Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   19 days in Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/19-days-in-asia-950042/)

maxonte Sep 11th, 2012 12:50 AM

19 days in Asia

My girlfriend and I are taking a trip to Asia in November - December. We will be there for 19 nights. We want to visit the places but also to relax, while getting a small taste of different asian cultures. We will fly in Bangkok and out from Kuala Lumpur.

Here is the plan so far.

Bangkok - 5 nights
Siem Riep - 4 nights
Kuala Lumpur - 3 nights
Bali - 7 nights

I would appreciate any advice regarding the itinerary as we would like to keep a good balance on the time spent in these places... Thank you!

Kathie Sep 11th, 2012 05:38 AM

I think you've done a good job here in terms of balance.

Are you aware you will be in Bali during rainy season? I've often been in Bali during rainy season and It didn't detract from my enjoyment. The rains tend to be short but intense. You will need to decide if you want to stay in one place in Bali for your week, or if you want to choose two place, one a beach spot, the other inland near Ubud. One piece of advice about Bali - Do not stay in Nusa Dua. It is a tourist enclave that will give you no sense of Bali, and it's a distance from places you'll want to visit there.

maxonte Sep 11th, 2012 09:11 AM

do you think we should skip Bali because of the rainy season? We would like to spend some time on the beach too and I hope the weather will be ok...

we will spend 3-4 days in Ubud or near and another 3-4 on a beach... do you have a recommendation for a beach spot?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kathie Sep 11th, 2012 10:12 AM

No, I don't think you should skip Bali beacuse of rainy season. Like I said, I've been to that area a number of times at that time of the yaer. Some people feel like their vacation is ruined if it rains one afternoon, others are capable of finding plenty to do during the time the downpour occurs. It just depends on how you feel about rain. (I'm from Seattle, so I wouldn't let rain stop me from doing whatever I wanted.

I like Sanur for a beach area in Bali. It's a small town, so there are shops and places to eat you can walk to

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2012 01:16 PM

go to bali for sure, just be prepared for rain alternatives..

you have a good plan..

look at alam shanti near ubud... gangga or yammuna rooms are the best..

i like sanur for the beach, but many like seminyak

StanKase Sep 11th, 2012 01:31 PM

I must be frank 3 days in KL may be 1 too many. We found unless you go to the Cameron Highlands and your going at the wrong time because of rain you can see all the highlights in 1-2 days maximum. Might you conside Angor Wat for 3 days by dropping 1 day in KL, 1 in Bali and 1 in Siem Reap.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2012 02:10 PM

Stan, they are already going to Angkor (Siem Reap), spending 4 nights, which is just perfect. Personally, I'm not fond of KL and 2 days would be enough for me. But whatever you do don't add another destination. It will detract from the whole trip.

rhkkmk Sep 11th, 2012 02:19 PM

i agree 2 days max in K/L.. make sure to visit petronas towers--go before 9 AM

StanKase Sep 11th, 2012 05:35 PM

Kathie; I read it too fast. You are correct get to the Tower early. Even 8 AM-8:15 might be better so you are in the first 25-50 people. I would not waste my time going to the Genting Highlands. Going to 1-2 of the high-end malls is an experience if you are not from a city of a million plus or more. The shopping , not nescessarily buying is an experience because the prices are not that inexpensive. Take a taxi for 2 hour around the major monuments. Use your guide book in advance to select the ones you think you think you would be interested in and then confirm them with the hotel conceirge. Ask them the rate by the hour you should pay a taxi and then negotiate a rate no more than 80-90% of that rate.The Batu caves are for "some people. Your Fodor's guide book gives a good description of what it is and is not. Be careful because the walk up to cave can be slippery.

marmot Sep 11th, 2012 05:59 PM

Rain in Bali November/December is variable. You may get all sun or 50/50 sun/rain. I like Seminyak beach -- long bigsurf beach, lots of places to eat, shop, spas, clubs within walking distance or a short cab ride.

There are many, many choices of places to stay both in Ubud and in the beach areas. What is your budget?

maxonte Sep 12th, 2012 01:45 AM

We definitely don"t want to add any other destination to aour schedule.

In Bangkok we want to enjoy the city and also to take a couple of side-trips to Ayutthaya and to The Ancient City (Muang Boran).
In Siem Riep we would just focus on the Angkor Wat.
In Bali, we don"t know yet what we want to do except that we would like to split our time between visiting the island and laying on the beach.

The reason for us to consider spending 3 nights in KL was the idea of a day trip to Melaka as I read some good things about that place.

Do you think it worth spending a day in Melaka or I should just reduce the stay in KL to 2 nights and add one more night to Bangkok or Bali?

Thanks again for you comments and advises.

Kathie Sep 12th, 2012 05:39 AM

Skip the Ancient city. Since you are going to Angkor, decide whether you also want the side trip to Ayutthaya, as the ruins at Ayutthaya, as lovely as they are, pale in comparison to Angkor. You will find plenty in the city of Bangkok to keep you busy for 5 days.

Melaka is interesting. You could opt for any of those, and there are arguments to be made for each. None of them would be the "weong" answer.

rhkkmk Sep 12th, 2012 06:15 AM

we spent a couple of days in meleka.. it was ok, but nothing special... i would rather spend those days in penang... and 2 full days in K/l is plenty

StanKase Sep 12th, 2012 09:56 AM

Never went to Melaka so cannot comment but nor have I hear a lot of great things about it.

Elainee Sep 12th, 2012 03:34 PM

Even tho Ankor is larger and more varied, Ayutthaya is special. I thought it was worth the day trip especially as we stopped at a lovely Buddah temple. I think we took a bus there and a boat back. Very nice day.

Elainee Sep 12th, 2012 03:46 PM

Checked my notes..we stopped at the Queen's palace then went to A then took boat back with very nice lunch. It was from Oriental Hotel. I think there is another company which does the same trip as well.

maxonte Sep 14th, 2012 06:28 AM

We decided to make only one change to the original plan (to spend an additional day in Bali rather than KL, where we will stay only 2 nights)...
Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!

StanKase Sep 14th, 2012 06:34 AM

Didf you consider reducing a day from KL. Angor Wat,Bali and take a 1 hour+ flight to Central Java and observe the magnificant Boboburur 8th Century Temple as well as Prambanan-19th C and observe small villages workinbg with 1920 inplements making flour out of a type of palm tree, tofu for hotels in a modst facinating way, visit a Sultans Palace. and go up to Mt. Merapi a still someone active volcano. You can go all this in 2 full 10 hour fays-3 nights with a guide we used twice in Java. He can also get you a discount at the Phoenix orr Hyatt hotel lower than Agoga.com. He really is special. If interested contact him quickly because he is fairly busy. You want him not one of his staff. [email protected] You will find the culture change most interesting.

Kathie Sep 14th, 2012 06:45 AM

I think your decision to add a day to Bali is a good one. As much as I love central Java and am headed back there in November, I think Stan's idea of adding a destination is not a good one. You want enough time in each location to savor it a bit.

Have a wonderful trip!

dgunbug Sep 29th, 2012 10:31 AM

On our trip to Thailand/Cambodia, we also did a day trip to ayuthia and we really enjoyed it. IMO spending time there was well worth it even with seeing the amazing ruins if Angkor wat.