Xmas travel when to buy cheapest seats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....Xmas? when o you think the cheapest seats will go on sale.
Old May 8th, 2008, 05:55 PM

My advice would be to scarf up your tickets as soon as you see a fare that you find acceptable. Airlines don't have to put those tickets on sale at low prices to many destinations because they sell out. While it's possible to get lucky, it's even MORE possible to get unlucky. Sometime between Labor Day and Halloween, it traditionally just begins to go higher and higher for Christmas unless you have a large window (long stay) to work with.
Old May 8th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Depends on where to where, flying which class...
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much flyboy? Sounds like sound advice, anyone else have any ideas?
Old May 9th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

rkkwan hnl to nyc or phl
looking for the best time to buy cheapest seats.

Whatever information you have would be helpful. thanks
Old May 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I'm looking at ORD-BKK and the prices are outrageous! I'm not used to paying nearly 2k for an economy ticket that isn't even upgradeable. My TA just throws her hands up and "screams" right along with me. She has no idea whether prices will drop, or go even HIGHER for my December/January time frame.

Any ideas out there?

Carol
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

simpson
I have never ever found deals through a TA. Years ago I used bucket travel agents to destinations abroad. They are agents set up to sell seats airline does not expect to sell at 2K. Friends in NYC still use these shops to the middle east. BKK was always advertised in London bucket shops.

FYI WHAT A FUN XMAS YOU HAVE IN MIND.

The bucket travel agents advertise in travel sections of city papers. I would look in LA and Chicago if I were you. No one is going anywhere with these online stupid 2k prices.

WHERE THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY. ALWAYS WITH TRAVEL.
Old May 10th, 2008, 09:46 AM

sarah
I don't understand what you mean by a bucket travel agent. Can you explain? I fly from ORD but I have to drive 3 hours to do so, so I do not live in or near Chicago and do not get their newspapers.

Carol
Old May 10th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

bucket travel shops operate as consolidators for airlines that expect to have a number of seats they won't fill at market discounts even. They are usually in my experience are mom and pop travel agents that specialize in international travel. They usually operate out of major cities.

...even in high season you can find deals through these operators.

Do you have a local newspaper store that sells newspapers from out of state? Or the chicago tribune? Go to library check out NYTimes/LA times Sunday travel section, the advertisement page. If you see very very low rates dimes to donuts they are a bucket shop or consolidators, both terms are used. Some times you do need to make a few calls but its worth it in the end. only way I know to find a consildator.

Unless you want to run a post on the intl. page asking for best consolidator in your area.
See prices can be so low through a consolidator you might even want to book your flight through LA and just buy a separate ticket to LA from your destination.

Consolidators or bucket shops in my experience are different than most travel shops as the deal exclusively with bargain basement prices on internatal flights. That has been my experience anyway.

Sorry to be so long winded. For what its worth. People here in Honolulu tell me they get the best deals on airfare to Asia from the newspapers.
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM

Carol:

Unfortunately, airfare to BKK during the holiday season is at its highest. Went to HK and Philippines from STL Xmas 2006 (left 19 Dec, came back 7 January) and we paid $1750 per person. Yikes!! I bought the tickets June of that year, if that helps. And it never went down.....my consolation was that each of us earned a ton of FF miles!
Old May 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Did you use a bucket shop Joy or fly with a carrier from abroad?

One last thing Simpson consolidators are usually using foreign carriers that dominate the market in the country that you are flying too. Again just my experience.
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:38 PM

&quot;<i>Did you use a bucket shop Joy or fly with a carrier from abroad?</i>&quot;

Neither, really

I used United Airlines to HK, and Singapore Air from HK to MNL.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

I am just thinking they may be why you paid such a high fare.
Old May 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Sarah,
My TA does look at prices from consolidators. Not sure who she looks at, but she does refer to them as consolidators. I've just never heard the term &quot;bucket shop.&quot;

I want my ff miles with Star Alliance carriers. I'm premier exec with United and I work hard to keep it that way. I like the percs. I also like to pick good seats, which I can do on UA since I have status with them. I'm tall and want leg room. If I fly some off-brand carrier I won't have that luxury. Guess I'll just have to pay the price... But I'll keep on watching for a while longer before I bite.

Carol
Old May 10th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Just a final peep.

Sounds like you are doing ok with that class of service Carol. Still I would do my own search of consolidators to have the low down on the best deal.

For the heck of it. I use to find incredible deals on consolidators.

Just never found a commercial travel agent who could match it. Again just my experience.

FYI my &quot;off brand&quot; carriers through a consolidators have been; British Airways, KLM, Aer Lingus, Egypt Air. And at the absolute low end of the spectrum but a travel memory for old age, Yugoslav Airlines LOL. Only dog in the bunch. ...But I can still laugh at the experience with friends who were there some 15years ago.

Good luck on your search. Will say a prayer to the travel gods for you

Old May 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Thanks, Sarah. (smile) Guess I should pray the travel gods on your behalf as well. Looks like we're both looking hoping to find a bargain. LOL