Search

Singapore Airlines vs Emirates

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singapore Airlines vs Emirates

Hello.
My wife and I are will be travelling to Europe (1st stop Amsterdam) next April, 2012. We have a choice of flying with either Singapore Airlines or Emirates.

Singapore airlines appears to have slightly better departure/arrival/layover times compared with Emirates - but Emirates is around $300 cheaper per person.

Could some experienced Fodorites please help us decide which airline would be best using the following as a guide?

1. Amount of room in Economy class
2. In Flight Service
3. Available Gluten-Free meal options

We would be using the following aircraft for your trip:

SQ: A330-300 --> B777-200ER and B777-200ER --> A330-300
EK: B777-200LR --> B777-300ER and A380-800 --> B777-200LR

Any help would be invaluable because we would like to book the flights as soon as possible. Thank you in advance,

Steve
Old Sep 11th, 2011, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Me again - sorry, I forgot to mention we are flying PERTH to AMSTERDAM and then ROME to PERTH a few months later. For those that don't live in Australia, I can tell you it represents around 21 hours flying time each way.

This info may or may not sway your opinions.

Thanks again. Steve
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 03:45 AM

I have not flown Emirates in coach (biz only), but I would note that they put 10-abreast on their 777s, which I find to be tight and lead to quite a bit of bumping from folks walking through the aisle.

Singapore is very good in economy and the airport is quite nice for transfers. Given the 10-abreast seating with Emirates, I'd go with Singapore.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 04:05 AM

If you can get the timings with the A380 on SA I would go with that, they have some economy upstairs and it was a spacious cabin( for economy)
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:13 AM

airlinequality.com

recent reviews and rankings

Emerites for coach almost always best for me

SA for upper classes...

But if I could get the new Airbus would go for that for coach

seatguru.com try for an exit for most leg room...
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:36 AM

>>>We would be using the following aircraft for your trip:

SQ: A330-300 --> B777-200ER and B777-200ER --> A330-300<<<

Warm greetings. Can't help you with recent experiences flying Emirates, but SQ has been my main business travel airline for quite some time, so do have some thoughts regarding that cherished carrier. (And the wonderfully efficient Changi airport is our primary hub for work and residence.)

For economy seating on SIA's A330, try for Row 31. (And should you decide to splurge for business, Rows 12 & 14 have always been fine for me.) For the 770-200ER, Row 44. (And for business, Row 14 again.) SQ now has more relaxed pre-flight seat selection policies for those flying Y, so kindly enquire more at the ever-evolving singaporeair.com/

SIA offers numerous 'special meal' options for economy, so your dietary needs should be met. Again, singaporeair website.

And, as for that in-flight service with those sensational Singapore Girls, no complaints from me. Fine crews and friends; always a pleasure flying SIA.

However you end up flying, have fun.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank all very much for your suggestions. So far it appears that Singapore Airlines are the overwhelming winners! And for those posters that recommended Business class - I'm very envious. Believe me, being in the air for around 18 hours each way, I would LOVE to be able to fly Business but the additional cost would just about cover our accommodation for the entire trip.

Thanks again for the comments - and keep 'em coming.

Steve
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 06:34 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Steve -

I live in Perth, and SIA is my airline of choice for flights from PER-SIN. Their economy seats are tight, but the entertainment system and fantastic service more than makes up for that, at least on a flight of five hours. Their dietary options are extensive and easy to book online as mentioned above. I always book a vegetarian Indian meal and they've been rather good. And of course Changi is unrivaled.

It's been years since I flew Emirates, but the spouse has just booked flights from Perth-Houston and return for business, having to go with Emirates as they're $2,500 less than SIA (Business Class). SIA is a wonderful airline, but one pays for all that wonderfulness.

I'd personally not have a problem paying $300 more for SIA for the good connections, amenities and service alone, but those seats ARE cramped and might be a real drag by the time you reach Europe.

If you're overnighting at Changi, the Transit Hotel is ultra convenient, just be sure to book well in advance.
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 08:42 PM

Flying to middle east from London was a great time with Oman Air. Good choice of seat, yummy food especially their continental department is outstanding. Comfortable nap and no sort of commotion, unlike other airlines treat to economy flyers. Great one! Here's the best sources for more info on Oman Air..http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/WY.htm & http://www.cleartrip.ae/airlines/oman-air-airlines.html
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 03:45 AM

Since you appear to have a fair amount of time at your disposal, you might look at Emirates' stop-over deals for Dubai. It is an unusual city (that is a very cautious adjective) worth a couple of days if you are curious.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:02 AM

First post was from 2011... I assume they have flown since then. lol