Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   1 nt on Phuket or add a night to Phi Phi or BKK? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/1-nt-on-phuket-or-add-a-night-to-phi-phi-or-bkk-588871/)

LA_FadeAway Feb 6th, 2006 11:42 PM

1 nt on Phuket or add a night to Phi Phi or BKK?

So, I want to go ahead and book a cheap flight from Phuket to BKK. I'll be coming from Phi Phi. Trying to decide if I should go straight from Phi Phi to the Phuket airport then on to Bangkok that day or should I spend the night in Phuket for logistics and to check it out. If not, should I add the extra night to Phi Phi or Bangkok? I'll already have three nights at each. What would you do?

magical_routes Feb 7th, 2006 01:46 AM

stay an extra day on phi phi if i were you...

TexasSlim Feb 7th, 2006 02:08 AM

One night in Phuket doesn't really give you much chance to see or do anything there, so I wouldn't bother. Between adding the extra night to PP or BKK, then I'd prefer PP.

hi50phd Feb 7th, 2006 02:38 AM

Check the ferry schedules. You might need to get to spend the night on Phuket in order to catch your flight to BKK.

simpsonc510 Feb 7th, 2006 04:07 AM

If you opt to stay on Phuket one night, you will want to limit yourself to one of the places on the northern part of the island. Places like Kata Noi (my own favorite), Kata or Karon beach are about 45-60 minute drive/ride from the Phuket airport.

rhkkmk Feb 7th, 2006 08:00 AM

i would add one nite in bkk as 3 is not sufficient if you have not been there before and if your 3 nites are when you arrive, your day one will be not too productive as you will be quite tired if arriving from usa

LA_FadeAway Feb 7th, 2006 09:28 AM

Hmmm, the three nights will actuall be after about 12 nights of beach time, so jet lag won't really be an issue. Our flight to Siem Reap is late on the last day, so we'd really have almost four days if we fly out of Phuket early. Is that still not long enough for BKK?

rhkkmk Feb 7th, 2006 09:37 AM

well you probably know that we love bangkok...on our upcoming trip we will have 3 days in bkk, then 2 a bit later on and then 14 at the end of our trip....keep in mind that we have now been to bkk 10 times in 11 years, and you ask me if 3 or 4 days is enough???
wrong person to ask...

it is not enough time imo...

do you have my bkk restaurant listing? if not ask...

[email protected]

even though you flight is late, you have to allow over 3 hours lead time for bkk flights from the time you leave the city...do essentially you have 1/2 day on your last day...imo

i should also point out that many of the discount flights do not leave or arrive on time...keep that in the back of your planning mind as well... a regular thai air flight is not much more than $100 r.t.

rhkkmk Feb 7th, 2006 09:37 AM

with 14 days at the beach you will also have had plenty...

LA_FadeAway Feb 7th, 2006 01:51 PM

Good points. Now I just need to decide and book that flight!

Love2Travel64 Feb 8th, 2006 11:15 AM

About the flight...
If I had it to do over again, I would choose NOK airline over Air Asia, no question!!! But remember the discount airlines have tighter limits on the weight of your checked bags. Overweight bags can be very expensive.

Have Fun!

LA_FadeAway Feb 8th, 2006 11:45 PM

The problem with NOK is that they aren't accepting foreign credit cards on line right now and they aren't accepting reservations past mid March. I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm actually leaning toward 1-2-Go I think. They allow 20kg rather than 15 also!