what kind of neck pillow?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can someone give me advice about neck pillows?
I have a bad neck due to previous injuries. Trying to sleep sitting up (or just sitting up for too many hours) ends up giving me neck spasms. I'm planning a trip to Africa that will involve not only long flights getting there, but bumpy road travel once I'm on the ground.
I've tried the inflatable 'C' shaped pillows in the past, with poor results -- if I inflated it enough to give any support, it was too fat behind my neck. I'd also prefer something that supports the head in front, too.
Any suggestions?
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 08:14 PM

Ann, I bumped up a post for you to read titled "JaneB, Questions about First Class Sleeper."

It's some kind of pillow thing that sounds awesome. The website is http://www.1stclasssleeper.com/index.htm.
I have not tried it but plan on getting one.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 11:45 PM

You might look into one called the Hedbed. I also can't tolerate the C pillows, and for the same reason -- too fat behind the neck.

I took a shot on the Hedbed (think mine was $12) and I really like it. It's inflatable with a soft removable fleece cover and it's more of a wedge-shape than a C. You tuck it on one side between your head and your neck and it provides chin support too.

Anyway, I like mine. You can see how it works here (although the model doesn't look as comfortable as I feel): http://tinyurl.com/gpf29

Hope you find a solution!

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for both the ideas. I had seen an ad for the first class sleeper, but it would be great if anyone could give me any personal experiences of it.
The pictures on the sales site show the seats way farther apart than standard coach. I'll be flying on an airline with only 31" between seats, so I'm wondering if it would be too cramped to sit a couple of inches forward, which it looks like you do with this gizmo.

And the hedbed looks interesting -- I'm glad to hear that you've actually tried it, and like it. Certainly it is cheap enough to go ahead and try it.
thanks for the info.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM

I've found that the blowup C pillow is more comfortable if I iuse it backwards--then it isn't too fat behind my neck, and it supports my chin when I fall asleep.