Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What's up? Have trip to London and Unitd Airlines won't reserve seats....

Nov 6th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Willwe

Have trip for three to London through Go-Today, called United Airlines to make reservations so we can sit together and they will not make reservations until the day before departure, although we were told seating would not be decided until the date of departure. What is up with this?

Nov 6th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Willwe

Should have stated the date of departure is 3/26/03/

Nov 6th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Sherry

I have the same issue with United. I didn't book through Go-Today, though.

San Francisco to London in December, and no idea whether I'll be sitting with my husband. Annoying.

Nov 6th, 2002, 12:52 PM
cynic

United may not even be flying by then. You never know...

Nov 6th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Holly

I have heard that some airlines will not prebook seats sold thru discounters. I have booked tickets for April of next year and was assigned seats right away. i booked the old fashioned way. Not online.

Nov 6th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Jason

Willwe...
unclear....you booked a trip for 3 travllers thru G0-Today and paid for the tickets..right?But you called UA to "make reservations"--you mean SEAT reservations or book the tickets???I see it week after week on this site.If you had a TA to look after your travel plans,you would have a better chance of getting what you want.I'm all for cheap tickets.But I cant look for seats opening up day after day..my TA does that for me.I dont think you got accurate info from UA.If you paid for the tickets and hav reservations,you can get seat reservations if there are seat reservations to be had.UA like most other airlines severely limit the number of discount seats available to be assigned ahead of time.And u might knot get anything until you actually arrive at the airport.Seems to be,imho,the airlines are interested in fillng their planes first.They'll worry about seat assignments later.Hope that helps.
Jason

Nov 6th, 2002, 02:11 PM
TA

95% of the time airlines only release maybe 1/3 of their seats for pre-assignment, the rest are given upon check-in or sometimes the day before. It is a common biz practice and has nothing to do with bankruptcy or who you booked it with. However, as a TA, we do have our little ways of getting seats anyway.

Nov 6th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Doc

Whether you can get a seat assignment is sometimes tied into the fare you paid. Those paying full fare or close to it can get assignments while those on deep discounts have to wait until they show up at the airport. Makes sense when you think about it... if you pay the lowest rate don't expect to get the highest service.

Nov 6th, 2002, 07:45 PM
gail

That makes sense (higher fare, better service) - except the one time we can always get seat selection (even very early) is when we use FF miles - in fact, have seats selected for August flight (if USAir is still flying)

Nov 6th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Michael/LAX

HELLO, DOESN'T ANYONE REALIZE you're not just flying, you're flying the un-friendly skies! Friendship flights are gone since early 90's!

Nov 7th, 2002, 04:35 AM
WhoKnowsTheAnswer

I think Willwe is saying that United will not assign seat #s eventhough the ticket has been purchased. I've traveled on many airlines & I've never had a problem getting seating assignments in advance even if I've booked over the internet. We made reservations last December for a trip to London this past March on United, when I called to get a seating assignment it was already assigned. I agree with a previous post, the airlines will only preassign so many seats, but if you've purchased a ticket why don't they go ahead & give you a seat assignment? It doesn't matter if adults have to sit separately but what if Willwe has children, will they be separated? It really doesn't make any sense.

Nov 7th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Jason

WKTA
You have hit the nail on the head square on.Nothing makes sense in the airline insudtry, as a whole.NationalAirlines has ceased operations completely.They couldn't get the financing.What do you do?AA came out yesterday with their Grand Plan which will lead them to profitability or so they say.Who is next to go down??

Nov 7th, 2002, 09:55 AM
airseats

It is common knowledge in the airline industry that air seats cannot be preassigned before 90 days prior to departure. Of course there are exceptions to that rule but I'd bet it's because of the 90 day rule on your ticket. Try calling back in late December.

Nov 7th, 2002, 10:46 AM
ual

United seats can br preassigned 325 days prior to travel. Call UA back.

Nov 7th, 2002, 11:16 AM
UnfriendlyUAL

From what I understand United only assigns seating to those who pay a higher fare. If you have a discounted fare you'll stand around while all other passengers board and then MAYBE you will have a seat.

Nov 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
XYZ

As others have already explained, the times and ways airlines relase seats for assignment can get pretty quirky. But I've flown United (and other airlines) hundreds of times on sale fares, consolidated fares, and discounted fares, and they've never made me stand around while all the other passengers boarded. I've always had an assigned seat, Sometimes I've been able to get one way in advance, sometimes not until check-in.

Nov 8th, 2002, 10:04 PM
freqflier

Just because you have a seat assignment it does not mean you are guaranteed those particular seats. I have flown several times with seat assignments nataionally and internationally just to find my deats were given away once we got to check-in. All you can do is hope for the best. P.S. This has happened to me on Virgin, American Airlines first class (how's that for service, we had that seat assignment for 6 months), and America West.