Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   who goes to the bathroom more during flights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/who-goes-to-the-bathroom-more-during-flights-705154/)

lynnejoel1015 May 14th, 2007 06:50 PM

who goes to the bathroom more during flights?

honest to god, i've noticed these days that men get up more often to use the restroom!

as a woman who drinks a lot of water on an apparently smaller than average bladder, i've gone my entire life making too many trips to the loo, but honestly, i can go a 4 1/2 hour flight without.

these days i swear (and i keep track!) more men get up and down out of their seats to use the restroom on the plane than women do.

why is that?

blightyboy May 14th, 2007 08:00 PM

I suppose counting the men helps pass the time

mrwunrfl May 14th, 2007 11:01 PM

more men on the plane than women, perhaps

wally34949 May 15th, 2007 02:50 AM

Passing Gas?

HKP May 15th, 2007 05:54 AM

For sure: More men on the plane.

Guessing:
Enlarged prostate problems.

Inclination to tank up on liquid refreshment before and during the flight.

Antsy-ness from being confined in cramped seating -- on assumption men are physically larger and also having observed boys vs. girls re: ability to sit still in grammar school classrooms.

Less inclined to "go when you can" before a flight, especially if they're jockeying to be first in the boarding line -- AND less inclined to "waste" a single moment in the loo once they get off the plane.

Reisender May 15th, 2007 06:42 AM

maybe they just gotta pee

mrwunrfl May 15th, 2007 10:38 AM

Must be the free beer.

Yes, prostate issues must be increasing as baby-boomers age.

Mamamia May 15th, 2007 11:31 AM

Also, think about LOGISTICS:

for men to pee is a LOT easier technically, then for women... So I guess women wait longer before they get to do it...

rkkwan May 15th, 2007 12:27 PM

I am a man. I go to the bathroom on longhaul flights a lot. There are many things one can do in the lavatories, don't you know? ;)

Things like brushing my teeth, applying more deodorant. [If I could bring a pocketknife, I would cut my nosehair in there! :D ]

Having said that, I don't know if I go to the bathroom more often than women.

FainaAgain May 15th, 2007 01:52 PM

Maybe just for a walk? Men are usually taller, so it harder for them to be confined into that tiny seat, so they just need to get up to move?

Are you sure they've used the restroom each time, or just walked to and from?

Gardyloo May 15th, 2007 02:29 PM

Yes but total elapsed time in the loo ought to be taken into consideration. 4 x 1 min. vs. 2 x 10 min. - do the math.

Citylghts May 15th, 2007 03:49 PM

The people who get up to use the washroom most during a flight are the ones who aren't in the aisle seats. ;-)

lynnejoel1015 May 15th, 2007 07:16 PM

LOL- you all have great replies! yes, prostate problems probably play into it with the older gents.

women have shorter anatomy, though, when it comes to the pipes and storage ability :)

blightyboy May 15th, 2007 07:25 PM

I have figured it out at last. It is to stretch the legs and to look for the pretty women and chat to the FA`s in the gally