Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   1 Month in Bali in February - What to pack?! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/1-month-in-bali-in-february-what-to-pack-1004002/)

donnaandspence Jan 25th, 2014 09:10 PM

1 Month in Bali in February - What to pack?!

Hello all,

I am three weeks away from my month long trip in Bali. I think I'm fairly prepared but I wanted to get some last minute advice on what I should pack. We are staying in one location for the most part, with short trips here and there. I'll be doing some walking and light hiking as well as lots of beach time. A few dinners out but nothing extremely fancy. We are not staying at a hotel, we are staying in someones garden house. Very low key, low maintenance...just looking to relax and do a bit of exploring!

Ideally I would like to only take one bag with me (my carry on) as well as a large handbag. I currently got back from 3 months in Italy and overpacked tremendously so I am hoping a smaller luggage will help to eliminate that. I don't plan on bringing back a ton of souvenirs so no worries about that.

I'm also unsure about the weather. I know it can be very hot, even in the rainy season.

Here is my general idea right now:

1 Bathing suit
2 Tanks
1 T Shirt
1 Short
1 Light weight Capri
1 Pair of black tights
3-4 Dresses/Skirts
1 Pair hiking shoes
1 Pair sandals
1 Pair tennis shoes
1 Cardigan
1 Very Light weight rain jacket
1 Scarf
Toiletries, Passport, $25USD for Visa, etc.
E-Reader
Lap Top

Too little? Too much?

Any tips? Thanks!

mareeS55 Jan 26th, 2014 12:33 AM

That's about right for packing, donnaandspence. Just keep your passports and your wallets close to your body, and don't allow children to come within touching distance.

The scam is, they try to take your hand smiley-smiley, and will slip a pill into your pocket, the policeman is around the corner, and you are the poorer of $50, or in big trouble if you don't pay up.

Our son lives there for several months of the year, these are some of his tips.

marmot Jan 26th, 2014 02:30 PM

A month in Bali! Bali has terrific clothes and accessories shopping, so whatever you need you can buy while you're there. Your first purchase should be a sarong.

I'd bring 2 swimsuits, 2 sandals or Flipflops, maybe another light weight sweater or jacket for cool evenings on the ocean or in Ubud. A shawl is good too.

I'd choose flats instead of tennis shoes (unless you intend to play), some loose long pants, a kaftan or shift for lounging around the villa.

I've never used a rain jacket. Maybe a folding umbrella. But don't forget a sun hat! Sunscreen and mosquito repellent.

jazzcali Feb 1st, 2014 11:57 PM

If I were you I would remove the hiking and tennis shoes.
I made the mistake to take them with me in my last trips and it only brought me additional weight. The reason is that it is really hot, you won't be enjoying wearing close shoes.

Instead you should take hiking sandals that you can find in hiking stores. These were the only shoes I was wearing in S-E Asia.

For clothes material I was enjoying wearing loose linen tee-shirts and cotton short.

msjuly Feb 2nd, 2014 02:55 AM

Hi,
I'm in Jakarta but similar to Bali, we're currently in mid of rainy season but you guessed right, it's still hot and humid therefore please make sure that your tops/blouses are in cotton.
I should agree on bringing an umbrella and a kind of comfortable walking shoes (with a light grip on them) and casual sandals for beaches.
You might want to reduce the amount of dresses especially if you want to do a bit of shopping while in Bali.
I'd remove the hiking and tennis shoes as well.

Lastly, have a great time in Bali!

donnaandspence Feb 3rd, 2014 05:41 PM

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. I will definitely be bringing cotton tank tops and t-shirts, ditching the black tights and maybe limiting the amount of dresses (or opting for one dress and one maxi skirt to optimize outfits).

That is a great tip concerning the hiking shoes. I was a bit worried that they would be heavy, as they are the Merrell and kind of bulky.

Will something like this work for most walks/light hikes/shopping? http://thefashiontag.files.wordpress...akers-7-99.jpg

I'd rather not invest in a pair of hiking sandals if I can prevent it. What about Toms? Would they be good for daily use?

Thanks again for your help!!

marmot Feb 3rd, 2014 06:49 PM

I wear hiking sandals all the time in Bali. (I like Chaco's.)

They're great not only for hiking in the countryside -- through rice paddies, along river valleys, on muddy paths. They're also good as an alternative to flipflops for walking on the beach. Sand can be quite hot and unfortunately at this time of year there is a lot of trash on the western beaches. In town, sidewalks can be irregular, uneven and wet and slippery.

This month has been 50/50 sun/rain, but the rain has been torrential. There is water, water everywhere.

Don't skip the long pants. Lots of mosquitoes during the rainy season.