Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

When should I buy ticket for May trip to Italy?

Old Oct 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it to early to buy airline tickets to Italy. I would be leaving around May 10th and returning around the 29th. Right now they are running about $1000 including taxes and fees. Or should I wait until Jan/Feb?
Thanks,
Jeff
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
That's very expensive if you're leaving from Germany.

Or are you leaving from somewhere else?
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

This trip is originating in the U.S. to Italy, sorry should have clarified earlier.
-Jeff
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Honolulu? Barrow? Dogpatch?

Things are more expensive from farther away, as a general rule.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

cleveland, ohio to milan, italy then rome back to cleveland.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM

The problem is Cleveland. Start/end in Detroit, price is around $650, around $750 from CVG.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:20 AM

...oops, hit the button too soon...

The $650 is for the reverse route - DTW-FCO//MXP-DTW. Round trips and DTW-MXP//FCO-DTW are over $1000. The train costs less than $350.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I would recheck those figures. I fly out of Cleveland frequently, and have never found flights from Detroit or Cincinnati (other than an occasional sale) that have been appreciably less, particularly if you take into consideration the additional costs of getting to Detroit or Cincinnati.

I'm pretty sure there are no trains from Cleveland to Milan, nor from Rome to Cleveland.

I think you are seeing relatively high prices because you are shopping far in advance; historically prices a few month before the flight have been lower than those far earlier, although given a changing industry, nothing is guaranteed.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM

The DTW fares are on AZ; fares ex-CLE are on DL or maybe CO, and are back in the $1000 plus range. Of course this assumes AZ are still flying in May. (Lord I hope so - our $38 business class tickets from YYZ to Cyprus on AZ are for February.)

No trains from Ohio to Italy? Well, not yet anyway. http://tinyurl.com/yepzw6
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Personally I would not buy a ticket with Alitalia until after January or February when according the Italian news the financial problems with Alitalia will be solved..or not.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

clevelandbrown,
Do you usually fly continental to europe? I have only flown to europe once, and took airtran from akron to NYC then lufthansa to frankfurt. I would rather stick with one booking this time, the transfer from laguardia to kennedy last time was a little scary. Go Browns!
-Jeff
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Before my kids grew, I flew many airlines, but now I fly Continental almost exclusively as they have good service to where my kids and grandkids live, which led us to become frequent flyers, which addicted me to Continental and their partners. I suppose that is as good a reason as any to stick to one airline, but Continental is hardly the only US airline that offers decent service, and there are certainly valid reasons to ally with other airlines.

Living in the Cleveland suburbs, I try to fly out of CLE ever since I figured out how much it costs to fly from another airport. We can park free at RTA and get to the airport for about $5 for two of us. If I use an airport where I have to pay for parking, I'm out over $200 easily, not to mention transportation costs, for a two or three week trip. We usually fly through Newark, which is huge, but easy to get around in; some people don't like the service there, but if you realize you are dealing with metropolitan easterners, who are, may I say brusque, compared to people from other areas, it is something that is easy to deal with. You just have to view it as another culture, as any tourist should be prepared to accept.

I try to avoid switching airports in the NYC area (or any area, for that matter) as it seems like an opportunity for something to go wrong. That's one reason I avoid the discount carriers in Europe, who all seem to use secondary airfields.