Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   What should I know about flying Southwest? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/what-should-i-know-about-flying-southwest-1184294/)

NewbE Jan 17th, 2017 09:49 AM

What should I know about flying Southwest?

I haven't flown on Southwest in ages--maybe in a decade, or a bit less--but have a trip booked to DC.

Other than checking in exactly, on the dot of 24 hours before my flight, what else do I need to know?

I am flying solo, it's a short nonstop flight (2.5 hours, a bit less), and I am carrying on a small, light suitcase and a messenger bag. Don't care about food or beverage.

Do I need to get to the gate earlier than for a non-SW flight? Is the queueing confusing?

TIA!

MmePerdu Jan 17th, 2017 09:53 AM

The most important thing is what you already know, checking in early online and printing your boarding pass. After that, piece-o-cake. No need to get there earlier than usual and the lines are clearly marked. My favorite airline.

NewbE Jan 17th, 2017 09:55 AM

Thanks! Should I check the little suitcase, or do you think I can bet on carrying it on? I know it's free to check it, but I'd like to save time upon arrival by avoiding baggage claim.

MmePerdu Jan 17th, 2017 09:58 AM

If you have an A group boarding number (early online check-in), there'll be plenty of space in the overhead bins. I like to check my bag, just to be rid of it for a while, but it should be no problem carrying it on.

NewbE Jan 17th, 2017 09:59 AM

All righty, thanks again. I will report which group I get...

michelhuebeli Jan 17th, 2017 12:07 PM

I fly it all the time and love it. Two bags and a carry-on and a "personal item" for free, decent fares, good network, non-fussy redeeming of points, what's not to like?

That "checking-in 24 hour and zero seconds before the flight" is a bit like a silly sport. We all indulge in it and pride ourselves when we get low B numbers (A is practically unattainable unless you pay or have status). But it doesn't really matter, especially for a shortish flight (they all are at Southwest, it doesn't fly to anywhere far enough to qualify for a long flight).

Only when you have the high numbers in C do you have to worry about fitting your bag into the overheads if it is a full flight. But if it really doesn't fit (not because it is larger than it should be...), they'll "gate-check" it for you, for free.

Enjoy!

DebitNM Jan 17th, 2017 04:59 PM

No need to print boarding pass, you can get it on your phone. Easy peasy.

As you walk onto the plane; as soon as you see a row with a seat that works for you and has overhead space -- put bag in overhead and step out of aisle. Then put messenger bag under seat in front of you and have a seat! Done and done.

NewbE Jan 18th, 2017 07:32 AM

Perfect, thank you! If I have to gate check the suitcase, so be it.

I am going to the women's march in DC, flying on Inauguration Day. I actually expect the airport to be pretty quiet around noon, but the Metro--well, I'll find out!

emalloy Jan 19th, 2017 02:58 AM

NewbE, I heard on the morning news that some of the Metro stops would not be open this Friday and Saturday, so check where you can get off.

NewbE Jan 19th, 2017 06:19 AM

Thanks, emalloy, I knew that the one I would normally use will be closed. Fortunately, the friends I'm staying with live near a few stations so no biggie.

I got a high A boarding pass, yippee!

MmePerdu Jan 19th, 2017 06:46 AM

Excellent! Have fun on the march. I've been thinking about a visit to DC but it may have to wait 4 years.

Surfergirl Jan 21st, 2017 08:23 AM

I know you are already headed out and very good advice.

There's only 3 instances when I will check my bag on S/W (well, maybe 4):

1. If I get a low priority number (doesn't happen often!)
2. If I need to take my 2" swiss army knife (or if I accidently took it and it managed to slip through carry-on check in -- and yes, this did happen once).
3. If my husband travels with me (because he NEVER travels light!).
4. If I'm traveling for longer than a week where I may have a larger suitcase. This happened a few years ago where I was attending a wedding back east, and had different outfits for a variety of different events.

Generally, though, I am doing a 2 or 3 day trip from LAX to northern California, and have a tiny bag. Or going to a concert out of town (like Portland this summer).

scdreamer Jan 22nd, 2017 10:35 AM

Another benefit to flying Southwest - if you need to cancel or change your flight, they don't charge any penalty fees. If switching, you just pay any difference in the fare, if there is one. If canceling, you take a credit, good for a year. You can do either right up to an hour before the flight takes off.

That's for domestic - for international, you can only switch flights one time. (I just did that for a Mexico trip).

I love SWA.

UrbanWayfarer Feb 21st, 2017 01:33 AM

Hey NewbE,
A lot of the responses here are very accurate! I few with SouthWest less than a month ago and had a pleasant experience. In particular I found that Michel Huebeli's comment was right on target.

There is a lot to like about this airline, especially for short trips. I wouldn't worry about arriving g to your gate super early unless that makes you more comfortable.

Also, If you have a low priority seating number you are likely to have to check your cabin bag.

In general I find southwest flights to be smaller than other airlines, but that might simply be because I've flown with them on short domestic flights.

Happy travels!