Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Winnipeg (Canada) to Freiberg (Germany) (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/winnipeg-canada-to-freiberg-germany-1699127/)

Keshav_95 Aug 3rd, 2021 03:04 PM

Winnipeg (Canada) to Freiberg (Germany)

Hello,

I'm travelling to Freiberg (Germany) from Winnipeg (Canada), I was wondering if someone can suggest to me the best possible route and connectivity to reach my destination.

So far google shows Frankfurt is the best Airport to land as Toronto - Frankfurt is kinda considered one of the busiest routes.

Kindly suggest. Thanks

Melnq8 Aug 3rd, 2021 04:00 PM

Are we talking about Freiburg im Breisgau?

Looks like your options are Frankfurt, Basel, Zurich, Strasburg, Munich, Stuttgart and Paris. Frankfurt looks to be the shortest route, at just over 19 hours total, with Basel and Zurich coming in second and third.

I've flown into Zurich and then taken the train to Freiburg im Breisgau, which I found very convenient. It's less than two hours by train from Zurich.

Moderator1 Aug 4th, 2021 07:23 AM

Moved to Air Travel forum

mrwunrfl Aug 4th, 2021 10:15 AM

Frankfurt or Zurich because you can reach those destinations with only one stop.

I took a look at travel on Aug 20. To Frankfurt the scheduled time is 11h 35m with a 1h 46m connection time. On that day, Zurich would require to stops (Toronto and Frankfurt) but on the 19th there is a one-stop itinerary 12h 50m with a 2h 56 connection in Toronto. Basel is over 15 hours with 2 stops.

Zurich might have the better rail service.
Trainline | Search, Compare & Buy Cheap Train & Bus Tickets (thetrainline.com)

But, DB can get you to Freiburg quickly
Trainline | Search, Compare & Buy Cheap Train & Bus Tickets (thetrainline.com)

mrwunrfl Aug 4th, 2021 10:17 AM

Nice map here: How to get to Freiburg im Breisgau from 5 nearby airports (rome2rio.com)

Keshav_95 Aug 4th, 2021 05:51 PM

Actually, its Freiberg with an "e" not "u" (state of Saxony)

Keshav_95 Aug 4th, 2021 05:53 PM

Freiberg is closer to Poland and Czech, while Zurich seems a little far away isn't it?

mrwunrfl Aug 5th, 2021 08:03 AM

In that case it looks like two flight connections to Dresden.
How to get to Freiberg from 5 nearby airports (rome2rio.com)

Keshav_95 Aug 5th, 2021 01:15 PM

Thank you!!!

J62 Aug 6th, 2021 02:20 AM

I fly from the US to Dresden frequently (or used to pre COVID). The best route is Lufthansa through Frankfurt.
You can get to Freiberg by train from the airport (connecting in Dresden) in about an hour.

A few notes about Freiberg, from my experience.
1. Lovely cathedral, and a fantastic Christmas concert. If you are there during the holiday season I highly recommend it.
2. Most unique Christmas market I've been to, with more local, unique foods and gifts than I've seen in any of the bigger city markets around the country.
3. Rich mining history. I don't recall if there is a mining museum, but it'd be on my list for next visit there

Melnq8 Aug 6th, 2021 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Keshav_95 (Post 17269695)
Actually, its Freiberg with an "e" not "u" (state of Saxony)

Oops, my mistake.