Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   1 night hotel in Bangkok (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/1-night-hotel-in-bangkok-573633/)

CMA05 Nov 30th, 2005 06:00 AM

1 night hotel in Bangkok

On a cruise with an overnight stay in Bangkok, need recomendation on a 4*hotel right in town; convenience is a priority. For sight seeing, is it possible to do it on my own (with just 1 full day) or is it better to hire a guide?

BillT Nov 30th, 2005 06:21 AM

Try the Intercontinetal- its righ in the middle of the shopping area.
I would hire Ratt for the entire day and have her take you to all the must see places- Grand Palace, JT House, Teak Mansion, night market. You will get more done by using her.

glorialf Nov 30th, 2005 06:36 AM

I'd hire a driver to take you to Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, Jim Thompson House and Wat Po. Start early in the morning. In the late afternoon take a klong trip that includes wat arun. Having a driver will enable you to save all your energy for sightseeing.

Guenmai Nov 30th, 2005 06:47 AM

julietaxi.com if you can't get a hold of Ratt as a driver. I personally haven't used a driver in Bangkok, but for one day I would recommend getting one. Happy Travels!

mrwunrfl Nov 30th, 2005 10:54 PM

It is possible to do it on your own. It would help to have a guide, but a driver is not necessary. You can take a river boat and walk to the Grand Palace, boat to Wat Arun, walk or taxi to Wat Po and taxi for Jim Thompson House. Instead of a guide, though, all you really need is a decent map and you can easily do it on your own.

BillT Dec 1st, 2005 04:26 AM

Doing it on your own is certainly possible but will cost you time and more importanly energy. Hiring Ratt or Julie- you will be able to do more and conserve your energy. Ratt can line up a number of attractions- best times to go and will drop you in front of each attraction- no walking or waiting- no stairs to climb, etc. You have one day so you can't waste time waiting for cabs/boats, walking to get these, etc.

rhkkmk Dec 1st, 2005 07:04 AM

the location of your hotel really does NOT matter if you are going to be out all day on tour....for this reason and to get the best view of bkk, i would suggest the river as a #1.....drivers can easily get access to you there for the tour as well....cheapest is the marriott resort and spa, next is the sheraton orchid and the hilton milleneam, then the shangri-la and finally the peninsula and then the oriental....all are fabulous...i prefer the marriott overall but maybe not for a one day visit...sheraton might suit you well....

i second ratt or julie to assist....normally i would suggest you do it on your own but a driver could speed things along, would arrange the things in the best order and would know all the ins and outs of doing it....otherwise if you do it on your own you will only see a couple of things unless you are super organized....and don't discount the heat and humidity...they will knock you for a loop...the a/c car will allow for a quick refresh between stops and the driver would have cold waters for you as well....money well spent actually...

[email protected]

this is rat's address

rhkkmk Dec 1st, 2005 07:07 AM

for other hotels i would suggest the following: holiday inn silom, holiday inn bangkok on plenochit (new), intercontinental as bill suggests, hyatt, conrad, sheraton grande, westin grande, jw marriott, davis, rembrandt (low on my list but good location and excellent restaurants and cheaper than the others), majestic grande has a great rate now and is a new hotel....

CMA05 Dec 2nd, 2005 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have emailed Julie, no reply yet. I just emailed Ratt, hope she'll get back to me soon.