1 day in hong kong

Search

1 day in hong kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 day in hong kong

I'm visiting Hong Kong on my return to the UK from a stay in Japan. I will be in HK from landing at 3.00pm on 13th may till i take off at 11.55pm on the 14th.

I could do with advice on where to stay and what "must see things" i shouldn't miss.

I want to to stay somewhere cheap and can suffer a small room as i don't intend to spend much time in it. From reading some of the threads on the Asia forum so far, the YMCA Salisbury seems a good bet, but if anyone can recommend elsewhere?

I would like to balance seeing a couple of the sights with doing some shopping (i understand HK is a shopping haven?!?) I'm just shy of 30 and would like to go out on the evening i arrive, any suggestions of bars/areas that might fit my bill?

any help is greatly appreciated
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Lan kwai fong is the bar district on HK island. You're always guaranteed a good time there.

On a nice day, you can take the escalators to the top of the mountain on HK island. The view is amazing.

Shopping is good, not quite as cheap as Singapore or New York, but there's still alot of good stuff to buy. Stay away from the electronics dealers on Nathan Rd. - it's all a scam of the bait and switch variety.

YMCA Salisbury is really the best value in town if you can get a harbor view room.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:34 AM

Going to the top of the Peak is worthwhile. (it's not the escalators that take you there, but the peak tram). You can do a one hour walk around the peak, which is really lovely.

What do you want to shop for? Hong Kong is no longer the place to buy quality good inexpensively, the prices for many goods are often similar to US and European prices. There are interesting and unusual goods that are worth looking at. I always buy tea there, as they have an excellent selection of loose teas - pearl jasmine is my favorite.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:30 AM

You could do the following:

- As Kathie said, go to the Peak. Ensure that the day is not foggy, however. The last time I was there it fogged up and there was hardly a view. Take the tram up and down. Its quite a ride - almost at an angle of 45 degrees.

- Walk around the markets of Kowloon. I did this for an hour or two. Its more fun in the evening, apparently, but I did not have time. If you go from the Peak (Central) to Kowloon, take the ferry. Nice views.

- Alternatively, you can take a trip to the Po Lin monastery. They have the worlds largest sitting Buddha statue there. The bus ride takes you out of the city and into the more non-urban parts of Hong Kong.

However, for a first time visit, the first two should be good enough.

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:17 AM

Have a dimsum brunch on 14th. Maxim's in City Hall is my favourite, though affiliated restaurants on Kowloon side may do. Ride a lot of cross-harbour ferry for mere HKG2.20. Don't miss on mango dessert (mango pudding/smoothie) at Hui Lau Shan dessert chains (one at the airport on the arrival floor), or chinese dessert at Sweet Dynasty.

I like antique shops around Hollywood Rd. Again, depends on what you're interested, but I liked some chinese silk goods (cushion covers, table runners)--China Craft on Kowloon near Star Ferry.
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

thanks very much guys for your comments. YMCA, harbour ferry ride and a trip to the peak it then.

cheers
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I suggest that u do Ngong Ping Skyrail which is 5.7km cable car journey, travelling between Tung Chung Town Centre and Ngong Ping on Lantau Island.

I personally enjoyed this way more than the Peak..Was just there at the end of January.

http://www.np360.com.hk/html/eng/np3...&soundpos=