Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   USA, The Best Air Travel System In The World .... (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/usa-the-best-air-travel-system-in-the-world-869322/)

DMBTraveler Dec 11th, 2010 12:38 AM

USA, The Best Air Travel System In The World ....

In the process of traveling from Ushuaia, Argentina to Miami. So far it has taken me over 15 hours (due to flight cancellations), one airport stop and about a $40 cab ride at 3am for what should have been a 4 hr flight. I now have to wait 7hrs to take a 9hr flight in an international airport without something as simple as wi-fi. Share your air travel experiences and maybe we can see who has the best air travel system in the world.

qwovadis Dec 11th, 2010 03:31 AM

When I flew to/from SA 4 weeks ago

United/Continental FORGOT to schedule a crew

for my HOU FLL flight took them 21/2 hours in

a sweaty cabin at Bush International to rustle up

someone...long delays,no apology.no comps

cancelled my OnePass CC in protest...

Paradoxically www.spiritair.com the Econo was cheap

I upgraded to the Big Front First Class seat for $25-50

per leg lots of room ran perfectly on time.

Also great experience with www.aires.aero soon

to merge with LAN.

So for me by personal experince of late

the giant sucking sound you hear when you fly in the US

is the US carriers merging cutting back services and

raising lots of airfares to increase mile passenger charges

and improve their sotck price apparently their #1 goal.

Most of the airports I had layovers in had cheap free wifi.

Happy Flying,

mrwunrfl Dec 11th, 2010 09:02 AM

Considering the volume of air travel in the USA and the fact that the USA is terrorist enemy number 1 (much more of a target than Argentina), I would tend to agree with you.

Did you know that AEP, the domestic airport in Buenos Aires, is closed temporarily and that those flights are now operating out of Ezeiza, which you used to get to Miami? (Some AEP flights were just taken off the schedule, I think, but that many/most moved to EZE). That has caused some havoc for flying in Argentina, though it is apparently much better now that when AEP first closed.

I think that there would be a problem on the US east cost, if not nationwide, if LGA were to close and those flights moved to JFK.

mrwunrfl Dec 11th, 2010 09:08 AM

qwovadis, I like your Fodors name, however I see your complaints as being about particular airlines, or group of airlines, rather than about the system, especially considering that you praise some airlines.

Of course, their #1 goal is to make money and return value to the shareholders. That is how it works. Actually, that is why it works.

DMBTraveler Dec 11th, 2010 04:14 PM

mrwunrfl,

Not a bad name yourself! AEP is back open but not convenient for International connections although they do have some out of there. Surprisingly the first mini-bus does not run until 9am.

I agree about LGA but I cannot recall a time in US whan the entire airport was closed for construction. That just seemed crazy when so many operations are conducted out of AEP.