I'm finally just over a month away from my 10 week trip to Thailand and Southeast Asia.
I'm really excited about my trip to Southeast Asia but also completely overwhelmed with all the preparation. Major decision fatigue and nerves are setting in!
Do you think that as a 24 year old weakling with no plans for hiking, with the below itinerary and staying in hostels/guesthouses, I would be significantly better off with a backpack versus a traditional wheeling suitcase? I've only traveled in Europe before and with friends for short vacations, so it is hard for me to imagine the luggage I'll need on this trip!
My very loose itinerary:
Flying in and out of Hong Kong from NYC. Flight booked 1-way to Chiang Mai
3 weeks volunteering Chiang Mai (all set)
Slow Boat to Laos
1 week MAYBE volunteering in Laos (need to contact NGO, will hopefully be able to decide if I'm up for it once in Chiang Mai)
1-2 weeks in Laos - Hopefully seeing elephant festival and doing lots of weaving/dying workshops (already found a few) - Definitely Luang Prabang, potentially Vang Vieng and Vientiane, but then flights are harder to get to Siem Reap
1 week yoga retreat near Siem Reap (picked out but not yet contacted)
1 week Angkor Wat and Siem Reap and area
1 week Phnom Penh and other cities/towns around Cambodia (I have a list from guidebooks)
1 week Thai beaches
1 week Bangkok
In addition to the overwhelming backpack decision (and if I should use a backpack, which??? I may have already ordered three options...), are there any common prep things that I'm forgetting? How important are conservative long sleeve tops and pants vs tees and shorts?
I have purchased World Nomads insurance, have gotten (overpriced) malaria and typhoid prescriptions to be picked up this week, and know I need to get passport photos taken for Visas on arrival. Anything else???
I never knew I could be this neurotic
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 We help you live your dreams.
- 2 Vietnam April 5 - 16
- 3 best way to spend two days in Chiang Mai
- 4 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 5 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 6 Trip to India Feb 1-18
- 7 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan
- 8 VN + Japan 6 wks March/April - which order?
- 9 PNG : Plumed, primal, proud...
- 10 Travel options from Negombo to Mirissa
- 11 Wat Arun
- 12 Solo or group tour for first trip to India?
- 13 Miyajima Island
- 14 Vietnam, Cambodia & Hong Kong - Fall 2017 Trip Report
- 15 What to do with a Layover in Taipei?
- 16 Family trip to Thailand for Christmas and possibly New year
- 17 Vientiane to LP December
- 18 Safest beach area for solo female in Sri Lanka
- 19 Hotel in Vientiane 18-24 December
- 20 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 21 Prelim itinerary Java, Bali
- 22 5 days in Singapore
- 23 ONLY 3 DAYS in BEIJING -BEST THINGS TO DO?
- 24 Shanghai in January
- 25 24hrs in Seoul on Christmas..what to do