Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What will happen to my FF miles if Delta files for Ch11?

Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

I recently transfered enough miles for four business class tickets to Africa from America Express.We are planning to travel in August 2006.I just heard this morning that Delta will file for Ch 11 in September, if this happens where do I stand? I am planning to get my tickets as soon as it is possible. Thank you.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM

Nothing will happen. DL will still fly, and your FF miles and award tickets will still be good. UA, US, AC, CO, etc... has all either been in bankruptcy or is still in bankruptcy in the last 15 years, and they're all still flying.

Even when Eastern or Pan Am closed their doors, their FF miles and memberships were bought up by other competitors.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Nothing will happen to your miles in the immediate future. DL will continue to operate after a Ch 11 filing and you can still use your miles.

Which country in Africa are you planning to redeem your miles for? South African Airways is supposed to be joining Star Alliance soon. Once that happens, they will probably discontinue their relationship with DL.

Other partner carriers you can redeem flights to Africa on are KLM, Air France, Virgin Atlantic, and Emirates.

Four business class seats will be tough on any partner, and especially so on South African where I wouldn't have any expectation of being able to find 4 business seats on the same flight. Most people have a difficult time finding 2 business seats. I find Virgin Atlantic and Air France to be pretty generous partners, but since you're planning to travel in August which is peak season for transatlantic flights all bets are off.

If your destination is East Africa, then KLM and Emirates are your primary choices aside from South African. I've seen certain days where KLM showed up to 6-8 business seats available on their Nairobi or Kilimanjaro flights, but not in August. KLM will start service to Entebbe in November so you could try that flight too. I have no experience with Emirates award availability.

As a last resort if you're headed to South Africa, you could try Malaysia from Buenos Aires. I believe you would need a second award to get you from your home airport (I assume you live in the US) to Buenos Aires.

Not to sound so discouraging but trying to get 4 business tickets in August is not an easy task. Get to know all of your possible options before you call the partner award desk at DL. There might be some others that I missed. Good luck!
Aug 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM

Not to hijak this thread, but I had a question similar to this that didn't need its own thread.

What will happen to my tickets for travel in October if Delta files for Ch11???
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:17 AM

spellbound...Filing for Chapter 11 is seeking protection from the creditors, clear and simple.It is not "folding".Delta and Northwest are both expected to file chapter 11 soon, by the financial gurus.They are saying American might well join them.But all are expceted to continue to operate, to the travelers eye "as usual".
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Thanks alot BeachBoi for the reply.
That is what I figured, but I felt I had to make sure.

Italy, here we come! : )
Aug 9th, 2005, 11:56 AM

spellbound...There ya go!! Have fun....Report back when you return....
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:33 PM

The answer to all of your questions is simply nothing.

Chapter 11 means nothing to the operation of an airline.

Chapter 7 however means that you the sharp end of the sword and all of your FFP and your tickets have no value (unless of course another airlines offers to honor those tickets and points, like what USAirways did with Midway in 2002).

USAirways, America West and United have all been in and out of Chapter 11 (... United has yet to leave ...) and the operation of the airline has changed VERY little since December 2002.