Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > 12 days Thailand itinerary late November/early December

12 days Thailand itinerary late November/early December

Sep 7th, 2018, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

12 days Thailand itinerary late November/early December

Hello everyone!
My husband and I (in our late 20s) are planning our trip to Thailand from november 28th to december 11th.
We did some research and this is what we came with so far :

29/11 : arrive early morning to Bangkok, spend the day there
30/12 : spend the day in Bangkok and take the night train to Chiang Mai
1/12 : Arrive to Chiang Mai
1/12 to 4/12 : Spend 3 full days to do some sightseeing, ziplining (I read that the gibbon flight is the best) and a visit to an elephant sanctuary
4/12 : fly from Chiang Mai to Krabi and head towards Koh Lanta
4/12 to 9/12 : spend 4 full days in Koh Lanta with day trips to the surrounding islands with some activities like snorkeling, diving (also some climing and hiking if possible)
9/12 : fly back to Bangkok
10/12 : do some shopping in Bangkok
11/12 : fly back home

Therefore, please find my questions below :
1 - what do you think of the plan, is it good, a little rushed? knowing that we dont mind a little rush if we could really see it all but moslty to the maximum of outdoors activities and adventures.
2 - what do you thing of the night train to Chiang Mai and where can I book my tickets online in advance?
3 - how can I get from Krabi airport to Koh Lanta? should I book in advance?
4 - is staying in Koh Lanta as a base in Krabi and doing daytrips is a good idea? and which days trips are really a must-do? should I book them in advance or just do it there?

Thanks a million in advance.
Sep 7th, 2018, 07:42 AM

1. It is a bit rushed but entirely possible and only you know your own travel style, so if you are happy then that is all that matters. I would however plan in detail exactly what you want to do and when so as not to waste any time. Subject to flight times etc. I would consider trying to condense your Bangkok time into one visit, either at the beginning or end. Also, if getting the train, stay near Khao San RD which is convenient for the station and most of the main sights.- the Chao Praha River, Chinatown, the Grand Palace, Wat Po etc.

2. The night train is fine, just buy your food from the guards on board, it is terrible! Either go to the restaurant car or buy from the vendors before boarding.

For current guidance on where to book see https://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm I would probably recommend second class sleeper over first class.

3. Seat 61 above may have some suggestions. I doubt there is any need to book though. Some hotels may provide transport.

4. Koh Lanta is an island so probably not the best for day trips unless by boat. Krabi is clearly the place for climbing butbKL does have some decent dive sites but choose your dive shop carefully. Safety and equipment standards can be variable. Any hiking is probably better around chian Mai.

With three days in Chiang Mai, I probably would not bother with a trip to an elephant sanctuary. There is a lot to see and do in and around the city.
Sep 7th, 2018, 08:00 AM

It's a little rushed, but very do-able. Consider flying from Bangkok to Chiang Mai - fast and pretty cheap. Nothing wrong with the night train, but do you really want to spend 12 hours of your vacation on a train, at night, where you won't be able to see the scenery, and getting very little sleep?

The only day trip I know of In the area of Koh Lanka/Krabi that gets rave reviews is John Grey's Sea Canoes, You can book online in advance, but you shouldn't have problems booking once you get there.

If an elephant sanctuary is important to you, choose carefully yo hey one that treats her elephants humanely. One well-recommended is The Elephant Nature Park.

Enjoy your trip!
Sep 7th, 2018, 09:50 PM

NO alcohol permitted on trains in T'land. But many folks enjoy the ride.
Sep 8th, 2018, 02:32 AM

"NO alcohol permitted on trains in T'land." I am sure that is not the reason the OP is considering the train, but everytime I have taken the train in Thailand, there has been beer for sale.
Sep 8th, 2018, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank u guys for taking the time to answering my question.
@crellston : we thought about skipping Bangkok at the beginning of our trip but since we will arrive there after some 15 hours flight from Morocco so we thought we'd spenf a day and a half there. Also, we will have to come back there later to take our flight home.
@Kathie : I really haven't given it much though since I read everywhere about the night train experience as a must do. But now that u mention it, 12hours is a long time with probably some to no sleep at all.
This said, im thinking abouy flighing to Chiang Mai but this will shorten our stay in Bangkok (transfers between airport and hotels). So im thinking of keeping only 2 full days to Chiang mai (1 day for city and 1 day for a ziplining day trip)

Otherwise, should I stay all the night in Koh Lanta or do some island hopping instead like spend 1 night in each?

thanks a millon

Search this Thread