Update on being on the TSA (Southwest) List

Old Nov 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Update on being on the TSA (Southwest) List

After several months and having to fill out the papers a second time ("We have no record of...."), I got a letter from TSA yesterday.

Wow.

All it said was, in effect, "We've looked at the record and if there was anything to correct, we corrected it. This doesn't mean you won't have trouble in the future."

Anyone else get a letter from them that said anything more definite? Useful?
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM

The beauracratic mess TSA created is working, isn't it?

The no-fly list - what a joke!!!

The top terrorists can't be on the list because they will know we know about them....huh???

but your average Joe Citizen can't fly without a finger stuck up his behind by your friendly local TSA flunkie.

Feel safe!
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I think this incessant whining about TSA is seriously misguided. TSA didn't create itself, and virtually everything they do is controlled by the people we put in the congress, either through legislation or oversight. If you are unhappy with what TSA does (who isn't) take your complaints to your elected officials and the ballot box.

To the OP, I did get a letter from TSA years ago, including instructions on how I should show it to the airlines I use. They didn't say why I got on the list, and frankly I didn't expect them to, as that would reveal, to some extent, how we make the list, which could be useful information to those seeking to avoid being properly listed. I notice that you didn't really cite what was in the letter, just saying "in effect" they said.... My experience is that when a witness tries to say "in effect", they almost invariably misrepresent, through ignorance or calculation, what was actually said, which is why testimony of that sort is not accepted.

Good luck in getting this set right with the airline.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM

It's nice to see another citizen excusing TSA's shortcomigs, and I'm happy for you that somehow you can, but I love(D) my freedom as a USA citizen and I'm disgusted by what's going on. YMMV!

btw, I do vote and I will let the politicians know what I think, but I also believe in sharing my thoughts with anybody willing to listen.
Old Nov 16th, 2007, 04:29 PM

"They didn't say why I got on the list, and frankly I didn't expect them to, as that would reveal, to some extent, how we make the list, which could be useful information to those seeking to avoid being properly listed."

I would never assume that the compilation of the no-fly list had much at all to do with intelligence (in any sense of the word), logic or competence. If my name appeared on the list I'd hire a lawyer and find out why or at least get my name removed--I'm sure not an easy task.

It's all rather like closing the barn door after the horse got out, anyway.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Cleveland: I said "in effect" because I didn't have the letter in my lap and didn't have the precise wording BUT believe me, I'm not blurring the edges here. All it said, I promise you, was that they'd reviewed records and corrected anything that needed correcting. Period. And almost their exact wording.

Your letter sounds completely different. I was looking for anything remotely resembling "you're off the list" or "show this letter to the airline" but nothing at ALL like that. ALL it said was that a review of the records had been made and if corrections were needed, they were made.

Then a long paragraph of disclaimer saying that this review was nonetheless no guarantee that I wouldn't have future problems with security or airline check in.

(Otherwise, think I'll post "you're just whining" on the "cheap debating tricks" thread. TSA IS a bureaucratic mess. Until you've been unexpectedly pulled out of a line, told you're a terrorist, and either missed or all-but-missed a flight (when it's Southwest, last-boarded means a middle seat between two blimps in the rear), you don't get to decide what's whining.)

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM

My husband has had problems with being on the TSA list (several past posts about that). He has twice sent all the documents and rather quickly received back a letter saying essentially what your said.

It has improved but not cured the situation - cured problem with AA, but it reappeared at SWA. SWA will not let him check-in on-line now and so he refuses to fly them. May try again in a few months.

He has received 2 different suggestions from airline - if yours is a common name, try adding or leaving out your middle initial. Another time he was told it did not matter or that he should use his full middle name.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Wondering if buying one of the new business class tix will help re: boarding order, even if I can't check in on line.

(Both halves of my "real" name are so incredibly common that I wonder if I can get around anything at all. (PS it's such an incredibly common name that there are more than 300 of us just in the city of Chicago alone. So which one was the terrorist?)
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM

soccr - it's obviously you who is the terrorist our of those 300.

My husband also has a very common name. I knew there was a reason he should have changed to my last name when we got married 26 years ago.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

gail.

Yup, I've learned to fashion an incendiary device with peanut butter and Perrier, and the trigger is in my Etch-a-Sketch disguised to look like an iPhone.