Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Visa issues India/AA let me fly (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/visa-issues-india-aa-let-me-fly-840561/)

nyla2424 May 16th, 2010 10:37 PM

Visa issues India/AA let me fly

I recently booked a ticket to India. I have a 10 year visa(multi entry). I had been there 28 days prior. I traveled on AA the first time(going to India), and booked my ticket with them again 28 days later. I flew to India and was sent back on the next flight, 3 hours later because of the new visa rule. AA in India said that AA should have stopped me in America and not let me begin my trip in the first place. I had a new passport with only the one stamp in it of my
last trip to India 28 days before. Not easy to miss. They also used the end of my ticket to
send me home. The airlines are responsible to get us home--not use our return ticket.

I think this was clearly their error. Immigration says it( my passport) says I can not fly, someone just was
in a hurry and missed it. I also booked it with my regular travel agent and she missed it. She does all my international travel and it is quite a bit. I have traveled to India from 3 to 5 times a year the past 5 years.

Question: Shouldn't my ticket be refunded or at least the last portion. Both Immigration in India and in USA said that AA made the mistake. Whom ever checked me in did not read
what my passport said.--No fly. Visa restrictions> Help. How do i go about getting a new free ticket or a voucher for my flight that I need to take in 3 weeks.

DonTopaz May 17th, 2010 03:10 AM

The OP is now well in the lead for this year's "I Will Not Take Responsibility For My Own Actions" award.

<u>You</u>, and only you, are responsible for having the proper documentation for travel. The OP's contention that it's American's fault, and not his/hers, is jaw-dropping.

Now it is true that the airline who transports a passenger without proper entry documents has to take that passenger out from the country that denies him/her entry. But when that happens, the airline is certainly entitled to demand that the passenger pays for that return travel <i>because it's the passenger's responsibility to have the proper entry documents</i>. While it is true that AA made a mistake, the primary responsibility belongs to the passenger, not AA.

The OP is lucky that AA accepted his/her return ticket, rather than charging full-fare.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 17th, 2010 05:08 AM

I agree with Rizzuto. It is your responsibility and your responsibility alone to make sure you have proper documentation to travel.

NoFlyZone May 17th, 2010 05:57 AM

+1

The passenger is always responsible for entry requirements. AA may have been in error but their only responsibility in that case is to repatriate you, but nothing says they cannot charge you for that. Fortunately, they did not charge the usual full fare, as mentioned.

What I do not understand is how you can have a current multi-entry visa which was not honored?

CarolA May 17th, 2010 06:13 AM

Did AA fly you home? It appears so. So why do they owe you ANYTHING. You booked a round trip flight, you got one...

The airlines do try to check for required travel documents but to expect the gate agent to be "expert" in all the various configuraitons of them... not realisitic.

(And is anyone else totally confused? In one paragraph poster indicates the visa was fine and in another indicates it says no fly... hmm... )

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 17th, 2010 06:57 AM

I'm reading this again too. It doesn't make sense. If you had a multiple-entry visa, what was there to send you home about? What is the "new visa rule" that you're talking about and whose requirements you apparently didn't meet?

Several years ago, I flew to Paraguay. I arrived and the immigration officer leafed through my passport. He asked me if I had a visa. Paraguay had just a few months earlier begun requiring advance visas for U.S. citizens and I'm embarrassed to say that I, a travel writer, didn't know it. The airline, also AA in this case, should never have let me board the plane, but I accepted that it was totally my fault. The officer called over his supervisor. He was very nice. He took me to his office where he typed up an official-looking letter that he said I should present when I left and would let me stay the planned duration of my trip.

Moral of the story: I was VERY lucky, and I now make a point to double check entry requirements even if it's a country I've been to before. I now have a 10-year multiple-entry visa for Paraguay in my passport.

julia1 May 17th, 2010 08:01 AM

nyla2424, are you delusional or what? You write '<i>I had a new passport with only the one stamp in it of my last trip to India 28 days before. Not easy to miss..</i>' So HOW did YOU miss it?

And then you write '<i>someone just was in a hurry and missed it. I also booked it with my regular travel agent and she missed it ...</i>'? Why is it everyone's fault but yours? I would say YOU missed it.

And then '<i>Whom ever checked me in did not read what my passport said.--No fly. Visa restrictions></i>'?!!! Surely you are putting us on here? Did YOU read what your passport said? Is this all just a scam to get a free ticket to India?

Now stand up like a man (or woman?), learn from your experience and take responsibility for your own mistakes.

And what are you going to do about your trip in 3 weeks? Get a new passport? A proper visa? You'd better get on it now and stop playing around on Fodor's.

Patty May 17th, 2010 08:05 AM

Appears the 28 days between visits was the issue.

<i>There should be a gap of at least 2 months between two separate visits to India on a Tourist Visa. For Tourist Visa holders who wish to visit India within 2 months of their last visit, an application for a Permit to Re-enter India is necessary.</i>

NoFlyZone May 17th, 2010 08:15 AM

Great catch, Patty!

Never been an issue for me but I now know that multi-entry does not always mean entry whenever you want.

And I can see how that would be missed by an airline agent as it is indeed pretty obscure.

Patty May 17th, 2010 08:24 AM

While the information was easy to find (I just followed the visa requirement links from the consulate site), this does appear to be a new rule (as of Nov 2009). And if I had a 10 year visa that I'd been using for years, I might have neglected to check for new rules as well. I'm not saying it still wouldn't have been my responsibility to check but I can see how I could've easily made the same mistake.

LT May 17th, 2010 09:22 AM

Normally, I would agree wholeheartedly with the other posters here. However . . .

The OP purchased their ticket through a travel agent, and it is THEIR job to ensure that their client is informed of, and prepared for issues like this. Thus, I vote that the OP go after the TA for the cost of a new ticket to India. The TA screwed up here, and it cost the client a lot of time and money.

But, I do agree that it is NOT AA's fault.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 17th, 2010 09:25 AM

Thank you for the expalanation, Patty.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 17th, 2010 09:26 AM

No, it is not the travel agent's fault.

LT May 17th, 2010 09:36 AM

"No, it is not the travel agent's fault."

Care to elaborate? If the TA is not responsible for assisting their clients with a pretty elementary issue like this, then why bother using one at all?

CarolA May 17th, 2010 10:19 AM

Well, did the TA book the prior ticket??? Because if not the TA probably didn't know it was not the required 2 months.

It appears the OP is using tourist type visa for business......

LT May 17th, 2010 11:06 AM

"Well, did the TA book the prior ticket???"

According to the OP, she "books all his/her international travel." Even if she didn't, all she had to do was ask if the client had ever been to India -- another elementary question. Face it, the TA screwed up. We all make mistakes, but we all should be held accountable for them. In this case -- again -- as the TA's JOB is to take care of matters like this, it's her fault.

nyla2424 May 17th, 2010 11:16 AM

My mom is from India. And this is a new rule and I DID KNOW I traveled within 60 days. The TA did book my ticket both times and this is a long term visa not given easily unless you are of Indian decent. I have been coming and going up to 5 times a year with
no problem for years.... why would I think anything different.
And just so all of you who wrote know: AA in India said--AA should have stopped me @ my check in point..it was on my scan, the counter didn't read the scan. And no--I am not using it for BUSINESS!! Sounds like Rizzuto works for AA.

And what is the point of using an TA for international travel
for Asia trips if they don't even know the rules. Anyway, AA is fined money when they let someone travel when their documents are up to date but the rules have changed...and my visa was correct...as they said to me.

rkkwan May 17th, 2010 01:00 PM

"AA in India" is absolutely correct. They should have stopped you before you board the plane.

Just like that guard outside the bank should have stopped you before you went inside to rob it. Now, tell the judge it's that guard's fault that you robbed the bank, and they should let you walk.

Jeff_Costa_Rica May 17th, 2010 02:55 PM

A travel agent makes the arrangements you ask them to make. They'll book a flight or a cruise or a hotel or a tour or a transfer because you ask them to. They're not there at your beck and call to take care of the little details you've forgotten about.

If you look at the fine print inside any tour brochure, you'll see something to the effect: "The passenger is responsible for obtaining all necessary visas." I take that to mean also "adhere to the terms of the visa."

nyla2424 May 17th, 2010 08:15 PM

If you guys are all correct-why does the airline get fined
thousands of dollars per person they let fly without making sure the visa restrictions are followed. Not the passenger> They are required to send each person back to their original departure. There were 10 people on my flight with this same problem. ( same visa with stay upto 6 months with multiple entry)
I adopted a child from India a year ago and flew home every 4 weeks for a week on this visa for 7 months straight.

For you Jeff:"adhere to the terms of the visa" were 10 years, multiple entry, with stay up to six months only having to return for a week to country of citizenship. Because of the terrorism in Mumbai, they just overturned all visa restrictions with this
new provision.

And for all you who feel like you are on facebook--I asked for help not smart remarks. So please leave out the coments
that are not helpful. Thank you.