westin Tai Ping Yang Shanghai <BR>Singapore...Oriental Hotel <BR>Hong Kong...Sheraton Hotel & Towers <BR>Bangkok...Peninsula Hotel <BR>We are celebrating our 50th and we are leaving Oct.3rd.Thank you for your suggestions.

charlie Sep 25th, 2001 08:56 PM

pls send me a email to my hotmail adress. <BR> <BR>I will give you a tip for HK as you wished. <BR> <BR>This post is too find to recheck former posting since it was uploaded too many postings. <BR>

Kathie Sep 26th, 2001 02:37 PM

I'd like to be helpful, but you've asked such a big question! I'm very familiar with Singapore and Bangkok, so I'll try to address those. <BR> <BR>Singapore: If your tours don't already cover these places, I'd recommend: the Asian Civilization Museum, the Orchid Garden located in the Botanical Gardens, the Empress Museum. While you are at the Botanical gardens, you can have a very special and romantic lunch at Les Ami au Jardin. It's expensive, but well worth it. Another special lunch at the Compass Rose atop the Westin Stamford - a view of all of Singapore plus Maylasia and Indonesia, with an unforgettable seafood buffet. Try to have a meal at one of the Raffles restuarants as well. A place to buy Chinese antiques in Singapore is The Chinese Heritgae #02-55 Lucky Plaza, 804 Orchard Road. Lovely things, friendly owners, the owners sent me a card after the Sept. 11 terrorist attack conveying their sympathies. The shops at Dempsy Road are another place to look for antiques and carpets. <BR> <BR>Bangkok: I expect your tours will include the following temples, but if not, go see them: The Emerald Buddha (at the Grand Palace), The Golden Buddha, the Reclining Buddha. Also, take a day trip to Atthuthya (I've spelled it wrong), at least one way via boat. I always buy jewelry in Bangkok at SJ International, 126/1 Sawankhalok Road, Dusit, Bangkok, phone 2432446 or 2432447 for pick up at your hotel (all reputable jewelers offer this service. Many lovely crafts and antiques (and some fakes) are available at River City Shopping Center. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time!

john g Sep 26th, 2001 09:29 PM

Evelyn, if you are going on a tour I don't understand why breakfasts aren't included. Also, all these hotels would offer their guests complimentary breakfasts anyway. Most tours also offer many lunches and dinners. I would also think any tour would have an itinerary that covers most of the major sites of these places. For places on your own I would suggest a good travel book(s)like Fodor's Beijing or Bangkok. They have great listings for shops, restaurants, and sites. I have stayed at the Peninsula in HK, but not in Bangkok. But, Im pretty sure all of your hotels are 5-star. Im sure that Pacific Delights will take very good care of you.

Luda Sep 27th, 2001 10:04 AM

You should buy some silk in Bangkok (if you have any use for it!) as the prices and choice are amazing- Jim Thompson's house is really interesting to look round and they do good food, there's also a shop connected selling silk and silk products. That said, you can probably buy silk cheaper - I went to T.Shinawatra (not sure of the address but it should be easy to find out) which was fantastic.

Luda Sep 27th, 2001 10:07 AM

P.S <BR>Shinawatra is on Sukhumvit 23