United and Hawaiian helped me out

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since so often there are problems to report, I wanted to report a positive experience. Those who read my trip report in Europe forum know I had to return a week early of a 2 week trip, back to SF for an urgent medical situation of a family member. I did not want to disclose personal details/ protected health info, so the DH (an MD) wrote a letter certifying that we had a compelling health crisis in the family and asking United to refund second half of ticket (I flew back in a hurry using miles instead) and Hawaiian Air to waive rebooking fee. We had another physician who would have certified the problem but wanted to avoid going that route.

I had trip insurance purchased through United (contracted to Access America) but on reviewing the 10 pages or so of paperwork it seemed that they specifically excluded our situation.

With Hawaiian they agreed to waive $150 per ticket of rebooking fees (we might need to pay $50 a ticket to rebook vs. $200/each--more than the tickets this time of year!) and as they were nonrefundable tix (we were coming over to attend a wedding we didn't want to miss) that seems very fair. We have to rebook within a certain time period, and I can only hope the miles we used to upgrade will transfer as well! But their responses were very humane, and they responded to our email within days.
Old Oct 29th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

In case I was confusing these trips were to be a week apart, cancelled for same reason.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 08:16 PM

I don;t see how a family illness wouldn't be comverd by trip insurance.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 07:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry for your hassles and family situation. But I *love* Hawaiian Air so was happy to see your post.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

There are exceptions for pre-existing or mental health conditions (with nonrefundable tix)