Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   12 day trip to China (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/12-day-trip-to-china-669021/)

LostinChina Jan 10th, 2007 10:44 AM

12 day trip to China

What do all you experienced travellers think of this plan for a 12 day trip to China?

Chicago to Beijing 1 travel day,lose 1 day Beijing 2 days, staying at Peninsula Palace Beijing to Xian-travel day
Xian 1 day staying at Sheraton Xian
Xian to Hangzhou -travel day
Hangzhou-2 days staying at Shangri La Hangzhou to Shanghai travel day
Shanghai 1 day staying at JW Marriott Shanghai to Chicago travel day

What do you think about the time allowances and especially the hotel choices?

Thanks!

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2007 01:07 PM

Well, if 12 days is all you have, I guess 12 days is all you have, but this is very little time in a lot of places. Not sure what you mean by travel days - it would be easier to follow if you specified nights instead of days. If you're flying on travel days you could consider night trains instead. While I'm not that fond of Shanghai, one day there will let you visit the museum, but two days for Beijing is really, really short.

Marija Jan 10th, 2007 01:44 PM

We've stayed at all of the hotels you're proposing and we liked them all. However, in Xian the Sheraton is pretty far from the center. There's a new better located hotel that has recently opened. With twelve days I would certainly skip Hangzhou, not worth the effort. I would add a day to Shanghai and Beijing. See my trip report for more details about the hotels.

Marija Jan 10th, 2007 01:46 PM

Here's the trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34682619

Shanghainese Jan 10th, 2007 03:11 PM

I agree with thursdaysd, travel days is hard to follow, especially "1 travel day, lose 1 day ..."

Did you plan a more leisurely trip for 2006 and couldn't go? A lot is packed into 9 days this time. Why flying from Xian to Hangzhou? How are you getting from Hangzhou to Shanghai? It's 2 hours by a/c bus or train, not 1 travel day.

The hotels are fine.

LostinChina Jan 10th, 2007 03:31 PM

Ok, let me try to clarify. Yes, we had planned a trip in 2005 and couldn't go. I'm trying to redo that trip and hopefully improve on it.

Marija,
I'm printed out your trip report and will study it. Thanks! We, too, are trying to fly out of Chicago to Beijing on United. What is the better hotel that opened up recently that is closer to the center? Glad you like all the other hotels.

Daty 1: Fly from Chicago to Beijing, arrive in Day 2 due to international date line.

Day 2: Adjust to time change, see area around hotel. Stay at Peninsula Palace

Day 3: Tour Beijing

Day 4: Tour Beijing

Day 5:Fly from Beijing to Xian Stay at Sheraton Xian

Day 6: See Terra Cotta Warriors

Day 7: Fly Xian to Hangzhou stay at Shangri La

Day 8: Tour Hangzhou

Day 9: Tour Hangzhou

Day 10:Transportation by van from Hangzhou to Shanghai and tour Shanghai
Stay at JW Marriott

Day 11: Tour Shanghai

Day 12: Fly from Shanghai back to Chicago

We have relatives in Hangzhou and need to spend more time there.

Hope this clarifies things. Thnaks!

rkkwan Jan 10th, 2007 03:56 PM

Add a day in Beijing. Subtract one in Hangzhou. You can cover the West Lake in just one day in HZ.

Shanghainese Jan 10th, 2007 03:59 PM

Much better, thanks, but still rushed, wish you could add a day to Beijing.

thursdaysd Jan 10th, 2007 04:18 PM

I agree with Shanghainese. Really, the only must-sees in Shanghai are the museum plus a stroll along the Bund to check out the colonial architecture on one hand and the modern Chinese high rises across the river on the other. I'd take the full day you have in Shanghai and add it to Beijing. Can't help with the hotels, they're out of my price range, but I would try to stay in the center of Xi'an - i.e. the closer to the drum and bell towers the better.

LostinChina Jan 10th, 2007 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback!!

Shanghainese Jan 11th, 2007 07:35 AM

2 days in Beijing -- Musts: 1/2 Great Wall, 1/2 day Imperial Palace Museum, 1 hour Tienanmen Square. No need to go to Ming Tombs. Since the Summer Palace is a replica of the West Lake commissioned by an emperor who fell in love with HZ, skip it. That leaves you time to choose between hutong tour, Temple of Heaven, Beihai Park,shopping and others.

LostinChina Jan 11th, 2007 08:42 AM

Shanghainese,
I agree about the Ming Tombs. I heard they were not worth it. Temple of Heaven we would like to see. I think we will save shopping for Shanghai before we return home.

How strict are the internal airlines if our luggage is overweight? What are the weight restrictions and number of bags?

thursdaysd Jan 11th, 2007 09:24 AM

I actually enjoyed the Ming tombs - not the tombs themselves, but I loved the statues along the Spirit Way. Still, I'd vote for the hutong tour over the tombs. Even better, wander around the streets and the lake north of Beihai Park on your own. Also, don't miss the night market food. The market has been cleaned up and organized, but it's still fun. (Off Wangfujing Dajie just north of the Foreigner's Bookstore.)

travelgirl2 Jan 15th, 2007 09:37 PM

So much to see in Beijing. Can you add 1 more day?

LostinChina Jan 16th, 2007 07:48 AM

Actually after reading all of your posts, I decided to extend the trip to 14 days. I thought I might add a day to Beijing and a day to Shanghai? How does that sound?

thursdaysd Jan 16th, 2007 09:24 AM

Lost - great idea! The more time in China the better! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

rkkwan Jan 16th, 2007 09:28 AM

With that extra day near the end, you can go from Hangzhou by road to Suzhou, stay one night there, before going to Shanghai (one hour by train).

kudzu Jan 16th, 2007 12:14 PM

I agree with most of what's been said above, but if you're spending the money for the Sheraton in Xian, I'd recommend the Hyatt instead. It's downtown while the Sheraton is well outside the city wall, and if you're a big walker, you can walk from the Hyatt to the Mosque and Muslim quarter in maybe 20 minutes. Or take a five minute taxi ride that will cost probably less than Y10.

I'd agree about spending less time in Hangzhou, but if you have family there, what you've allotted would be fine. There are actually a lot of things to see in HZ and it's also great for just relaxing. The Shangri-La on the lake is the best place, in my opinion, though some of the rooms can be a bit tired and/or smoky.

Have fun, K

LostinChina Jan 16th, 2007 07:19 PM

Good point about the Sheraton in Xian. I think you have talked me out of it. I was thinking of the Sofitel on Renmin Square. Some folks had recommended it. However, when I read the reviews on the trip advisor forum, most were not too good. I'll have to compare the Sofitel and Hyatt. Thanks!!