Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

US Citizens Flight to France - Required Refunds!

Old Aug 30th, 2020, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to help an unsophisticated traveler. She has flights to Paris October 1st (from DFW). Wants to cancel flights (taking a cruise instead) and get a refund for tickets booked through a travel agent using Delta flights. Travel agents say credit only -- no refunds. It appears from the internet that US citizens traveling to France Oct. 1st may be required to self quarantine for 2 weeks. It also appears as if her flight from DFW to JFK was cancelled.

Given this scenario, does travel agent/Delta have to refund (not credit) her ticket price? Any written material that gives her ammunition to use with TA?
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 01:31 PM

What fare class and when did she buy the ticket?

The agent may be correct. If she had bought directly from Delta she might have more options.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-cancel/cancel-flight

What cruise was she able to find? Or is she going to be asking you for help with THOSE refunds?
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 02:48 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience was through United so maybe different. I also had my flights booked directly through the airline and both were non refundable fares.

I had airfare for May but I canceled before my flight was and only received a credit. I panicked and should have waited but I was to travel with other people who were on my back about canceling so now we all have a credit. The flight was eventually canceled.

I also had airfare for the second week in September. I waited as first they changed my flight time, which I knew I could get a full refund for but still waited. About 2 weeks ago, I checked and my out going flight was canceled and I was offered a full refund or credit. I took the refund.

I think my the agent is doing what first happened to me. If you cancel before the flight is, then you get only a refund. If for any reason they cancel or change the flight time, she should be allowed a refund. That is at least how it works with United.
Old Aug 30th, 2020, 07:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I 'think' that if they wait for the airline to cancel they would be entitled to a full refund no matter if booked via the airline or via a TA. When exactly the flights were booked and fare class can make a difference and someone on here may have more info for you - but I'd check on FlyerTalk on the Delta Forum - there are tons of threads on that site with very detailed info about covid cancellations and passenger rights.
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 05:44 AM

If the airline cancels the flight they are entitled to a full refund no matter what class of ticket the booked. If your friend cancels the flight then they will probably only get a voucher for a future flight.
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 07:11 AM

If they cancelled only the leg to JFK, I assume they offered a substitute routing?
Old Aug 31st, 2020, 11:53 AM

The Delta contract of carriage would be the first place to look. See the cancel and refund rules: https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-igr

When the itinerary change was made was the passenger informed and told to log on and accept the change? I have received notice of changes, simply a notification of the change. I've also received a change notice which also required/requested that I log on to accept the change.

I would not accept any change to the itinerary without investigating. The new routing and schedule that they gave may be enough to require a refund. Look at the return portion of the ticket also to
see if any of that was changed or cancelled.

What was the original itinerary (routing and schedule) and what is the new itinerary?