One Visa for multiple countries?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to travel to South-East-Asia the upcoming year for several month, and I want to start at Vientam and might travel further to cambodia, malaysia, thailand, indonesia and maybe the phillipines.
So my question is what kind of visa do I need is there a visa that allows me to travel to those countries and stay there for a certain time without having to get a visa for every single country I travel to?
And also if I want to work there, do I need a working permit for all of those countries.

I was planning on doing a combination of work and travel and backpacking...

Hope you can help me, and thanks in advance!
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 07:15 AM

There has been talk of such a visa - but firstly I'm not sure if it got started and secondly, I'm pretty sure it wasn't going to include Thailand....
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 07:32 AM

No, there is no multi-country visa for SE Asia. And if you want to work (even volunteer work), you need a different kind of visa than you need just to visit.

What country's passport do you travel on? If you hold a US passport, note that VN has just increased the price of a visa pretty dramatically.

Visa requirements are different for different nationalities, so we can give you little accurate information without knowing your nationality.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 07:32 AM

You don't mention one important fact - your home country. Visa requirements depend entirely on your nationality.

I think there maybe special arrangements for ASEAN nations but certainly not for the rest of the world.

Each country will have its own requirements, conditions and costs for visas which will vary tremendously by country. If you want to work you will need a work permit or visa for each country.

www.travelfish.org may be a good place to start.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 08:16 AM

Your question is ridiculous. No one can tell you what visas you need without knowing what passport you hold.
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 10:20 AM

visas are issued by individual countries... not all of these countries require a visa for short stays for us citizens---varies by your citizenship
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Seems like I should have included my home country, it's germany.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 02:27 AM

As noted, you have to address each country's visa rules separately. You can enter Indonesia at most (not all) airports visa free for a stay up to 30 days. If you do this you must also exit at an air or seaport that offers visa free entry. If you buy a visa on arrival you can extend that 30 days to 60 days once you are in country.

You cannot work in Indonesia as a tourist. In order to earn money in Indonesia you need a work permit. You may be able to do some kind of work on a business visa, but the rules are complicated.

You also need to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months from the date of your arrival in Indonesia.
Old Sep 16th, 2016, 02:28 AM

Most of those countries will grant visas on arrival. Cambodia $30 ( or an evisa). Vietnam is freee for <15 days or 1- 3 month visas are available from various agencies online at minimal cost plus a stamping fee depending on time $25 for one month, more for 3 months ( you can only enter at airports in Hanoi, Da Nang and Saigon. Overland entry requires a full visa which you can get from a Vietnam consulate when travelling. Phnom Penh was good a few years ago.

Malaysia is free for 90 days on arrival, Thailand free fo 30 days. Philippines is free for 30 days.

Indonesia I think is now free for thirty days but there is a 60 day visa available from certain embassies and consulates , Kuala Lumpur was one but they do change frequently.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Could anyone give me visa info for a US citizen going to Cambodia and Vietnam? I take it I would need 2 separate visas from the above comments.

Looks like we will fly to Cambodia, go to Saigon (fly?), and leave from Hanoi.

Total time in the two countries 14 - 15 days.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 02:30 PM

As a US citizen, you can get a visa on arrival for Cambodia. For VN, you must arrange in advance for your visa and the new price is not yet clear - but in the area of $185 for a full year multiple-entry visa. When you are ready to arrange your VN visa, do some research, as each embassy or consulate in the US has a different price, and the various travel agencies in VN have not yet established their fees. The VN Visa involves a fee for your visa approval letter plus a "stamping fee' when you arrive in VN by air.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 04:43 PM

It is certainly being discussed.

"Is A Multi-Country Tourist Visa For Southeast Asia On The Cards?" - http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/is-a-mul...-on-the-cards/

http://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/news...88.html#p86953

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/dest...countries.html
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 12:58 PM

Did you go on your trip? I'm planning the same type trip to those countries in a few month. Any advise would be great!!