Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   US Airways (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/us-airways-803086/)

NYCgirl12 Aug 26th, 2009 03:40 AM

US Airways

Has anyone flown to Europe on US Airways? What can you tell me about their service. etc.?
Thanks.

NoFlyZone Aug 26th, 2009 04:41 AM

I've done it a couple of times but they are last on my list. Only if their fare is too low to ignore...

FrankS Aug 26th, 2009 05:54 AM

We just returned from USAirs new PHL to CDG route, and it was the worst. Aeroflot would be a step up.

NanBug Aug 26th, 2009 01:04 PM

Yikes. What was wrong with your trip, Frank?

I'm considering US Airways for an upcoming trip.

FrankS Aug 26th, 2009 01:50 PM

Nanbug, I was OK with the trip(they got me there on time for a really good price), but the OP asked about service. The service was poor compared to the other transatlantic carriers. Older plane, smelly bathrooms, unattententive employees(a male steward wanted to brawl w/a passenger over 'space.') They were training some new people for CDG, eeck..that wasnt pretty . All in all it was entertaining for me, but not so for people that want service.

NanBug Aug 26th, 2009 01:54 PM

Wow, thanks for the details. I'll have to see if the savings is worth the entertainment value, eh?

kona514 Aug 29th, 2009 03:35 PM

I flew PHL-CDG in May on US Airways and had a wonderful flight. I did upgrade to Envoy and can't really comment on the conditions in coach.

Living outside Philadelphia I rely on US Airways for most of my travel needs and am usually frustrated at the airport due at the US Airways terminal due to poor customer service.

I did just book them for September Hawaii trip..... go figure

surfmom Aug 29th, 2009 07:15 PM

Franks, have you flown Aeroflot ? I've flown both and my worst USAir experience doesn't come close to what Aeroflot was like...

It isn't *that* bad... they are like everyone else.. you fly them all enough and you hate them all.

FrankS Aug 30th, 2009 04:26 AM

surfmom.
I flown Aeroflot lots of times. Their Intl flights(except for the loose definition of no smoking) are actually pretty good, well except their loose definition of no smoking. Their domestic flights can be bad, Ive got stories that would curl your hair.

In USAirs case , the PHL to CDG run was like an 1 hr express flight dragged out to 8 hours. Nothing worse than their domestic field jumpers, but nothing better either. I find BA and Air France best but will only pay $50 max more for that. If USAir gives me another $500 summer fare, you bet Ill jump on it.

kona514 Aug 30th, 2009 06:29 AM

I should also add my original fare from PHL-CDG was $511.00 per person including taxes on US Air.

This was the first week of May 2009.

suze Aug 30th, 2009 07:59 AM

I've had many good experience with US Air, never any problems, but I was just flying them Seattle (transfer Phoenix) to Puerto Vallarta Mexico.

fmpden Aug 30th, 2009 06:46 PM

My experience matches FrankS. Used US Air last year to Rome through Phil. Regardless of the price we will never, ever use US Air OR Phil again. Period.

rick_c Aug 31st, 2009 07:36 PM

I strongly suspect that in the next round of airline mergers, US will disappear.

It's a shame, because in their original business model of eastern-short hop-small market coverage, even dating back to their Allegheny Airlines days, they were excellent. Step by step, though, from the Piedmont merger thru today, it's been steadily downhill. Granted the market has drastically changed since the Allegheny days, but I remember when they were a true class act.

kayd Sep 2nd, 2009 05:52 AM

I've used USAir through PHL for about 6 trips to Europe (Rome, Paris, Amsterdam, London) in the past decade and all were OK, nothing to rave about but they got me over and back safely and relatively on time. No better or worse than my experiences on other transatlantic flights in coach. The least pleasant flight was to Heathrow on a single-aisle plane, but all others were on the Airbus with 2-4-2 seating and individually controlled seatback entertainment -- my preferred aircraft for long flights. Renovations to the PHL international terminal a few years ago made a big difference in the ground experience -- longer distances to walk, it seems, but a much smoother operation overall.

twina49 Sep 2nd, 2009 03:54 PM

I've used USAir twice in the last four years, once from Philadelphia to Gatwick, returning via Glasgow, and the next time RT PHL to Glasgow. All flights were on time and no better or worse than any other flight I've been on. The only problem we had was returning from Glasgow and the toilet near us stopped flushing, but was soon taken care of by a hanger and water pitcher-welding flight attendant. Well, that and one of the other flight attendants looked like she was rode hard and put away wet and providing customer service was at the bottom of her list, but all other attendants were very nice and polite....

telechick Sep 3rd, 2009 12:15 PM

Living near PHL we use US Airways all the time and I've flown them transatlantically on numerous occasions. I've always had a decent experience with good service and nice planes. I think Terminal A at PHL is fine, although I've never had to connect from a domestic flight, so that may be a different story.

The only problem I've had so far was when a woman on our flight to Rome died or became seriously ill (couldn't tell which) and they made us wait on the plane at FCO for about 45 min till they decided what to do with her (so maybe she died). That was likely the Italians' fault, not US Airways.

My one experience with Aeroflot (Aeroflop) was truly terrifying - so I'll take US Airways any day!