Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Where do send a question to UA regarding a fee (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/where-do-send-a-question-to-ua-regarding-a-fee-803205/)

yestravel Aug 26th, 2009 04:22 PM

Where do send a question to UA regarding a fee

I was charged the $25 reservation fee for ticketing with a UA agent on the phone. This was done thru the phone because UA had issued me vouchers and they could not be used with internet ticketing--they had to be redeemed via the phone. I was told when I got the vouchers and when I called to cash them in that the fee would not be charged. However, my credit card did get charged the $25. I emailed UA thru their online customer service and was told they will not refund the fee. Any suggestions where I should send my appeal? Thanks

Seamus Aug 27th, 2009 03:14 PM

Call and ask to speak with accounting, which handles refunds. Have your record locator and/or ticket number handy when you call. Get the name of the person with whom you speak and ask whether they will handle it by issuing a credit to the original form of payment (most likely) or sending you a check and when you can expect it to be processed.

yestravel Aug 27th, 2009 06:04 PM

Thank you, I will give that a try.

Melnq8 Aug 27th, 2009 07:06 PM

Something similar happened to me with UA once. I disputed the fee and they sent me a voucher for the amount I'd been charged. I couldn't use the voucher because it was only good for my next flight booked from the US, and I don't live in the US. I gave up, as the effort involved in sorting it out far exceeded what it was worth.

Please post back if you get this resolved.

yestravel Aug 28th, 2009 05:45 AM

Melnq8, was this recently? And by the logic of UA if they refund the $25 fee by giving u a new voucher, u will still have to use a tix agent to use the new voucher and be charged $25 again. I have gotten their vouchers many times b4 and had to use a ticketing agent and never been charged the $25 fee. Last time was maybe 3-4 months ago.

Seamus Aug 28th, 2009 08:48 AM

That's why I suggest you speak with accounting and ask that the refund be made to your original form of payment (credit card.) They may try to talk you into accepting a voucher, but tell them you want a cc credit issued, and if they will not agree tell them you will dispute the charge with the cc company - then do so.

yestravel Aug 28th, 2009 10:15 AM

Yes, that is what I plan do to. already sent a letter to cr card company disputing the charge.

Melnq8 Aug 28th, 2009 03:49 PM

yestravel -

It was about a year ago. I agree, you'll probably have more luck disputing it with your credit card than with United. I should have done that. In fact, my CC company refunds disputes under a certain amount without even investigating them, as it's cheaper than jumping through hoops with the retailer/business.

yestravel Aug 31st, 2009 05:17 AM

Update-Success! I called UA Refunds accounting this am and within 5 minutes was told the $25 ticketing fee will be credited to my credit card. It took me longer to find a number and get thru their phone tree than the actual conversation. Thanks to Seamus for that suggestion.

Melnq8 Aug 31st, 2009 03:21 PM

Glad it worked out.