Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   what to do if airline changes itinerary week before flight? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/what-to-do-if-airline-changes-itinerary-week-before-flight-279142/)

sue Dec 12th, 2002 07:03 AM

what to do if airline changes itinerary week before flight?

HELP. What can I do if Delta changes itinerary and the new times and connections are awful? Would have booked some other tickets. Other than a refund do they have an obligation to help? Tickets now are EXPENSIVE so a refund is not a option. Is there a rule about this? Appreicate others expertise.

Rocky Dec 12th, 2002 07:37 AM

S-<BR>It is my understanding that if you purchased your tickets thru a dot.com agency/Expedia/Orbitz/Airline direct,you may have no recourse.It has recently been determined that by &quot;agreeing&quot; to the &quot;Terms&quot; as stated on the appropriate website,you have forfeited any consumer rights you ordinarily would have.However,if you booked thru a TravelAgency,call them.If not, call the airline directly anyway.Explain your concern and ask if they will help you out.This time of the year, and under the current airline environment, I wouldn't be too pushy if you know what I mean.IMHO and I hope that helps.Good Luck.<BR>R

Michelle Dec 12th, 2002 09:45 AM

If your delta tickets were purchased directly through delta or a travel agent then you actually could get a refund due to an &quot;unacceptable schedule change&quot;. Otherwise delta must book you on connection flights that better suit you. You are not stuck with these tickets but due to flight cutbacks on all airlines, there may not be many options for rescheduling. Good luck.

TicketAgent Dec 12th, 2002 10:52 AM

The rule is as follows<BR>You Book It<BR>You Buy It<BR>You Own It<BR><BR>&quot;Unnacceptable schedule change&quot; is non existent.You selected the initial flight schedule.The airline WILL get you to your destination.But it never hurts to ask for a better schedule.There are only 2 possible answers to your request&quot;<BR>Yes<BR>No<BR>Nothing esle will happen and its worth your quarter.I would help you,thats for sure.You're the customer.For years the airlines referred to passengers as just that.Not customers.But thats what they are-customers.Good Luck!!

hanna Dec 12th, 2002 11:52 AM

If the scedule change incurs a layover of more than 90 minutes or extra stops, or getting you to your destination 2 or more hours later than the original you are entitled to a refund. Call Delta. You would not believe how often they mix up schedules when better ones are really available. A computer quirk I have been told. It may not be so bad.

asdf Dec 12th, 2002 02:48 PM

&gt;&quot;Unnacceptable schedule change&quot; is non existent.<BR><BR>Wrong.<BR><BR>The airline cannot simply change you to different flights, outside the range which Hanna mentioned, without your permission. When they do have a schedule change, their computer usually does its best to reaccommodate you but you have the right to change that.<BR><BR>For example, if you are scheduled to depart on a morning flight which is cancelled and the airline puts you on a flight the previous evening, it is quite obvious that it may be unacceptable. If there are no other flights on the original day, of course they have to refund your money OR put you on another airline OR any other mutually agreeable solution.

LookItUp Dec 12th, 2002 07:17 PM

What governs this situation is &quot;Rule 240.&quot; Many mistakenly assume there is one rule 240 that applies to all airlines, but this is not the case. Each spells out its own terms in the &quot;fine print&quot; There are federally established minimums, but you can verify your entitlement with Delta by clicking on the link for &quot;Database of airline passengerr rules from OneTravel.com&quot; at the bottom of the page you will find at http://www.airsafe.com/complain/bumping.htm <BR>Here's what it says:<BR>Schedule Irregularity – Alternate Transportation or a Refund<BR>If your Delta Air Lines flight is delayed, cancelled, or you misconnect due to a “schedule irregularity” … <BR>Delta Air Lines will confirm you on their next flight on which space is available, in the same class of service at no additional cost. <BR>Delta Air Lines will confirm you on their next flight on which space is available in a higher class of service at no additional cost, if this flight will provide you with an earlier arrival, or <BR>If the alternate Delta Air Lines flight is not acceptable to you, Delta will confirm you on the flight of a different airline on which space is available, in the same class of service at no additional cost, or <BR>Delta Air Lines will confirm you on the flight of a different airline on which space is available in a higher class of service at no additional cost, if this flight will provide you with an earlier arrival, or <BR>If Delta Air Lines is unable to arrange for alternate transportation acceptable to you, Delta Air Lines will refund the unused portions of your ticket, even if it is “non-refundable”.<BR><BR><BR>

xxx Dec 19th, 2002 07:43 AM

I had the same thing happen to me. A carrier changed my flight to an ungodly early hour out of LGA. I called the airline and they changed me to whatever time I wanted. USAir was really accomodating.

D Dec 22nd, 2002 05:44 AM

I had the same thing happen. Even if you booked through a dot.com, i.e. orbitz try to get them to change. I had to make a lot of calls but they did re-book me on better flights. Patience and persistance.