Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

What airlines don't make loud announcements during the flight?

Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can be quite annoying on a long international flight when the flight attendants make loud announcements during the flight. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic do an excellent job keeping their announcements at the beginning and end of their flights, IMO.

It seems that the U.S. airlines need to make an announcement every time the fasten seatbelt sign is turned on and turned off which makes sleeping almost impossible. Personally, I wish during the safety video at the beginning of the flight, they would say, always check the status of the fasten seatbelt sign before getting out of your seat during the flight. There may not be a verbal announcement.

Comments or opinions?
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 12:43 AM

They don't, on BA and VS? When I flew SQ HKG-SIN-PER r/t last year, they made announcement for seatbelt signs every time it was switched on, and the FAs will walk around to make sure passengers have them on.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM

wally

just give it up..... every airline I have ever flown does make announcements and have you put on seat belts when necessary...

I have flown on AA, UA, BA, CX, LAN, JAL, Malev, Qantas, Iberia, Jordianian Air, and couple of smaller, independent airlines.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:21 PM

With the exception of a few LCCs that actively sell things on board, I have found no appreciable difference in announcements across the airlines I have flown (including AF, BA, VS, SK, LH, TG, SQ, DL, CO, UA, AA, OS, LX, and more).

If you want to reduce the intrusion of announcements, then you are much, much, much better served by buying a decent pair of headphones, as opposed to switching carriers.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Just fly Continental. Since they never turn off the seat belt sign anyways, they'll never make any announcement mid-flight when they turn it on.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My comment? I think you are mistaken. British Air made tons of announcements, I didn't notice it to be any more or less than flying domestic (US) airlines.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM

Wally, I have to agree with all the others. Every airline makes announcements, and they're loud, to get your attention. I am familiar with your dislike of pretty much all US-based airlines. Best to stick with those foreign ones that you have been happy with in the past. To each his/her own opinion of the airlines and their on-board service/food/FAs, etc. It's good that we don't all think alike!
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:01 AM

On Qatar Airways the pilot must love his voice... on a recent flight I was on he made about 8 announcements every 5 minutes... just when I was trying to watch a movie... it was so annoying when the movie would stop. Half of them were just about rubbish that I didn't think necessary.
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 07:32 AM

You haven't heard LOUD announcements until you have flown Ryanair.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

I'll admit, British Airways makes a lot of announcements at the beginning and end of the flights, but it was good sleeping in Business Class last June. I hope that happens again this June. Perhaps I had just passed out and wasn't sleeping; I really don't know.

But if just one person gets up in the middle of a night flight and the fasten seatbelt sign is on, should they make a loud announcement that the fasten seatbelt sign is on, or should they tell the person who is standing up quietly that they need to sit down unless they are having an emergency?
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

I have noticed that some airlines have stopped making the announcement, the captain has turned off the fasten seatbelt sign but it is our policy to keep the seatbelt fasten while you are in your seat.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 05:26 AM

In general, they won't make an announcement to tell wally to sit down, and sometimes a FA will just kindly remind him. HOWEVER, if there's severe turbulence where the pilot has announced that all crew member strapped themselves in, or during take-off/landing where the whole crew are strapped in, a FA will definitely shout into the PA system "Wally, you bloody sit down immediately!"

Again, most airlines will announce that their policies is for all passenger to fasten their seat belts in general during the whole flight, regardless of the sign; and if one's going to sleep, make sure they put the seatbelt on before sleeping AND on the outside of their garment/blanket so the FA won't have to wake them up to check.

AND all airlines will announce when the seatbelt sign is turned on, mid-flight.

This thread won't exist if some poster is more observant and less judgmental about airline practices.
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 12:52 PM

On USAirways Express CRJ flights, I have taken to wearing earplugs during the pre-flight announcements as those speakers, which are about 2 inches over your head, are so loud that I have little doubt they are causing hearing loss.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Wally-please describe you perfect airline as I don't think one exists.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 10:54 PM

wally's perfect airline has no fasten seat belt sign and no PA system. Instead, a young female FA with a foreign accent will come to his seat and buckle/unbuckle his belt when needed.

And of course, a self-refilling minibar right by his seat.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Good description rkkwan!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Just drink until you are unconscious. Liquor, straight up, with no chaser so that you don't have to get up and pee.

Another option: pills.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I guess you guys win. I'm out voted. Perhaps they shold also announce the Code Orange message--just like in the airports. And what about the three ounces of liquids. I never hear the flight attendants mention that one. And no smoking is important. Perhaps they should announce that one every five minutes. And what about your car not being parked in the right spot. I think they should let the cabin know that your car is being towed. And what about bags should not be left unattended. I never hear the flight attendants mention that one. And you know, not everyone speaks English, so why not say it is every language. You know, the airlines won't need to play movies anymore. They can just make their announcements in 100 different languages and by the time they finish, the flight will be over.

But in reality, is anyone listening to these announcements?
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps the airlines could make all of these announcements really loud in just the coach cabin. That way, if people want to sleep, they will have to pay the big bucks and fly in First.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Don't tell you with the amount you fly, you don't have a nice pair of noise-canceling or noise-isolating headphones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -