Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Delta JFK connection 1H40M from Inter'l to Domestic. Do-able?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're flying from JFK to Rome next March on Delta.
Delta has booked us on DL445 from FCO Rome to JFK, arriving JFK at 4:45 pm,
then DL 434 from JFK to ATL leaving at 6:25pm.
This only allows us 1 hour 40 minutes to go from domestic to international, which makes me very uncomfortable; I never book trans-Atlantic flights that close, and we are not familiar with JFK.
Can we check bags through to Rome from JFK? We have PreCheck but not Global Entry.
Is this do-able?
Would really appreciate your thoughts and advice.
BNC
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am totally confused. You are asking about checking your bags through to Rome but are worried about your domestic connection from JFK to Atlanta? Are these two different questions?

I too would be nervous about a 1:40 connection ESPECIALLY without Global entry or flying in business. You need to clear immigration, then collect your bags for Customs, then drop your bags and get to the Atlanta flight departure gate. But if Delta booked it they are responsible for getting you to your final destination.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 03:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get Global Entry it might be possible.
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Even if all your travel is on Drlta, this is probably too close for my taste. I’d never do this with less than 3 hours. There are loads of flights to ATL. If you have already booked, get the app Mobile Pass, which almost gives you the benefits of Global Dntry for free.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 02:22 AM

To answer your first question: Yes, you'll be able to check your luggage all the way from your originating airport to Rome. On your return trip your luggage will be tagged "ATL" but you'll have to claim it upon arrival at JFK and after you clear Customs you'll have to recheck your bags (theres a place to do this right outside the Customs Hall) for the flight to ATL.

To answer your other question: As others have said 1:40 minute connection time on your return to JFK is cutting it close. You have to deplane, clear Immigration, claim your checked luggage, clear Customs, recheck your bags for the connecting flight, clear TSA and then make your way to the departure gate for your connecting flight. A connection time of 1:40 is possible but you have no wiggle room. I'd prefer at least 2:30 maybe even 3:00.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 07:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>To answer your first question: Yes, you'll be able to check your luggage all the way from your originating airport to Rome.<<

But that is what confused me because in the next sentence she mentions GE and PreCheck which have nothing to do with luggage to Rome.
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 08:56 AM

janisj - I agree the way OP phrased questions it is a bit ambiguous so I took it to mean there were 2 separate questions. One about checking luggage to from originating airport and one about the short connection time on the return.

By the way on questions about short connecting times responders often mention that if the itinerary is booked on one ticket the airline is responsible for getting you to your destination if you miss While that is true people sometimes overlook that the next available flight might not be until the next day.

It amazes me too that inexperienced travelers often book flights with short connecting times then come here to ask if they think there might be problems. Unless you are purchasing fully refundable tickets time to ask the questions is BEFORE purchasing the tickets, not after.