Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   US Air Absolutely Horrid (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/us-air-absolutely-horrid-1023572/)

AniHawk Aug 21st, 2014 11:00 AM

US Air Absolutely Horrid

I booked 2 round trip tickets this summer with US Air. After spending hours attempting to contact a human being (2 hours, 14 minutes on hold the first time, then disconnected - and 1 hour 43 minutes the second time)

I was flying twice from Albany to SFO - caring for family in California. Once I arrived in California it was clear I was needed longer than I expected, and that I would not be able to return home - thus forfeiting my return flight seat, as well as my next departure from Albany seat - but wanting to maintain the second round trip's purchased return seat. I communicated this after several hours of attempting to reach a human being and was told if I did not complete and check in on the departure flight from the east coast, US Air would consider me a "no show" and cancel the whole ticket. I told them I was not a "no show" as I was communicating that I would not be flying the departure portion and since this was PAID on my dime, and was also giving them 15 days to resell that seat, they were getting the better end of that deal. I CLEARLY asked that they NOT cancel the return flight from SFO.

24 hours before my flight, I went online to check-in and learned that the ticket had in fact been canceled. I drove to the airport to resolve this at the US Air desk to no avail. They refused to reissue the ticket and stated that the entire reservation now had no value as I was a "no show". I asked to speak with the supervisor on duty after a failed attempt at communication with the desk agent. Their solution was for me to purchase a brand new one-way ticket at 3 times the cost of the original.

The "supervisor" on duty at the US Air desk in SFO, (Pauline S.) told me, literally "Go away. Have a nice life" When I responded by loudly repeating what she said to me so that other passengers in line could hear, she called the police. The police (3 officers arrived..imagine this as I am a polite, small framed woman ripped off by a corporation) The police assured me that this happens THREE TIMES A DAY at the US Air counter and that I should pursue legal action in Civil Court. The supervisor then yelled across the counter that I was no longer allowed to fly US Air. Thank God.

I flew home on Delta, at a reasonable price, kind staff members and a MUCH more comfortable flight with people who appear happy to work for their company.

DISGUSTED with US Air's lack of customer service and inhumane treatment of their passengers. I was informed at the US Air desk that they routinely overbook by 50% and sell their customer's seats out from under them - they do not apologize for this as they are "allowed" to do this. Morally? Ethically? Doesn't matter. As they put it when I asked if they put the customer or the dollar first, "the dollar of course, it's a business"

J62 Aug 21st, 2014 11:14 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I flew USAir from Albany to SFO just last month and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Aug 21st, 2014 11:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the ordeal, but they did have every right to cancel your ticket. That's the way it works. If you don't show up for one leg of the journey, all subsequent legs are cancelled. Those are the terms of the fare. How was it left at the end of the phone call? Did they give their OK to you not showing up for the outward-bound journey? I doubt they did.

I hope things are better with the family situation that you needed to tend to.

NewbE Aug 21st, 2014 01:15 PM

I agree with Jeff's take.

NewbE Aug 21st, 2014 01:17 PM

Also, IME, people who are not themselves yelling rarely get yelled at. I can never get past a complaint that paints the complainer as utterly blameless.

NoFlyZone Aug 21st, 2014 03:22 PM

The airline acted properly as observed by Jeff and others.

What they should have done was offer to change the return portion of your first ticket, with a change fee, and then allow the second ticket to be changed also with a change fee.

Maybe they did and you refused. If so, tough luck for you. If not, then you may have a minor case for not being properly informed.

janisj Aug 21st, 2014 06:14 PM

Ani probably won't see our comments since she registered today to post her complaint.

But just in <i>case</i>

>>When I responded by loudly repeating what she said to me so that other passengers in line could hear, she called the police. The police (3 officers arrived..imagine this as I am a polite, small framed woman ripped off by a corporation) The police assured me that this happens THREE TIMES A DAY at the US Air counter and that I should pursue legal action in Civil Court.<<

I am almost certain the police officer did not say >>that this happens THREE TIMES A DAY at the US Air counter<< But they almost 100% certainly DID say that this is a civil matter and you >>I should pursue legal action in Civil Court.<<. It IS a civil matter and they would not get involved -- they just wanted to diffuse the matter and get you to shut up and leave the area. Which you did.

And just how 'Polite' could you have been when you >>responded by loudly repeating what she said to me so that other passengers in line could hear<<.

You were a no show - end of story. My guess is USAir suggested on the phone that you re-book and polite/little you refused.

bettyk Aug 21st, 2014 09:02 PM

Agree with others that US Air told you exactly what they were going to do and you obviously didn't believe them.

You should have asked to change the ticket and pay the change fee like everybody else has to.

CarolA Aug 22nd, 2014 03:17 PM

I believe we can translate this into common sense

" I communicated this after several hours of attempting to reach a human being and was told if I did not complete and check in on the departure flight from the east coast, US Air would consider me a "no show" and cancel the whole ticket. I told them I was not a "no show" as I was communicating that I would not be flying the departure portion and since this was PAID on my dime, and was also giving them 15 days to resell that seat, they were getting the better end of that deal. I CLEARLY asked that they NOT cancel the return flight from SFO.

24 hours before my flight, I went online to check-in and learned that the ticket had in fact been canceled. I drove to the airport to resolve this at the US Air desk to no avail. They refused to reissue the ticket and stated that the entire reservation now had no value as I was a "no show". I asked to speak with the supervisor on duty after a failed attempt at communication with the desk agent. Their solution was for me to purchase a brand new one-way ticket at 3 times the cost of the original."

In other words... I just kept ignoring what they were telling me and assuming that there was some type of special rule I was entitled to and I could ignore the fact that they told me they would cancel my ticket, because what I say should be the final word.

?The "supervisor" on duty at the US Air desk in SFO, (Pauline S.) told me, literally "Go away. Have a nice life" When I responded by loudly repeating what she said to me so that other passengers in line could hear, she called the police. The police (3 officers arrived..imagine this as I am a polite, small framed woman ripped off by a corporation) The police assured me that this happens THREE TIMES A DAY at the US Air counter and that I should pursue legal action in Civil Court. The supervisor then yelled across the counter that I was no longer allowed to fly US Air. Thank God."

I threw a fit that your two year old would be proud of and they told me to leave or go to jail I am so proud of my childish temper tantrum that I came on the internet to tell everyone how well I behaved by SCREAMING because they didn't hold my ticket after I told them to change the rules for me!

"I flew home on Delta, at a reasonable price, kind staff members and a MUCH more comfortable flight with people who appear happy to work for their company."

I am certain that Delta will allow me to make up my own rules in the future because surely they realize it's all about ME!

"DISGUSTED with US Air's lack of customer service and inhumane treatment of their passengers. I was informed at the US Air desk that they routinely overbook by 50% and sell their customer's seats out from under them - they do not apologize for this as they are "allowed" to do this. Morally? Ethically? Doesn't matter. As they put it when I asked if they put the customer or the dollar first, "the dollar of course, it's a business""

Of course NOTHING should be in business to make money and Delta NEVER overbooks ( After violating passenger bumping rules, Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) was assessed with a fine of $750,000 http://beta.fool.com/tulipspeculator...ng-high/39662/)

Sorry OP but you were told the rules and then acted out when they told you "yes we meant that" and now want to trash the airline for your screaming fit.

CarolA Aug 22nd, 2014 03:18 PM

Opps Left out ONE thing.

You had ONE valid complaint. Your hold times were way too long!

flpab Aug 22nd, 2014 05:35 PM

I have to say USAIR worked with me time after time last year during my Mom's illness and then death. I was rebooking a lot. I did work at an airport and the agents were great to work with but had to call twice and cancel flights and then rebook. I had trop insurance when in Europe and they gave me back the change fee even when I had to fly home due to a death. I have always had good luck with phone agents except for Allegiant. They have horrible customer service.

jacketwatch Aug 23rd, 2014 05:33 AM

Carol put it best. Sorry OP of you are still around but what did you expect after they did exactly what they said they would do? They followed their procedures and it's really your fault.

clevelandbrown Aug 23rd, 2014 10:06 AM

Company representatives who deal with the public should be trained to handle even the most unpleasant customer, especially when the problem involves arcane rules that most customers don't understand.

It seems to me this situation could have been handled better, assuming the customer explained her complete situation to the agent. Why didn't they think to cancel the second ticket, and amend the return date on the first ticket? There would probably be change fees involved, but I think they can waive those if there are good reasons, such as a death or illness. Even if they weren't waived, the customer would probably have come out better than she did.

So as unpleasant as the OP sounds, I think this airline did not deliver good service.

janisj Aug 23rd, 2014 10:11 AM

>>Why didn't they think to cancel the second ticket, and amend the return date on the first ticket? There would probably be change fees involved, <<

My guess is that <i>was</i> suggested by USAir - but reading the OP's rant, she probably rejected paying a change fee.

jacketwatch Aug 23rd, 2014 11:00 AM

Unfortunately we will never hear the other side of the story.

suze Aug 29th, 2014 11:58 AM

I am sorry for all your family troubles but when you don't show for the 1st flight on an itinerary, yes it cancels any subsequent flights.