Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Will my mom have a problem?--reservation under her middle name (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/will-my-mom-have-a-problem-reservation-under-her-middle-name-831126/)

Cimbrone Mar 15th, 2010 03:33 PM

Will my mom have a problem?--reservation under her middle name

My mom goes by Hortense, her middle name. I purchased her domestic ticket online and made the reservation for Hortense. But all of her i.d. has her as Anastasia Hortense. Will they let her on the flight?

tru_echo Mar 15th, 2010 05:10 PM

Have you requested a change? Some airlines will charge a lot for this... but the ticket should really be in her actual name.

MissGreen Mar 15th, 2010 05:25 PM

On recent domestic trips around Australia. Nobody asked me for ID. I thought that was a "no no".

thursdaysd Mar 16th, 2010 06:13 AM

"around Australia. Nobody asked me for ID" - lucky you. The situation is exactly the opposite in the U.S.

Where is the flight, Cimbrone?

Cimbrone Mar 16th, 2010 06:47 AM

Ft. lauderdale to Atlanta. Thanks for the responses.

thursdaysd Mar 16th, 2010 07:01 AM

This is what the TSA says:

"If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I still be able to fly?

Secure Flight is a behind-the-scenes process that TSA and airlines collaborate on to compare the information you provide against government watch lists. The additional data elements that you may be asked to provide, such as date of birth and gender, serve to better differentiate you from individuals on the government watch lists.

Due to differences in boarding pass systems, boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide when booking your travel is used to perform the watch list matching before a boarding pass is ever issued, so small differences between the passenger's ID and the passenger name printed on the boarding pass, such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, or hyphens and apostrophes should not cause a problem for the passenger."

Anyone's guess as to whether using middle name instead of first counts as a "small difference". I'd probably try to change it, but I tend to paranoia.

kayd Mar 16th, 2010 07:12 AM

I'd argue that the ticket is ok because the name Hortense Lastname does appear on the ID, as part of the longer name. It is in the same category as using first but no middle name.

yestravel Mar 16th, 2010 07:30 AM

I would call the airline and see if they will change it 4 no charge. It could be okay, but then again the TSA agent may not think so. With the TSA I tend to err on the side of caution.

starrs Mar 16th, 2010 08:02 AM

I think there would be a problem if the id said
Anastasia H - and the ticket said Hortense

but don't think there will be a problem since the id says =
Anastasia Hortense and the ticket says Hortense

Cimbrone Mar 16th, 2010 10:53 AM

I wouldn't have thought so, starrs. But orbitz in conjunction with airtran encouraged me to pay the required $60 to have the name on the reservation changed to Anastasia. They said it could be significantly more to change it in the airport. Apparently I can use my capital one miles to cover it. Thanks for the info, everyone! (And, starrs, I'll let you know when we'll be around...maybe we can get together??)

kayd Mar 16th, 2010 11:10 AM

Of course they recommend the change, for a fee! They just picked up $60 for almost no work. But I understand your wish to avoid any possible hassle.

djkbooks Mar 16th, 2010 12:26 PM

I do not agree that "they just picked up $60 for almost no work". If there were no charges for changes, they'd be deluged and fares would go up.

rkkwan Mar 16th, 2010 01:49 PM

Next time, you'll double check the names before booking tickets.