Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Who remembers the good ol' days? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/who-remembers-the-good-ol-days-274115/)

Wheeezer Nov 18th, 2002 11:33 AM

Who remembers the good ol' days?

Who remembers the golden era of airlines travel? I define it as when passengars got dressed up to fly. Men and boys would wear suits and ties and women would wear their Sunday finest. No jeans, tank tops and sweat suits. There was a certain civility to travel. Meals were edible and, at times, good. You were served more than the usual choice of chicken or a pasta dish. Seats seemed bigger sometimes you entered the plane up a flight of stairs instead of the tram way. And those stewardesses! They seemed to be chosen as much for their looks as their skills. And you know what? They were actually pleasant!! Ahhhh, the good ol' days of airline travel!!

herman Nov 18th, 2002 01:16 PM

My parents (in thier 70's) still dress up to fly.

kkj Nov 18th, 2002 01:45 PM

I notice that when I am dressed up on a flight, I tend to get better service.

Randy Nov 18th, 2002 04:33 PM

I remember those days well.On a typical ATL-ORD,DTW,LGA am flight you would get scrambled eggs,biscuit,sausage,fruit....plus juice/tea in coach.Also when a snack meant sandwiches,roast beef,piled high!

Jim Rosenberg Nov 18th, 2002 04:54 PM

Air travel was a luxury in those good old days, too. Take the family across the country by air or to Europe on a vacation?! The price of a ticket in comparison to average income made it something that was essentially out of reach for most people. Airlines were serving a different market and our society has changed along with the average seat width since those days, too. (If you look at film of the first AFL-NFL championship game which is now known as the Super Bowl, note the number of people in the stands wearing jackets and ties).

michael/lax Nov 18th, 2002 11:39 PM

What I remember most is my experience as a Pan Am Worldpass Frequent Flier member. While making your reservation, you could pre-order your meal in advance irrespective of the cabin class you travel in! The cabin attendants were great, those free upgrades to Upper Clipper Class, and seeing the same crew on those frequent flights between Wash/Dulles and Frankfurt. So comforting to see the staff remembering you. I really miss Pan Am. I wish our government didn't meddle with the affairs of Pan Am. Pan Am built the first runways in most developing countries and ran a great schedule! I wish all the airlines currently flying in the U.S. would form an alliance to become one great airline and name it Pan Am. We need more civility in air travel!!!

Gerry K Nov 19th, 2002 05:11 AM

Ah, the good old days. <BR><BR>Many years ago my wife and I were among six Eastern Airlines passengers who, because of over booking, could not be seated on a flight from Bermuda to the USA east coast. Eastern personnel gave us a choice: they would put us up overnight and feed us, or they would fly another plane from the USA to Bermuda to take us home. We chose the latter. Imagine. For six people. (But perhaps that's why they're extinct.)<BR><BR>Gerry K

Vicky Nov 19th, 2002 05:21 AM

I remember the stewards passing out &quot;chicklets&quot; and also a small pack of cigarettes on each dinner tray. Showing my age!

x Nov 19th, 2002 08:13 AM

I remember my mom dressing us up all(includ. her) in matching outfits to go visit my grandmother in Michegan; and the cigarette smoke in your face from the passenger in front of you; and having to use the barf bag as a kid!

Ted Nov 19th, 2002 08:41 AM

Remember how LOUD aircraft used to be?<BR><BR>The good ol days? I'll take a 777 over a 707 anyday!

Vicky Nov 19th, 2002 09:32 AM

707? I'm talking about a DC3

Rocky Nov 19th, 2002 10:08 AM

Whats a 707?Didnt they mean &quot;007&quot;?? And DC3---1970's rockgroup??

kh Nov 19th, 2002 05:41 PM

I remember and miss the beautiful menus you got in the pointy end of the plane. And the cocktail lounges!! What a hoot those were. But to this day, I dress up when travelling first or business class and you do get treated better. Especially on Asian and South American runs. I still have my Pan Am luggage tags and a boarding pass from the last flight I took with them which happened to be the day they folded......Oh well......

Lara Nov 20th, 2002 04:34 PM

I remember that the plane and the area around the seats were actually CLEAN when we boarded and there was a little paper thing on the seat where you put your head (that they changed for every flight). It will never be that way again will it?

MML Nov 21st, 2002 06:21 AM

I LOVED those 707s -- they were stable, roomy. <BR><BR>Is anyone old enough to have flown on a Constellation Tri-Star, with the curved fusilage (sp) and the triple tail?

Gracy Nov 21st, 2002 02:13 PM

Do they have the Pub flights anymore? Had to be 16 or 17 years ago we flew from Denver to Newark on a crowded flight at Christmas time. There was a pub in the front of the plane where they served drinks and appetizers. We stood around and talked and drank the whole flight.

BTilke Nov 25th, 2002 05:34 AM

My first airplane ride was in the 1960s on a &quot;Whisperjet&quot;--which I remember as being pretty loud! What were they, anyway?<BR>The old Piedmont airline used to give us very good service. On one occasion, we had flown from Newark to Charlotte for Christmas; two days after we arrived, we received the news that my grandmother had died. We went to the airport to explain the situation and the staff immediately put us on the next available flight in first class at no charge (we had discount economy seats). No demands for a copy of the death certificate, just kind and efficient service with a sympathetic smile.<BR>More recently, I miss Sabena. It had a terrible reputation, but in the last year or so of its existence, the airline had upgraded to a new fleet (thanks to Swiss money) and I found the planes and service in coach and business quite good. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

John Nov 25th, 2002 09:58 AM

Yes, I rode on a Connie (but I was oh so young) ;)<BR><BR>As for pub flights, yes, remember them, too - I think both Continental and Alaska (before it became trendy) had them. Airborne anaesthetic. I simply can't imagine it nowadays - they wouldn't serve olives with toothpicks.<BR><BR>I remember little things, too - meals were served from the aft forward, so that you didn't have to look at people in front of you enjoying their meals before you got yours. Enjoying? Well...<BR><BR>&quot;Whisperjet&quot; was one of Eastern Airlines' trademarks. In the 60s it could have been any one of a number of airplanes, most likely an early 727, which did anything but whisper. I suppose &quot;Deafeningjet&quot; wouldn't have sold. <BR><BR>Speaking of Eastern, anyone remember the WHEALs? (We Hate Eastern Airlines.)

Maurice Dec 22nd, 2002 07:05 PM

I remember as a kid taking the 5:15 to La Paz from the Cuzco(?) on the coast. I think it was something like a DC3, and they gave you a plastic hose to stick in your mouth (!) so you would get enough oxygen. I guess I was too young to get grossed out.<BR><BR> The longer intercontinental flights were more interesting, especially when you were sitting next to the propellers. But I don't recall dressing up.<BR><BR>The departure lounge in Mexico City had a big glass wall with tiny holes drilled into it so you could talk to the relatives before departure, but they couldn't pass you anything.<BR><BR>Those were the days.

wilbur Dec 23rd, 2002 11:18 AM

My first flight was on Northeast Airlines, Philadelphia to Boston. Itwas a DC-3. I was young but remember everyone dressing like they were going to church.<BR>I flew a Super-Constellation from Philly to Burbank in 1961. Did fine until the final approach to landing. Made a run for the loo rather than use the barf bag. Stew said -&quot;Sit down!&quot; I said &quot;Bleahhhhh&quot; all over her and the floor.<BR>At Christmas, 1964 flew back from college in Albuquerque to Newark on a TWA 707. WOW - a jet, a big 4 engine jet!<BR>Flew from San Juan to Beef Island, Tortola on AirBVI in '78 or '79 and it was a beautiful DC-3, all spiffed up, painted, and with new seats. FA pushed a cart down the aisle with an insulated cannister from which she poured icy-cold pina coladas, my first taste of that drink.<BR>Flew from St. Kitts to San Juan on Prinair before Eastern took them over. Some type of DeHavilland two-engine prop plane that looked like Sky King's plane, the Songbird.<BR>What a nice thread this turned out to be. Thanks for helping me remember.