Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Where to find the lowest prices (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/where-to-find-the-lowest-prices-138313/)

budget Jan 3rd, 2003 05:37 PM

Where to find the lowest prices

Looking for low domestic airfares for April. Which website have you had the most success finding cheap airfares? Thanks.

Jimbo Jan 4th, 2003 05:20 AM

Orbitz and Southwest.

Grammy Jan 11th, 2003 12:07 PM

WE have have good results with Expedia.

Tony Jan 13th, 2003 04:16 PM

Sometimes the airport you are flying from or to is more important than which website you use. If alternative airports are available, you certainly want to check them out when you are doing your searches. Also, don't forget that Southwest Airlines only shows up on its own website.

xx Jan 16th, 2003 10:56 PM

Sidestep.com. It is a peculiar website, though, in that the prices get cheaper the more often you check and the closer you get to your departure date. For example, if you check for a flight leaving in one week, the prices are pretty good. But if you check for a flight a month from now, and keep checking once a week, about a week or two before you leave the price will be the cheapest of all.

Christiana Jan 17th, 2003 11:51 AM

I have looked at SideStep.com, and they have some good prices, but I am not sure about booking online -- I have always used an agent. It just seemed safer... Still, I was wondering if it's better to wait a while before booking tickets? I am planning to fly to AZ in March and I'd like to be able to get good rates -- I've found good rates but I would like to to know whether it's better to get the tickets way early or wait until like three weeks before the date to travel?

jason Jan 17th, 2003 12:40 PM

Sidestep is great. I use it all the time. I thought you were flying Southwest?

annamal Jan 22nd, 2003 11:15 AM

I have the best luck with Orbitz. I think they have the best layout comparing different flight options for your search. Plus, they email you updates if you sign up for a free account- and that is cool.

Bill Jan 22nd, 2003 11:33 AM

travelocity &amp; orbitz, The airline webpages for special deals and fare sales. Compare against the e-saver prices. The Tuesday newspaper for fare sale ads. I end up by purchasing the ticket online at the carrier's webpage at the best price I found (most times) avoiding the $5 fee on orbitz and any other travel agent cost. And getting the 500 FF mile online booking bonus. You won't get a web-special fare from a travel agent. First stop in shopping for an AZ trip would be southwest.com<BR><BR>Getting a ticket online is safe and incredibly convenient.<BR>

Russell Farquer Jan 23rd, 2003 06:43 PM

Just a couple ideas....I usually start at smarterliving.com...here all the flights to/from you destination are listed. Then I usually check the individual airline web sites.<BR>Off peak travel usually give you better prices (before 8am-after 6pm). Many of the airlines have &quot;weekend&quot; specials....Fly Sat.- Return Mon/Tues.<BR>Travelzoo has weekly specials (various airlines).Subscribe to Travelzoo newsletter. Example...Seattle-San Jose Costa Rica $319...usually $469-$550)