USA to Germany? Best Price Cities?

May 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

USA to Germany? Best Price Cities?

Would like to go for couple of weeks anytime leaving USA between May 28 & June 7. Would like business class & obviously non-stop is very nice.

We live in Ind. Don't mind taking hopper to any city east/north & south east of us, like CHI, EWR, NYC, ATL, DTW, etc. to bring price down.

In Germany plan to be in BER & MUC. Wouldn't even mind taking a hopper from LON if that greatly reduces the price.

What are the cheapest routes? FRA instead of MUC & BER? & from where in USA?

You "Airlines" Fodorites always seem to know this stuff, so I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Thanks
May 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM

Julie - If you're looking for Biz Class seats for a flight 2-3 weeks from now, I don't think you're going to find a lot of airlines that have fares that vary much. CO was offering a sale on BusinessFirst for the summer, but it requires a 30 or 60 day advance purchase.

Having said that, it is VERY generally true that hubs like LHR, CDG, AMS, and FRA often have lower fares than smaller cities. I don't think you'll find FRA that much different/cheaper than MUC (LH has hubs in both but they offer more non-stops from US to FRA than MUC, but both should be cheaper than BER). You've targeted the US airports that would be more likely to have lower fares.

I'd plug some of those options into kayak.com and see what you come up with. EX: ORD-LHR, ORD-FRA, JFK-MUC etc then add IND to see what difference it makes.
May 12th, 2008, 11:19 AM

I've found CGN to be cheap (with United and Continental in different years), but the business class reqt. is going to complicate things.
May 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Air India in business class from Chicago to Frankfurt is around $1500 - $2000 cheaper than anyone else. In fact, their first class (which is apparently an excellent product) is around the same price as business on other airlines. If you like Indian food, apparently FC on AI is really something.

Otherwise, you can fly on L'Avion, the French all-business class airline from Newark to Paris (Orly) for $1750, then add on Paris - Germany and IND-EWR costs, and it will probably still be cheaper than one of the main airlines.

LOT Polish airlines from Chicago to Warsaw and connecting back to Germany is also well priced. You could collect miles on a United account on LOT.
May 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. You gave me some good ideas. I'll start plugging the data in & see what rises to the top!

By the way, in case anyone comes back to this, are there undesirable issues with booking via the discounters (travelocity, etc.) rather than the airline? Once booked with a discounter, can one deal directly with the airline re: seats, etc?
May 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM

LTU flies into DUS. They have great connections with Air Berlin.
May 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM

LTU has been merged with Air Berlin.

Use this site for booking:

http://www.airberlin.com

The airline is very recommendable and has usually good rates.
May 18th, 2008, 09:51 AM

You could drive or fly to CVG and go Delta nonstop to FRA from there.Or fly to JFk and go nonstop to BER or MUC.
May 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

I checked back & found some more good responses. Thanks for the extra help; some good ideas. We have flown out of CVG before & it is actually easier than CHI. We rented a car in Indy, drove to CVG & turned in the car there; reverse on return. It is only 1.5-2hr drive for us versus 3.5-4hrs to CHI (hate that drive & don't do it anymore!).

We had a set back this week & I wasn't able to do any research, but now I can start again (hubby's glaucoma acting up; eye pressure up; dr. appt. yesterday=good news; new med; pressure under control!).

So, once I can be sure there are acceptable hotels, I'll make the air arrangements.

Thanks everyone.
May 18th, 2008, 02:53 PM

Sorry to hear about glaucoma. I have glaucoma too. After trying several medications, Cosopt has settled the problem. No more high pressure for three years.

For hotel search in Germany, use www.hrs.com.
May 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks traveller. sorry to hear about your glaucoma. DH has been on Cosopt for couple of years. So when pressure went up, he was switched to Lumigan. 2 wks later pressure was great. 3 wks later pressure was higher than ever before! So now he is on Cosopt am & pm & Lumigan pm. Since this doc check = good pressure, we are keeping our fingers crossed!

in 2004 he went for annual checkup & no glaucoma. same week he started using FLONASE (sp?) NASAL SPRAY for a breathing problem. 2 weeks later he could barely see out of his right eye; stopped the med; back to eye doc; had glaucoma & lost half of sight in right eye. checked the Flonase website = 3% risk of glaucoma! Soooo, beware of those nasal sprays!

Good luck on your glaucoma.

Julie

Search this Thread