Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   When can the pilot turn off the fasten seatbelt sign (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/when-can-the-pilot-turn-off-the-fasten-seatbelt-sign-1278974/)

wally34949 Apr 18th, 2017 01:50 AM

When can the pilot turn off the fasten seatbelt sign

If you have ever flown on a foreign airline, you might have been surprised that the fasten seatbelt sign was turned off at 10,000 feet, or about five minutes after take-off.

On a recent JetBlue flight from Ft. Lauderdale to Quito, Ecuador, the pilot came out of the cockpit before the flight and said, I am the most liberal pilot when it comes to the fasten seatbelt sign. I am legally allowed to turn it off at 10,000 feet and I will if it is smooth, however, if the fasten seatbelt sign is on, please stay in your seat. The fasten seatbelt sign was off after the first five minutes of the flight and not turned on again until 20 minutes to landing. What a nice flight!

I spoke to a Delta pilot who stated that they are allowed to turn the fasten seatbelt sign off at 18,000 feet if they feel it is safe.

United pilots are not allowed to turn off the fasten seatbelt until they reach their cruising altitude of about 37,000 feet. This can often take 30 minutes. On a recent flight from Buenos Aires to Houston, the fasten seatbelt sign stayed on for the entire flight.

If anyone has information about other airlines, please pass it on.

Southam Apr 18th, 2017 07:11 AM

Keep your seatbelt fastened at all times in case of sudden turbulence. Exception: Going to the toilet. But that's the only exception to this common-sense attitude.

J62 Apr 18th, 2017 03:44 PM

I'm more interested in when they start serving free drinks.

P_M Apr 18th, 2017 05:24 PM

If you tip the pilot they will turn it off sooner. ;-)

wally34949 Apr 19th, 2017 02:19 AM

Most foreign Airlines do not serve coffee and hot tea if the fasten seat belt sign is on.

J62 Apr 19th, 2017 02:28 AM

I'm not talking about coffee or tea.

huddoshols Apr 28th, 2017 07:28 PM

Seriously?? The seat belt sign in the cabin should be turned off when it is "safe" for crew and pax to get up out of their seats. No set height, safety dictates. For crew to carry out service duties. 37,000 with United??? Domestically in Aus we would be on descent. At all times pax should have their seatbelts on,even if the sign is off.

Melnq8 Apr 30th, 2017 01:07 PM

This is interesting, because I've noticed this very thing with foreign airlines, of which I've flown many.

I've even been on a few flights where the flight attendants were still up and darting about when we were almost on the ground during landing.

I keep my seat belt on when seated (and don't understand why others don't?), but I've come very close to wetting myself on a few flights where the pilot seemed to have forgotten to turn the seat belt sign off.

I've often wondered if it's a ploy with US carriers to keep passengers out of the aisles until the flight attendants have finished their duties. Surely if it safe for them, its safe for passengers?

justineparis May 8th, 2017 10:37 PM

I keep my seatbelt on at all times.. I loosen it a bit.. but its on for the whole 10-12 hours for flights to europe. Turbulance can happen at any time.

I do admit that its nicer when light is off so I can go to bathroom at will. .but other than that its a non issue to me.. Safety first.

november_moon May 12th, 2017 09:29 AM

"I've often wondered if it's a ploy with US carriers to keep passengers out of the aisles until the flight attendants have finished their duties. "

I've always suspected that was the case.