Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Using only the 1st part of a R/T ticket internationally (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/using-only-the-1st-part-of-a-r-t-ticket-internationally-879344/)

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 08:41 AM

Using only the 1st part of a R/T ticket internationally

I've started thinking about the summer, and while skimming through some plane fares trying to get a grip on what they're like now, I noticed that Amsterdam-EWR was easily 1,200 but Amsterdam-EWR-Amsterdam was 720!
While I'm DEFINITELY not ready to be purchasing summer tickets yet, it made me wonder...

If one were to purchase a round trip ticket and just not use the second half, is there anything that could go wrong? What do you say at customs in Amsterdam to keep from getting in trouble (assuming that: I want to go back home and I bought a round trip ticket because it's cheaper is NOT the right thing to say)
Will they ask about the return portion at customs?

Or is this not something to worry about?

Thanks!

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 08:50 AM

Please note that I'm not actually looking right now for cheaper rates on flights, since in the five minutes since posting this I've turned up a couple to watch, some *much* cheaper.

But I AM curious about how the process of flyng INT-US-INT but using only the first part works for an American citizen looking to get back home cheaply.

alanRow Feb 24th, 2011 09:07 AM

In theory the airline could charge you, in reality nothing will happen unless you make a habit of it.

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 10:08 AM

So you just don't say anything about it when going through airport security internationally? Will anyone notice?

Jimingso Feb 24th, 2011 10:22 AM

If you don't use the return ticket, how are you getting back to Amsterdam?

kybourbon Feb 24th, 2011 10:49 AM

Whenever you don't use the first part of a ticket, the entire rest of the ticket gets canceled. In this case, can you actually purchase the ticket? I've seen websites (airlines) default to US, but perhaps you are using a consolidator site.

Aer Lingus does one-way fares. You might try them for a cheaper flight.

>>>If you don't use the return ticket, how are you getting back to Amsterdam?<<<

I assume she doesn't want to go back to Amsterdam. Her profile says US. I can't see how this would help unless you've been living in Europe a while and just need to return home. Students use STATravel as they do open-ended tickets for not much change fee.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xch...FUpJ2god7l_FfQ

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 10:59 AM

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The possibility of my spending a week in Amsterdam this summer has come up, but I'd be flying from Israel (which would be a simple/seperate ticket). I'm a US citizen and college student, however, so I'd need to get from Amsterdam back to the states for the fall semester.

I'd be using the amsterdam-usa part, but not the return trip (usa-amsterdam), and I was wondering if I would have any problems in the airport clearning security/customs TO the usa if I didn't intend to use the other piece. I haven't flown from/to many airports and so I'm always cautious making assumptions about what or will not be a problem when flying....

Jimingso Feb 24th, 2011 12:53 PM

You won't have any trouble with immigration/customs/security. The airline could come after you for the difference in the one-way and r/t fare, but most likely they won't unless you do this frequently.

laurie_ann Feb 24th, 2011 02:33 PM

Not sure why you wouldn't look for a multicity fare. The three segments being EWR-Israel, Israel-Amsterdam and Amsterdam-EWR. A quick search on kayak.com on random July dates found $1729 with nonstop EWR-TLV, one stop TLV-AMS and nonstop AMS-EWR.

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 03:03 PM

Laurie- I wouldn't do it, because in my hypothethical summer situation airfare to and from israel is already taken care of and not on my dime. If it were, i would do exactly what you're suggesting.

However, in this scenario, I am IN Amsterdam already when I need to get to the US.
I just wasn't sure if they would know as I'm flying out of Amsterdam that I'd bought a round trip ticket that I wouldn't use all of.
But it sounds like they won't, so if this does happen and that is cheaper and I don't make a habit of it, I should be fine.

J62 Feb 24th, 2011 03:05 PM

no, you won't have any issues.

I'm not sure what you mean by the question "So you just don't say anything about it when going through airport security internationally? Will anyone notice?"

But no, you don't broadcast your intention to skip the return flight. Nobody at security or immigration knows or cares what your plans are to exit the US.

Hannah_reads_for_fun Feb 24th, 2011 03:12 PM

I guess I'm just paranoid, because nearly all of my customs experience comes from flying into/out of Israel, and they want to know everythng about you. But you have a point. I guess it's unlikely that I'll be asked "So how long are you going to the US" on the Amsterdam side......

janisj Feb 24th, 2011 04:31 PM

>>because nearly all of my customs experience comes from flying into/out of Israel<<

Unless you are importing something -- I seriously doubt your 'issues' have been w/ Customs. You are talking passport control/immigration. You often have to show a return ticket at Immigration -- but that doesn't mean you have to <i>use</i> it. Technically - yes, but no one will be following you around to make sure you get on another plane later on.

rkkwan Feb 24th, 2011 04:39 PM

You will not have any problem with either immigration or airline, but you may be able to get cheaper one-way fare from AMS back to the states. Check out Aer Lingus via DUB, since they price their fares on each way. And some other airlines may also match that on their DUB routes.

lcuy Feb 24th, 2011 09:49 PM

Why would you have any problems with Dutch Customs? You are leaving their country. And US customs also won't care about your air ticket. You have a return ticket to Amsterdam. No big deal. The only people who could possibly care are they ones at the airlines, but unless you buy RT tickets once a month and ditch the return, they won't even notice.

As a courtesy though, you should call and cancel your seat once you've done the first leg. Open it up for another person, plus if by some chance you need to use it in the next year, it will still be good! (with fees, of course)

qwovadis Feb 25th, 2011 06:06 AM

Check with your carrier for precise info

but generally if you do not fly your first leg of your RT

they cancel the whole thing so I would not do it.

www.airtech.com cheap one ways across the pond...

qwovadis Feb 25th, 2011 06:09 AM

Fly last minute/standby from amsterdam to New York and Boston for $189 to us and 140 Euros departure taxes paid at airport please read the FAQ'Salso flights to Seattle for $269 plus 140-158 (estimated) Euros paid at departure. Debit and credit card only at airport or pay fees in advance, no cash at the airport. Please note this service is only available to US passport and green card holders or you will be required to have a reserved seat with a fixed date for the return in order to be boarded if you are not A US citizen or green card holder. call 212 219 7000 x2 or [email protected]

Jimingso Feb 25th, 2011 06:25 AM

qwovadis: The OP asked about not using the RETURN portion of her R/T.

Lynnaustin Feb 25th, 2011 06:27 AM

You are a returning U.S. citizen. U.S. immigration does not care what kind of ticket you bought.
Lcuy makes a good point, you should call after arrival and cancel the last portion of your ticket at some point.

rkkwan Feb 25th, 2011 07:48 AM

There's no point in calling unless you're ready to pay a fee to rebook that ticket for a later date.

Instead, you should simply book the return flight on the last day you can still get that same lowest fare. Often that means 6 months or longer. That way, you can just pay the fees to have it change when you really want to take that return flight.