Venting my pet peeve......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When travelling in various USA airports it really irks me that so few have a smoking section past security. I've noticed this even in post 911 remodelled airports. It is such a pain to have to go back and forth through long security lines just to go outside to have a last quick smoke prior to boarding a lengthy flight. Security lines are clogged enough without having passengers repeat adding to the already long lines.

Some airports (Las Vegas, Denver, Salt Lake City, Cincinatti come to mind) seem to have done it right. I especially think Denver is on the right track because there is a "smoking bar" which requires a passenger to purchase one drink. This adds to the revenue without clogging the security lines. I believe most smokers are more than happy to purchase one drink (bottled water counts) rather than walk 1/2 mile outside and have to reenter via long security lines.

It just seems so logical to have a small smoking section inside of the secured area.
Just venting my pet peeve......
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 06:27 AM

I'm a non-smoker and I agree with you. It would make much more sense, BUT....

unless you are willing to fight all the different state and local legislatures then this will be the reality for years to come. Each state/county/city draws it's own anti-smoking laws and regulations. Some are very strict about providing smoking section(s) in any public areas. That effectively shuts down any possibility of "smoking areas". Some may not be as strict, but the airport facilities do not provide the needed extra space for a smoking lounge, and since most airports are generally public institutions, run with public money, the funds to build an addition are usually the last thing on any budget, unless it improves the intake for the city/county or state coffers. Somehow I don't think the politicians see a smoking lounge as a "good investment".

Again, I don't disagree with you, in fact I do think your suggestion makes a lot of sense, but in the realm of local political world, the views may be totally opposite.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM

I'm another non-smoker that agrees with you, traveller333, and with AAFF's assessment of the situation. I am SO glad I no longer smoke when I see what one must endure these days.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:54 AM

Amen. I am still a smoker, but part of my brain still works. So when I see so many people huddled around ashtrays right outside the airport doors in cities where indoor smoking is banned, I wonder how easy it would be for someone to slip a bomb into a trash can there. Or to just become familiar enough to security on the fourth trip through that you could slip something past.

That said, I swear by a nicotine patch when flying. I still crave, but I don't NEED to go outside for a smoke.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 04:12 AM

I'm a smoker and it's very strange but when I know I can't smoke (like on long international flights), it doesn't seem to bother me a lot. That being said, the anticipation to light up when close to landing is exquisite.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:41 AM

I also agree with what everyone has said so far. In Singapore Airport Harry's Bar is a Smoking Bar, totally sealed from elsewhere and double doors to the outside smoking area, the bar charges for drinks / coffee/ sandwixhes and is busy, they obtain revenue and pay the airport the rent, it works for 'everyone'. No need for people to go in and out ( which of course at international airports you 'cannott do' because your passport has been stamped ), it works fine for everyone.
At Phuket they did not have a smokers lounge in domestic but they now have opened one. If smokers keep to a small area that is sealed off from others I don't see a problem. The ideas of a bar/cafe is ideal as you really 'have to' buy something and that brings in revenue.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM

Would you like to know how you can save $1,500 every year or $15,000 every ten years?

Stop smoking one pack of cigaretes each day.

Seriously, I feel for you guys. I'm just glad I never got addicted.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:42 AM

Wally....You ARE addicted, just not to nicotine...
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:07 AM

This too is a pet peeve of mine! LAX has one nice outdoor atrium shared by terminals 2 & 3 where smokers can step outside without leaving security. It sure makes good sense! The last time I flew out of LAX was on United Air. I completely forgot about the new "no lighters alowed" law and had my lighter confiscated. The one nice thing though was when you did exit to go outside for a cigarette (which many smokers do before their flight) they had a container full of confiscated lighters and they loan you one to take outside with you. I doubt many airports do that but if they confiscate your lighter it would be nice to be give you a book of matches in return since those are still legal.

Denver airport is on to something ....a win-win for everyone and a good source of revenue! O'Hare and DFW are the worst IMO, God forbid a smoker is changing planes there with less than an hour layover....you can forget stepping out for a cigarette unless you're a marathon runner.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM

As I type this with my formerly nicotine stained fingers, I'm thinking about how difficult it has become for people still smoking. No doubt its a problem. However, there is only one real answer, and it would be the greatest favor you could do for yourself, your family and your friends. Good luck.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 09:34 AM

There should be fewer smoking areas. I hate holding my breath when I have to walk past them.
Smokers don't realize how much smoke and their clothes and breath stink since it deadens the sense of smell.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

The point of my post is the need to help eliminate going back and forth through security thus helping everyone. There are many ways to keep smokers together without bothering non-smokers. I think most smokers are more considerate than given credit for.

Denver airport is a perfect example of a win-win for everyone. In fact, when I've been there it was the busiest bar in the entire airport and the city reaps the tax revenue.
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM

I don't smoke, but one of my travel buddies does, and I totally agree. We travel out of DFW, and it is totally not smoker-friendly. You'd think with all of the TGI Friday's locations inside that ONE of them would allow smoking at the bar... She loves the airport in Vegas because there are many smoking lounges!
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 08:49 AM

<b>ChristieP</b>,

just a guess, and I already explained it earlier, but either Dallas, the county or the state laws prohibit smoking in any public area. Fridays would probably love to have a smoking area but their hands are tied.