Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   USAirways (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/usairways-483841/)

wingnutmwc Nov 2nd, 2004 07:19 AM

USAirways

I have recently been to a travel agent to discuss booking my honeymoon in St. John in June 2005. Because of time restraints and destination one of our only options is USAirways. They are by far the cheapest and would be the best for us. We are looking to fly out of Pittsburgh and back into Rochester, with USAir we could do this for a decent price. But I am a little worried about what is going to happen to them. Is it foolish to book with them? I really do think that they will be ok, but I would hate to have our honeymoon ruined. Is anybody else booking USair flights for this far away?

Our only other option for flights is AA. We wouldnt be able to do exactly what we want (fly out of Pitt, into Roc, we would have to fly out and in Pitt). We are not sure if we want to do this or not, but I guess it depends on the reliability of USair. But is AA doing ok? I have never flown them and dont know how they are doing? Are they reliable to book?

tuscanlifeedit Nov 2nd, 2004 08:17 AM

Hi... I understand your dilemna and it one that I know well. I am a bit worried about booking USAirways for late February, let alone for June!

If it were me, and please understand that this is just me, I would spend too much time worrying if my honeymoon in June were booked on an airline in such a precarious position.

I live in PIT and have already spent up all my USAirways FF miles, on the advice of a USAirways employee, so you can take that for whatever it is worth.

If you do book on them, consider insurance that will provide coverage in the event of bankruptcy. I do believe it has to be bought within a certain number of days after making your first payment on the trip, so be prepared.

As I understand it, AA is in better shape than USAirways.

I hope this is helpful. Please remember that I said what it is that I would be feeling, and it is not meant to imply you would be worrying. I am a worrier, and USAirways has made my travel plans a cause of anxiety for quite awhile now.

PONCHOTJ Nov 3rd, 2004 12:27 PM

Booking airfare 8 months ahead of your travel date is just too much. I recommend 90 days before your travel date, and 60 even better because credit card companies will be able to refund you the money for any portion of your trip you were not granted the services paid for. Airfare deals are usually availabe a couple of months before a specific travel date. Also keep in mind that if a specific airline is not able to provide you the service to a destination when you are traveling, they are required to occomodate you on the next available flight on any airline heading to your destination.

travelinsisters Nov 4th, 2004 07:15 AM

To tuscanlifeedit: Do you know which travel insurance agencies will cover airline tkts. for bankruptcy? I have checked with 3 differant agencies and none of them will cover any air carrier that has applied for bankruptcy. Most of them also have a "watch list" of carriers who have filed and/or are considering filing and will not cover any of these carriers.

EugeneNY Nov 15th, 2004 07:15 AM

I have tickets on USAirways for January 1st, from LGA to FLL. Should I be concerned? There are quite a few airlines covering this route. The interesting aspect of this situation is that little protection is available. You cannot book other fares as they're not refundable, so you are just left at the mercy of the pre-bankruptcy airline.

EugeneNY Nov 15th, 2004 07:20 AM

Correction. If I'm not mistaken, they are already in bankruptcy, but continue to operate. I guess my concern is about liquidation or service cuts.

rjw_lgb_ca Nov 15th, 2004 07:38 AM

A couple of weeks ago, I would have said "No problem flying USAir on January 1". Now, they've got a strike threat hanging over their head. They are in their second bankruptcy, and management have already said that if any staff go on strike, they will immediately shut down. And it would be doubtful they'd fly again, frankly.

I don't know what your options are. Other airlines might honor the ticket, but I really have no idea what the law is regarding these issues. Good luck to you.

EugeneNY Nov 15th, 2004 08:24 AM

Thanks, rjw. I think the law would require other airlines to honor US Airway's tickets, subject to availability. I'm not overly worried as my cruise is not departing until the early afternoon of January 2nd, so I will have 1+ day to deal with any problems. There's always the ever dependable Jet Blue. I can also fly to some other city in Florida and then drive to FLL/Miami.

katethetraveler Dec 5th, 2004 06:20 PM

I believe I read recently that this law has changed.

CarolA Dec 10th, 2004 08:35 AM

I would wait to book USAir for June..
Also, while the other airlines might accomdate you it is on a standby basis. (It would be bad to spend half your trip getting there and the other half trying to return!)

globetrekker Dec 10th, 2004 09:38 AM

The law was extended so if US stops flying another airline on the same route will take you STAND BY for $25.